Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 12:37 PM

300. Scratch that, atlatl.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
300. Scratch that, atlatl.
Who makes a good Atlatl that will give me full length penetration at 300 yds, should a Texas heart shot be my only option?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Who makes a good Atlatl that will give me full length penetration at 300 yds, should a Texas heart shot be my only option?
That I cannot help with but from what it sounds like they are quite good. Good luck with the elk. Anticipation must be great after 10 yrs. I'm sorry for that answer as coming off as smart$$$. It was just a joke about the recent hot topic. While reading others replies I took the time to do some research of my own. I have heard of accubonds, partitions and such I couldn't tell you the difference but I went to the nosler site and learned a whole bunch. I had been wrestling with what idea of a rifle to get my wife when she draws here elk tag in the next couple years. She shoots a 243 and does it we'll. I know she definitely does not want to shoot my 300. Just what to do. Very interesting to hear what everyone is saying.

Last edited by KBF; 01-12-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM

No worries with your reply, I saw the humour. I'm going to have to track down some bonded 6.5 bullets and do some load development I guess. Hopefully I can get some serious range time in once this snow buggers off.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukman View Post
Should go with the 300 Win mag. Big game, big gun, really is that simple. When you see that 6x6 bull @ 300 to 400 yards, you darn well want to be sure that you have the stopping power, and retained energy, to put it down. There is no more frustrating and sickening sight than seeing your once in a lifetime trophy run off to bed down and die a slow death. I've shot elk with 270, 300Wby, and 338lapua. HANDS DOWN, I have never seen anything get up after being hit with the 338lapua, or as I call it, "The hand of God". That's my 5 cents worth, seeing as they done away with the penny....good luck!
X2. All things being equal the bigger the gun the better it kills stuff. It's not rocket science. Haha
Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
X2. All things being equal the bigger the gun the better it kills stuff. It's not rocket science. Haha
The caveat of course, is if the shooter is up to it, I'm not anymore when it comes to shooting big magnums.
Cat
Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Default 6.5-06 nice!!

Hello:220Swifty
Here's my 2 cents. If you have the desire to try something diff. I am thinking of trying Woodliegh 160 gr PPSN'S ( S.D. 328 B.C. 509 Length 1.381" Expansion to 1800fps.) in my 6.5x284. They should penetrate like no tomorrow. I like long wound channels and exit wounds. Just my thing!! I always run heavy for calibre bullets. At present I run 140gr SST's. Cheap & Easy to find. You can find the Woodlieghs at Trade Ex. & resonable too.
Regards: Evil72
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
P.S. If they can't breathe they DIE!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:51 PM

I'll ring in here and make a couple comments. I think that that either cartridges are great, and recommend quality bullets because they both are fast enough to destroy softer models at close range. Elk are a penetration game. They are not armored by any means but do have considerable muscle and bone to deal with.
Stay away from the LRABs at the moment on larger animals. Yet have proven this past season to be very soft for lots of people. The Accubonds are great and I intend to use the 140 version in my 6.5 Rem Mag at similar velocities to the 6.5-06. Other great options are the Barnes models 120grs and up and I think even a 120gr Etip or the GMX model would perform nicely.
The Interbonds and lots of other bondeds hold together well but expand very broadly which screws with the penetration side of things. The Accubond and. scirocco II are designed slightly different and purposely she'd some of thy front end to gain the penetration many prefer.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM

I shot a full size cow this morning. 175 yds with a 140 gr accubond outta my 6.5x284. Slightly quartering away. Full pass through and even caught abit of the far shoulder. No past through would have been better but it performed well on a thick skinned animal. Premium bullet are key if your gonna flirt with the line of using a 140 gr bullet or less.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 PM

I'm not a huge .270 Winchester fan but it's undeniably an Elk killer. It's track record speaks for it's self and the 6.5-06 is the closest thing there is to a .270!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I'm not a huge .270 Winchester fan but it's undeniably an Elk killer. It's track record speaks for it's self and the 6.5-06 is the closest thing there is to a .270!
Technically speaking, a 280 Rem is closer, but that's just being nit picky.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Use the gun you shoot the best with.

Well constructed bullets, and proper placement will kill your Elk.

I have killed them with a .270 stone dead out to 325 yds.

Also used a 300 Weatherby with the same effect. All were lung shots.

Given the choice I would use the 300 just in case of a 400yd+ shot.

More energy downrange, just kills better faster, and usually knocks them down even if they don't die right away.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Use the gun you shoot the best with.

Well constructed bullets, and proper placement will kill your Elk.

I have killed them with a .270 stone dead out to 325 yds.

Also used a 300 Weatherby with the same effect. All were lung shots.

Given the choice I would use the 300 just in case of a 400yd+ shot.

More energy downrange, just kills better faster, and usually knocks them down even if they don't die right away.

So what kills? Energy or holes? Please explain and prove it.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 AM

The wound channel kills the animal if its in the right place in any caliber.

At longer ranges my experiences are that the larger calibers retained energy has more knock down power than the smaller.

An Elk that runs off when hit can be hard to retrieve especially in rough country.

I don't feel under-gunned with my .270 for Elk but its not my first choice.

Just my experience. I don't have to prove anything.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
Funny post. I agree with dick284 on when did this happen? I have killed a few elk with rifle and my biggest to date was with a 243win. I killed a moose at 400 yards with the same gun. Killed a moose this year with a 243 at 300 yards and a mule deer at 600+. So your custom 6.5 is more than enough for an elk. Rich Mellon killed his in wmu108 elk with his 260ai and it dropped in its tracks. As for bullets he used a 130 Berger not a bonded bullet and he shot it through the sholder. Maybe half the people that replied saying tou need a big cal gun should learn how to shoot. A hole through the lungs is a whole through the lungs. Dead is dead and can not be more dead from a bigger caliber.
You sir, have small gun syndrome. I bet that 600 yard deer kill had only a one foot hold over too. You use a gun too small and shoot too far, truly a hunter hero. With your amazing abilities you should be on a traveling show like Annie Oakly used to do. You are a poor example of a sportsman and should not be allowed to give advise to anyone. Maybe once you read this it might humiliate you enough to give that gun back to your son or wife and teach them ethical shooting, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'm not a 6.5 fan but its a crapload better than a 243 on moose and for 600 yard shots. I hope to never hunt with the likes of you as the big "S" on your Chest would be blinding. See you in the comics.

Last edited by X bolt; 01-13-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
The wound channel kills the animal if its in the right place in any caliber.

At longer ranges my experiences are that the larger calibers retained energy has more knock down power than the smaller.

An Elk that runs off when hit can be hard to retrieve especially in rough country.

I don't feel under-gunned with my .270 for Elk but its not my first choice.

Just my experience. I don't have to prove anything.
so what kills better a 300 grain gull metal jacket or a 130 grain berger vld? please explain your answer.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X bolt View Post
You sir, have small gun syndrome. I bet that 600 yard deer kill had only a one foot hold over too. You use a gun too small and shoot too far, truly a hunter hero. With your amazing abilities you should be on a traveling show like Annie Oakly used to do. You are a poor example of a sportsman and should not be allowed to give advise to anyone. Maybe once you read this it might humiliate you enough to give that gun back to your son or wife and teach them ethical shooting, just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'm not a 6.5 fan but its a crapload better than a 243 on moose and for 600 yard shots. I hope to never hunt with the likes of you as the big "S" on your Chest would be blinding. See you in the comics.
This is a funny post. You sir have not humiliated me in the slightest. You sound like the guy who pulls his parker hale out of the closet that you sighted in 10 years ago and just go hunting and shoot only animals in the ditch. I have shot lots of animals with a 7mm, 300win,338 lapua and a few other big guns. I have found it does not matter what gun you use it is were you hit them. Big guns do not kill faster. My 6.5 has made more bang flops than my 7mag or my 300whetherby. I use the same type of bullets in all calibers so that is not a variable. For ranges out to 500 yards any gun can and will kill a elk.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM

I love the 6.5!!

Shot my elk this year with a 6.5 creedmoor and the 120gr hornady GMX.

395 yards, 5 minutes of elevation, & one round. Quartering away, double lung and heart + breaking far side leg. Travelled 30 meters after shot and piled up nicely.

What surprised me the most about the 6.5 is how easy it is to practice...a lot!! Unlike my 300 win mag, a 100 round practice session is actually really enjoyable.

Cheers,

Brobee
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is a funny post. You sir have not humiliated me in the slightest. You sound like the guy who pulls his parker hale out of the closet that you sighted in 10 years ago and just go hunting and shoot only animals in the ditch. I have shot lots of animals with a 7mm, 300win,338 lapua and a few other big guns. I have found it does not matter what gun you use it is were you hit them. Big guns do not kill faster. My 6.5 has made more bang flops than my 7mag or my 300whetherby. I use the same type of bullets in all calibers so that is not a variable. For ranges out to 500 yards any gun can and will kill a elk.
Lol, my comments where based on facts in that ridicules post you made. Your pst is made up garbage as was your original post, I never mentioned a Parker Hale or poaching. Your comments still hold no value the same as your original post and accusing someone of poaching is much different than your own immoral and unethical values with regards to humane kills, which are a matter of your own words. Stick to your 100 yard goose kills with #9 shot ,maybe you know something of value about ducks. Accusing people of poaching with no fact or even have met, you have no business even being a member here. I'm almost ashamed to be communicating with you so I will stop
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X bolt View Post
Lol, my comments where based on facts in that ridicules post you made. Your pst is made up garbage as was your original post, I never mentioned a Parker Hale or poaching. Your comments still hold no value the same as your original post and accusing someone of poaching is much different than your own immoral and unethical values with regards to humane kills, which are a matter of your own words. Stick to your 100 yard goose kills with #9 shot ,maybe you know something of value about ducks. Accusing people of poaching with no fact or even have met, you have no business even being a member here. I'm almost ashamed to be communicating with you so I will stop
You sure assume a lot. You say I sound like I know nothing but you just spew garbage and have no proof of anything. Here is a link to a video of an elk shot with a 243. I don't think a bigger gun would have killed it any faster.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18#

Last edited by waterfowler1969; 01-13-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM

You asked or thoughts, so....

Your 6.5 will work. If it was the only rifle you had I'd say go for it. I'm just not sure why you would use it if you have a .300wsm sitting in your gun cabinet. What did you buy THAT gun for?

Use your 6.5 and select your shot carefully, and you should have no problem. I'd rather use the .300wsm if you have to get through a shoulder at 350 yrds.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Your 6.5 will work. If it was the only rifle you had I'd say go for it. I'm just not sure why you would use it if you have a .300wsm sitting in your gun cabinet. What did you buy THAT gun for?

Use your 6.5 and select your shot carefully, and you should have no problem. I'd rather use the .300wsm if you have to get through a shoulder at 350 yrds.
X2
6.5 is a neat caliber though.
You reloaders have my respect.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
so what kills better a 300 grain gull metal jacket or a 130 grain berger vld? please explain your answer.
Did you mean full metal jacket...obviously a poor and illegal choice in Alberta.

The VLD is a match bullet as far as I know, another poor choice.It would probably work better that the FMJ though.

Except of course on and Elephant or Cape Buffalo,however we are talking about Elk are we not.

I only use Nosler partitions for hunting big game.In my experience they work well and kill fast.

I have no more to add on this matter.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM

There's a picture on the box of shells that tells you what creatures you can shoot with them. (Insert 5 of diamonds and 170lb test here).
Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did you mean full metal jacket...obviously a poor and illegal choice in Alberta.

The VLD is a match bullet as far as I know, another poor choice.It would probably work better that the FMJ though.

Except of course on and Elephant or Cape Buffalo,however we are talking about Elk are we not.

I only use Nosler partitions for hunting big game.In my experience they work well and kill fast.

not an answer to my question at all.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:
not an answer to my question at all.
Can you kids take this to PM, or a new thread, and not get this one locked?

The adults are trying to talk, m'kay.

Great, thanks.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can you kids take this to PM, or a new thread, and not get this one locked?

The adults are trying to talk, m'kay.

Great, thanks.
lol. What is your opinion swifty? what gun are you going to take? WHY?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

The 300 is definetly a better suited round for elk, if you go strictly by numbers, but I'm a math 33 graduate

I started pondering the 6.5, because I purpose built the rifle for that style of open country, might have to send one way out there, hunting. I thought it a shame that I wouldn't be bringing it along, but then started thinking "why not?"

I've heard tales of people getting deeper than expected penetration from the 6.5 mm bullets, and using 6.5x55 on moose and red deer across the pond, so would it be wise for me to do the same here?

I'm also considering focusing my energy on shooting more with one rifle, and being so comfortable with it, it is like an extension of my body. I used to be there with my .243, I couldn't miss. It seems as if I have slipped away with that, and catch myself overthinking the ballistics on a shot, and missing more coyotes than I am used to. I'd like to get back to that with my 6.5
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
lol. What is your opinion swifty? what gun are you going to take? WHY?
It's still 10 months away, so no definitive answer, but I did manage to find some 140 gr accubonds to play with, so that's a step towards the 6.5
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
It's still 10 months away, so no definitive answer, but I did manage to find some 140 gr accubonds to play with, so that's a step towards the 6.5
I had no problems this year with the 140 gr accubond outta my 6.5x284. A muley doe @ 265 yds, Muley buck @ 55 yds and a cow elk near 200 yds. Thats a pretty good example at all different speeds on impact. I'm 2750 out the muzzle.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma