Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 AM

No target needed. 260 prolly shot each group by aiming at the first bullet hole.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
No target needed. 260 prolly shot each group by aiming at the first bullet hole.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Nope. I've been trying to figure out why the OP would show a blank piece of cardboard instead of the target that was in front of it. Why would he do that instead of putting up the actual target with the holes in it. Seriously, I've never seen it before and I can't figure it out the reasoning
Go back to the first post, then look at the paper below those holes in the cardboard.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You met the challenge? Excuse me, but didn't you shoot the groups, take the picture and then issue a challenge? Then by your own admission in this very thread try again, and actually fail?
good one!looks like 260 will have to meet this challenge. this exercise justifies itself as an exercise. some people want to change it to a still more meaningless long distance group exercise, and sure enough a 500 yard group shows up very impressive 2 feet off the target.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
good one!looks like 260 will have to meet this challenge. this exercise justifies itself as an exercise. some people want to change it to a still more meaningless long distance group exercise, and sure enough a 500 yard group shows up very impressive 2 feet off the target.

My post was only in response to whiskeywillow's post....not the OP.

Not trying to change anything if you understand why I posted in the first place.

The point of me posting the group on the cardboard from 500 yards was to show a group shot "in a real world scenario" (prone off a bi-pod in field conditions, not off a rest on a bench)....also the original intent of me shooting at the target (if you read my captions) was to determine the bullet drop at 500 yards, so yes of course I would expect the bullets to be 2 feet off target.

In truth I expected them to be about 28 inches off target (notice the green circle....)

The target I posted needs to be taken in the context of the reasons for posting and the reasons for shooting in the first place.

Also judging by the OP's target in his post this excercise is more about prescision only and not accuracy.......so you have to be on the paper but not on the target....

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-11-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=118005

Wow look at all the ˝ moa rifles what a joke…
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 AM

That 500m target was really impressive Lefty

I'm more minute of moose at that point
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

My post was only in response to whiskeywillow's post....not the OP.

Not trying to change anything if you understand why I posted in the first place.

The point of me posting the group on the cardboard from 500 yards was to show a group shot "in a real world scenario" (prone off a bi-pod in field conditions, not off a rest on a bench)....also the original intent of me shooting at the target (if you read my captions) was to determine the bullet drop at 500 yards, so yes of course I would expect the bullets to be 2 feet off target.

In truth I expected them to be about 28 inches off target (notice the green circle....)

The target I posted needs to be taken in the context of the reasons for posting and the reasons for shooting in the first place.

Also judging by the OP's target in his post this excercise is more about prescision only and not accuracy.......so you have to be on the paper but not on the target....

LC
yes your target is a legitimate excercise especially for yourself since you know what it means but its a response to another post calling into question the legitimacy of the origional excersise which was spelled out and everyone knows what it is. i will be quiet now it appears i am contributing to the obfuscation of this thread
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
That 500m target was really impressive Lefty

I'm more minute of moose at that point
Thanks....like I said the only other guy more surprised than my buddy was me. I don't profess that that rifle is an "all day everyday minute of gnat" rifle.....but it has done a good job over the years. If things are just right it can certainly produce some nice groups.

LC
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Banned

Close to 320 rifles shooting ˝ moa I hear crickets.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I do not own any rifles that I would bet 100$ bill that I could shot a 5 shot ˝ moa group @ 100m whenever I wanted too
This is what you said on that post....

This is what I said related to that

Quote:
lol X2.....I don't want to give the impression that what I listed will do it all day every day BUT all of those guns have done it if the day was right and I did my part.....

LC
LC
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is what you said on that post....

This is what I said related to that

LC
You think this thread will even get 10 guys to meet the challenge? Good luck BS shooters.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You think this thread will even get 10 guys to meet the challenge? Good luck BS shooters.
Not sure if that many will make the cut.....

I am going to give it a go, are you?

LC
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Nope. I've been trying to figure out why the OP would show a blank piece of cardboard instead of the target that was in front of it. Why would he do that instead of putting up the actual target with the holes in it. Seriously, I've never seen it before and I can't figure it out the reasoning
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
These are types of targets I use. The one on the left permits me to shoot hundreds of times without the need to actually change targets. I typically include the load data on each cardbord panel and save it (yes, I have thousands). Using the cardboard panels also gives better hole definition. Keeping the point of aim in line resolves any cant issues. NOTE: If you enlarge the pic, you can see the hundreds of pin holes used to secure the different panels shot on this target.
The second style (right pic) is also cheap and doesn't need to be crowded so much if you are going for five groups like in my OP. This was the failed attempt I mentioned with another 30BR. Different barrel screwed on the acition but in a Roberston Long Range Hunter stock.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure if that many will make the cut.....

I am going to give it a go, are you?

LC
Nope
Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Well I tried and failed today

The lovely weather was calling me to the range and there was little wind when I left my place....by the time I got there the wind had picked up substantially and the other guy shooting said it just picked up 10 mins before I showed. I shot 3 groups just to see and all were within 0.65-1.0 inch, 5 shots at 100....not good enough though!

Was trying my Tikka T3 in 22-250.

LC
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Here is an example of what I put on my target panels ... and then save, instead of writing it in a book. I find it pretty easy to flip through to find out how load development is going. Top left is bullet and seating info with powder listed below....top right is rifle caliber (I often put the action serial number and barrel contour (in this case LP for Light palma). Under each group is the powder charge weight. Hope this makes sense.
OK...enough of the derail sidetrack...back to waiting for shooters posting pictures!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well I tried and failed today

The lovely weather was calling me to the range and there was little wind when I left my place....by the time I got there the wind had picked up substantially and the other guy shooting said it just picked up 10 mins before I showed. I shot 3 groups just to see and all were within 0.65-1.0 inch, 5 shots at 100....not good enough though!

Was trying my Tikka T3 in 22-250.

LC
Good on you for the effort Lefty! Sorry I missed you there today but Monday is typically my trip to the nursing home to visit my brother...and than today, over to RPS in Spruce Grove to pick up a new Jewell (broke one). Thanks to Joe, I will be back shooting Tuesday
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
The Gunnutz thread with the same "challenge" (but at 100yds instead of meters), has had 9 different shooters make the cut since Jan 15th. Unlike us hearty western shooters, some gunnutz have places to shoot with no snow. I am confident Alberta Outdoorsmen will rise to the challenge.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM

This is an awesome idea and it's about time somebody finally started a thread like this. I'll definitely give it a whirl as soon as I get a chance. I'm in my last few weeks of school and am writing my TQ soon and have 3 exams in the next 3 days. Priority number one is doing well in school, and priority number 2 is shooting some tiny groups.

I have nothing to prove and make no claims to be able to shoot that well but having a good challenge like this is some awesome fun motivation. If I actually can pull it off it would be a first for me, as I suspect it would be for quite a few others
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Posting this for another member.....

He will chime in later with an explanation.

LC
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Close to 320 rifles shooting ˝ moa I hear crickets.
maybe some one should explain that anything under 1" is nothing to be ashamed of; it's ok to be average; or slightly better than.
of course, once you beek off you are obligated to prove, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM

This was my first attempt....conditions dictated that it was tough to keep things tight.

That and I might try another rifle

LC
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
maybe some one should explain that anything under 1" is nothing to be ashamed of; it's ok to be average; or slightly better than.
of course, once you beek off you are obligated to prove, lee.
You are absolutely right regarding there being nothing wrong with 1" groups (especially if they are 5 shots). I see lots of targets at the Range, and would guess the real world average for the majority of shooters would be a tickle over that number. The idea here is to shoot and have fun. We all have lots to learn, and shooting five groups can be instructive.
My experience suggests that five shot groups can easily be 60% larger than 3 shot groups, and that is a reality check for many shooters.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 02-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM

260. I do believe you run the ShPk fish and game shooting range right? I recognize that 30 BR. Nice Shooting. Sorry for the derail. Hope I don't get a spank! No one can beat this guy. This is his life!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
260. I do believe you run the ShPk fish and game shooting range right? I recognize that 30 BR. Nice Shooting. Sorry for the derail. Hope I don't get a spank! No one can beat this guy. This is his life!
Anybody can be beaten, as bushrat said, in the short range BR world, a 1/2" agg is nowhere near a winner.
That's not the point of this challenge however.
Cat
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Banned

Well, I certainly will NOT make claims that I cannot support on paper as per those targets. BUT, I'm always up to a good friendly challenge. I would love to try this with a 6BR barrel that is currently in the works. But the reamer has been a long time coming, no fault of my chosen accuracy guru. Perhaps my stock 12FVSS can be up to it, it'll have to be on a calm day though. Looking forward to giving it a shot, or five.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Posting this for another member.....

He will chime in later with an explanation.

LC
so these were a couple 5 x5's i shot weekend before last. the heavy barrel groups were from my 700, but the ammo was some left over tailored for a heavy barrel sako i sold a while back. this rifle will do the agg with the brass now formed to the chamber and loaded with what it likes.
the 788 groups were shot with my 'production' ammo for gophers and coyotes, i use this load in 5 duces here, and will do gophers to 300, 8 out lf 10 shots with all the guns.
with a tailored load the 788 will meet the challenge as well.
the production ammo comes off my dillon 550, using imr 4198; not the most user friendly for powder throwers. seating depth is down at book spec.
these groups were fired on a nice day, no wind, and both aggs were shot inside 20 minutes, from target stapling to guns put away.
got some more loads together last night, trying some new powders for the heavy barrel, will post that if i get a chnace to shoot this weekend. lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Banned

Good shooting Lee, I'd recognize those red dots anywhere....