Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Default Savage 300 rimfire series

I see that WSS has the Savage 300 rimfire series on sale. I was looking for an accurate grouse gun and the price is right. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the accuracy and quality of this rifle? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 AM

Savage rimfires are not really well finished but every one I have ever seen has been accurate as all get out. For cheap and accurate, they can't be beat.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Default Stevens 305F here..

I have a Savage MKii which is great and accurate, not quite CZ accurate though (not a 300 series but indicative of similar quality).

I also have a Savage / Stevens 305F in .22WMR, which answers your question! It was given to me by a good friend. The F model is the 'trapper' rifle with a 13" barrel.

- it is a cheapie, yes, but so far its been reliable and functional
- the 13" barrel model is shipped with a note saying "dont expect much past 25yards for accuracy". I found it can hold around an 1-1.5" at 50 yards and I can ring the 8" gong at 100 consistently.
- the open sights were poor from the factory, they shoot WAY too high even when the rear sight is as low as possible. I scoped it.
- Trigger is heavy but functional.
- Its intended as a compact quad/truck/cabin/pack rifle for plinking, varmints, trapping etc and does that very well.

FYI with the 13" barrel I only lose about 50fps off spec velocities on 45 and 50gr ammo. With 33gr V max I lose 100fps.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Do you know of any iirons that are designed for this rifle? I just bought one yesterday and like you experienced, it shoots way high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I have a Savage MKii which is great and accurate, not quite CZ accurate though (not a 300 series but indicative of similar quality).

I also have a Savage / Stevens 305F in .22WMR, which answers your question! It was given to me by a good friend. The F model is the 'trapper' rifle with a 13" barrel.

- it is a cheapie, yes, but so far its been reliable and functional
- the 13" barrel model is shipped with a note saying "dont expect much past 25yards for accuracy". I found it can hold around an 1-1.5" at 50 yards and I can ring the 8" gong at 100 consistently.
- the open sights were poor from the factory, they shoot WAY too high even when the rear sight is as low as possible. I scoped it.
- Trigger is heavy but functional.
- Its intended as a compact quad/truck/cabin/pack rifle for plinking, varmints, trapping etc and does that very well.

FYI with the 13" barrel I only lose about 50fps off spec velocities on 45 and 50gr ammo. With 33gr V max I lose 100fps.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Sharpie View Post
Do you know of any iirons that are designed for this rifle? I just bought one yesterday and like you experienced, it shoots way high.
If the irons are way high and the rear sight is set on the lowest notch then you simply need a taller front sight or file across the flat top of the rear sight to reduce the overall height of the rear sight. Taller front sights can be ordered from Brownells, William and a host of other places. Western Gun Parts in West Edm will also have some.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM

The Stevens 300 will kill gophers pushing almost 100 meters if you do your part, mine looks like hell and is so ugly no one will probably ever want to borrow it but damn they shoot!
Oh, I'm also a cheap sucker and almost always shoot bulk ammunition.