Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
What sights did you go with SH?

LC
I just got one and it shoots about 6 inches high at 25 yards. I did a lot of research and have contacted Steve's Guns... they specialize in sights for the ranch hand. I am going to order a front and rear sight from them
Old 01-12-2014, 05:36 PM

Your 12 gauge looks the same as mine...minus the folding stock.

I added a speedfeed stock with the same ammo holder and a cree flashlight. I take it camping and is on my back when I go stream fishing. It doesn't snag anything with the 18.5 inch barrel. This one isn't a pic of mine but close.

I might alternate the sks in with 10 rounds of sp ammo. I doubt this thing will ever jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870.jpg (58.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Rdamours; 01-12-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
You are wrong. If the pistol grip is factory made for the firearm, it is not an alteration as referred to in that section of the CC. You are able to buy a shotgun with a pistol from a retailer and it is perfectly legal. The section you quoting refers to when you alter a firearm but cutting either the barrel or the factory stock. Let me ask you, if you installed a yourth stock and the overall lenght was reduced to under 660 would the pump action or bolt action now be prohibited? Have another look at the CC.
I'll agree if it COMES FROM THE FACTORY at any length it is fine. But that doesn't mean you can take factory made parts and put them on a given firearm to make them shorter than the 660mm minimum length.

So yes if you put a stock on a firearm, other than the one it came with installed from the factory, and it becomes shorter than 660mm, it is no longer non-restricted.

This I may incorrect on, but I believe changing the stock would reclassify it as restricted, modifying the barrel would make it prohibited.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 PM

Some reading:

Restricted:
Restricted firearms include:
- handguns that are not prohibited;
- semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm (about
18.5 inches);
- rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by
folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm (about 26 inches); and
- firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations .

Prohibited:
Prohibited firearmsinclude:
- handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that
discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International
Shooting Union competitions;
- rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel
length is less than 457 mm (about 18 inches) or their overall length is less than 660 mm (about
1 / 2
Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Good reading

I never mentioned folding or telescopic stocks, we are speaking of fixed pistol grip and everything you quoted is what I having been saying.

Hears a little task for you, find for me in criminal code where it list the minimum lenght for non altered barrel for a pump action shotgun. And then find for me the minimum overall total lenght for a pump action shotgun which has not been altered.

Your quote is good to point out to member of the forum since if they added a telescopic stock to their 870 and if in the collapsed mode the overall firearm lenght becomes less than 660mm then the firearm would need to be reclassified as restricted and registered.

So your post does have some value.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Default Another little quiz

You own a "mare's leg" that is 635 mm in lenght from the factory and is classified non restricted. You break the factory stock, run over it with quad or whatever. You go to store and buy an after market factory stock that has LOP 1 inch shorter than the original and install it on the firearm, so overall lenght is now approx 610 mm.

Is this now a restricted firearm?

One step further, I install an after market fixed pistol grip stock, and remember this non restricted firearm started off below 660 mm.

Is this now restricted?

You are failing to connect the dots and the quotes you are highlighting are not relevant or addressing the legal requirements of a pump shotgun with a factory made barrel and pistol grip. You are quoting things that are illegal but that does not apply to my original post.

Oh yeah, I also like to carry a marlin 444 when I am not also carrying a bow.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Seriously considering a new lever action rifle for this exact purpose, camp and backcountry for when the mase is just not enough (realistically that is an excuse to just buy a new firearm but W/E).... as far as the .45-70 levers go, what do you guys suggest is best to get under $1000?

I really like the Marlin Big Boy but it is not avail in that caliber and I doubt a .44mag is strong enough. Most people seem to have the Marlins, I like the way they look and their price point but all the quality related horror stories make me a bit hesitant to buy...
Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 PM

nothing has more wack than a 12 ga within 10'

most do not have the balls to wait

#4's in the face and slugs to follow

talk to some experienced timber cruisers

one friend uses a 45-70 on his trap line which has griz and bb.. he has been mauled by a BB previously

2 girls in BC years ago had a grizz attack... one had a bear vest on and the other had PS... the griz killed the one with the vest after backing off the girl with the PS

i had 2 bird dogs bust a grizz at 30' and he just blasted off the other direction...literally explodes out of the bush...all i had was a 6wt fly rod for defense ... I don't care what i had if he wanted me I could not have deployed anything

best defense is the grace of your god, common sense, and uncle marlin
Old 01-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karna View Post
Seriously considering a new lever action rifle for this exact purpose, camp and backcountry for when the mase is just not enough (realistically that is an excuse to just buy a new firearm but W/E).... as far as the .45-70 levers go, what do you guys suggest is best to get under $1000?

I really like the Marlin Big Boy but it is not avail in that caliber and I doubt a .44mag is strong enough. Most people seem to have the Marlins, I like the way they look and their price point but all the quality related horror stories make me a bit hesitant to buy...
I found JM stamped 30-30 and 444 from the early 2000's and both function flawlessly and have 1.5 inch groups at 100. I hear the quality is also coming back with the newer remlin but they don't make the 444 anymore I don't think
Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Would my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington be sufficient for bear protection?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
I have a shorty 12 gauge pump chambered in 3inch mag with sights, with the regular stock it's legal with the pistol grip it's not by 2". In close quaters the shorter the barrel the better.
I agree I have the same thing, but mine has the folding stock and that's what I have on for now, and usually carries an extra box of slugs with me. j
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
I just got one and it shoots about 6 inches high at 25 yards. I did a lot of research and have contacted Steve's Guns... they specialize in sights for the ranch hand. I am going to order a front and rear sight from them
Get the video and the kit for it too,,,makes a big difference
Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 AM

I have never been attacked or charged by a bear. But let me tell you what I carry in the woods, to protect myself from them. Or not even carry, because I don't go in the woods that much. But rather have, just in case the bear walks over in my living room and my fat ass needs protecting. Maybe the bear wants my chips. Should I shoot him?

Please, if someone is to advise folks on what to carry, they should also state if they had indeed deployed said device. Spray or gun. Or Nike tactical repositioning strategy...
Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

This has to be the most over worked topic on the whole damn forum.
We should put a new rule in the FAQ.

NO BEAR DEFENCE THREADS!!!! Upon pain of death.......look it up..its all been said before....
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
This has to be the most over worked topic on the whole damn forum.
We should put a new rule in the FAQ.

NO BEAR DEFENCE THREADS!!!! Upon pain of death.......look it up..its all been said before....
Nobody forced you to read this thread...Just keep scrolling till you find one that is BDB approved
Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 AM

I live in south west alberta and there are lots of bears. Best Bear defence bar none is between your ears. Never have met anyone from here who packs a gun for defence. People every year kill bears with guns every last year that were going to attack them but it has been many many years since someone with out a gun was attacked.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM

With bears all I have is a small bit of advice,
#1 Shoot straight
#2 Shoot to kill with your first shot
#2.5 Shoot to kill with both follow up shots
#2.75 Shoot until target stops twitching
#3 Practice shooting
#4 Choose based on penetration of chosen load
#5 Spray and Bangers are a bad joke
#6 Be prepared to change your pants when you soil yourself after a point blank bear charge
Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
With bears all I have is a small bit of advice,
#1 Shoot straight
#2 Shoot to kill with your first shot
#2.5 Shoot to kill with both follow up shots
#2.75 Shoot until target stops twitching
#3 Practice shooting
#4 Choose based on penetration of chosen load
#5 Spray and Bangers are a bad joke
#6 Be prepared to change your pants when you soil yourself after a point blank bear charge
Theres your problem 3 is 1 ,5 is 2and backward spray is proven effective and ime bangers work just fine at distance. .1, 2.5 , 2.75, 4 are all negated by 6 .
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Nobody forced you to read this thread...Just keep scrolling till you find one that is BDB approved
I couldn't help but look.
Its like an accident...nobody wants to look but they just can't help it.

The point is that for a bunch of outdoorsmen... folks here sure do seem preocupied with an irrational fear of nature in the form of bears and sometimes cougars.

On average I'm betting that we must have at least one bear defence thread fired up by someone per month.

In the end they all boil down to one of two things.
Either someone is fishing for guys that support their position on carrying a sidearm or using a shotty or (incredibley) carrying a gun into national parks OR it simply becomes a thread where peoples worst IMAGINED fears are legitimized and fed.

Either way it seems a silly exercise for grown men to engage in.

Fact is that a bear human encounter is far more likely to result in the bear being killed than the man and most guys that do see the darn things only get a view of their hind quarters as they peal away.

It just gets old after awhile.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I couldn't help but look.
Its like an accident...nobody wants to look but they just can't help it.

The point is that for a bunch of outdoorsmen... folks here sure do seem preocupied with an irrational fear of nature in the form of bears and sometimes cougars.

On average I'm betting that we must have at least one bear defence thread fired up by someone per month.

In the end they all boil down to one of two things.
Either someone is fishing for guys that support their position on carrying a sidearm or using a shotty or (incredibley) carrying a gun into national parks OR it simply becomes a thread where peoples worst IMAGINED fears are legitimized and fed.

Either way it seems a silly exercise for grown men to engage in.

Fact is that a bear human encounter is far more likely to result in the bear being killed than the man and most guys that do see the darn things only get a view of their hind quarters as they peal away.

It just gets old after awhile.
Lol yeah I understand what you mean, there are a lot of repetitive threads started...And you are right, there is even I bet more then 1 bear defense thread started per month.

But everyone is entitled to starting their own thread..And shouldn't get chastised for doing so.

No hard feelings BDB
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Lol yeah I understand what you mean, there are a lot of repetitive threads started...And you are right, there is even I bet more then 1 bear defense thread started per month.

But everyone is entitled to starting their own thread..And shouldn't get chastised for doing so.

No hard feelings BDB
None at all
Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Meat recovery kit:
Rem 870 xcs marine with extended mag, 6 slugs
Counter assault spray (biggest cannister sold)
8 in combat knife (sincerely hope it never comes to this)

Hunting or fishing: Spray only.

For all those who talk of bird/buck/bangers etc you have never walked up on a bear. chances are you don't even get the gun up if he wants to do damage. If it shows any agression, too bad, im not gonna bet on bluff charges. If he doesn't, he will leave without prompting. So far all have left in a hurry with no action taken.

Fwiw, 3 slug sized holes touching at 25 yards shooting offhand as fast as I can. Practice equals confidence. Guide gun is a great choice but I don't shoot levers as fast. Use what you feel comfortable with, and enjoy the wild.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Meat recovery kit:
Rem 870 xcs marine with extended mag, 6 slugs
Counter assault spray (biggest cannister sold)
8 in combat knife (sincerely hope it never comes to this)

Hunting or fishing: Spray only.

For all those who talk of bird/buck/bangers etc you have never walked up on a bear. chances are you don't even get the gun up if he wants to do damage. If it shows any agression, too bad, im not gonna bet on bluff charges. If he doesn't, he will leave without prompting. So far all have left in a hurry with no action taken.

Fwiw, 3 slug sized holes touching at 25 yards shooting offhand as fast as I can. Practice equals confidence. Guide gun is a great choice but I don't shoot levers as fast. Use what you feel comfortable with, and enjoy the wild.
Clover leafing three slugs while shooting as fast as you can is incredible.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Clover leafing three slugs while shooting as fast as you can is incredible.
Something very special about that particular gun/ammo combo. Was accuracy testing different slugs, did that a few times, then took 5 shots from 100 yards, fist sized group (about 30 in low from point of aim). With the standard bead sight and an 18.5 barrel. wouldnt have believed it myself if someone told me. Witnessed, but wish i had a video. Grew up in the country, shot a gun of some kind every day for many years. Hope I never have to kill a bear. But it will be dead quick if I have to.