Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2021, 11:53 AM

Default Ice fishing gloves recommendations...

So I want some warm gloves for once...I want the kind that I can flip back exposing my fingers and thumbs so I can tie lures and such. Some think like this..

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=ice+fishin...l_90cv4ao21t_e

What do u guys use? Are they water proof? Water resistant?

Tnx

Happy
Old 11-05-2021, 12:23 PM

Warm and glove is an oxymoron. What you want are mitts.

Yes someone will come tell you they have gloves that are just fine. They're either hiding behind their pickup all day or fishing in a shelter...or they have hands like Brian Brosdahl. If you're out in the wind on a big lake and you need to block the wind with your body so the hole doesn't freeze over in five minutes, you want mitts.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:03 PM

I have used similar but find most cut off circulation to the finger tips defeating the warmth of the flip up part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
So I want some warm gloves for once...I want the kind that I can flip back exposing my fingers and thumbs so I can tie lures and such. Some think like this..

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=ice+fishin...l_90cv4ao21t_e

What do u guys use? Are they water proof? Water resistant?

Tnx

Happy
Old 11-05-2021, 02:22 PM

X 2 on the mitts. Warmest option out there.

IF you have to go with gloves, get ones that are significantly larger than your hands. As mentioned above, because gloves isolate your fingers they inevitably get cold segregated on their own. Going with an oversized glove helps keep some warmth, as it doesn't typically squeeze your fingers and slowing blood supply thus getting cold fingers. Mitts are still your best choice.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:28 PM

Tnx guys....I will always take warmth any day.

I'll look into some decent mitts!!!!!

Happy
Old 11-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Wear some light cotton gloves inside a pair of mitts or gauntlets. Can take the mitt off and still have hand covered. Get mitts or gauntlets that are fleece or sheepskin lined.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-05-2021, 08:46 PM

That is my approach as well. Some thin gloves inside bigger mitts. For work requiring dexterity you take off the mitts but don’t have your fingers exposed due to the gloves. Once you put the gloves back on, your fingers warm up really fast again. I’ve used the same approach working in the winter in the high Arctic. We wear 2 to 3 layers on our hands and the first layer on our hands never comes off as the windchill is dreadful.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:19 PM

I have yet to find a better solution than just big warm mitts. I picked up some Blackfish Avid waterproof gloves, but I think they will be better for spring or fall. They do a good job of being waterproof though.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-06-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Warm and glove is an oxymoron. What you want are mitts.

Yes someone will come tell you they have gloves that are just fine. They're either hiding behind their pickup all day or fishing in a shelter...or they have hands like Brian Brosdahl. If you're out in the wind on a big lake and you need to block the wind with your body so the hole doesn't freeze over in five minutes, you want mitts.
x3. This all day. A good pair of skidoo mits and my fingers have never been cold....well...almost never. And I'm out in the open on the skidoo. I have a 2nd set I throw in that are lighter and glove style for when I'm at the fishing spot. I need less then usually. But always have both with me.