Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Jaw Jacker

Looking at picking up a Jaw Jacker. They look like they would work pretty well...especially for your second stationary rod when ice fishing. Looking for everyone's thoughts and experiences with them?
Old 11-01-2021, 02:22 PM

I do not regret buying mine, they work good, with actually pretty good hook percentages no matter the type of fish it catches them all. Fun to have if nothing else and offers you to fish rods without having to hold them all the time. The quality is good I have 4 Jackers and me and my boys have not broke any of them yet.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:35 PM

Its a good investment. You definitely get a bunch more fish topside when it sets the hook for you.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-01-2021, 03:04 PM

I made a couple, some good yt videos. And materials don't cost much.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:30 PM

I would throw my hat in that it is a good purchase. I have two of them and both are still working well after a two and half years of a lot of use - i.e. thrown in the truck and tent or in the pull behind sled with my skidoo - they see a lot of abuse. I would buy one again if I ever had to.

I know persons that make them and do well for less $$ but the cost is really not that much. And, I`m personally not that enterprising
Old 11-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Don't own one but Scott does, just be careful when your bending over your JJ loading it up & trying to set a light bite trigger & it accidentally goes off.

You'll only do this ONCE because getting whacked in the face with a rod tip you'd probably say something like J**** F***** C**** that hurts or in plain English the uncensored version = Owie, owie, owie.

There's a few YTube video's out with the JJ & rod going down the hole, another thing to watch out for.

Buy one they're fun & they work.

D.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:00 PM

They're a great investment. I have two and one of the jigging ones.

Once you experiment a little and figure how to tweak them for the type of fish you're after they will often outfish you. The 16lb pike in my profile pic was caught on one using a big herring configured with a quick strike rig I made!
Old 11-01-2021, 04:08 PM

If you can out fish a Jaw Jacker, you're a heck of a fisherman. I haven't had great success with the jigging base. But just leaving the base JJ set up as a dead stick off on it's own usually catches most of the biggest fish. Approach it from the side and don't lean over top of it...it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Also, the JJ doesn't like long rods like the iFish Pro, although it does have some adjustability for length. It also keeps the rods under great tension to the point that some people have had the blanks come loose from the grip on their rods over time. So don't use your best rods with them. HTH
Old 11-01-2021, 04:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Got no experience with the across the counter jaw jacker but my homemade ones are awesome.
Great ice fishing investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-01-2021, 04:43 PM

cheapo rods are good for the JJ

Respect wildlife
Old 11-01-2021, 05:57 PM

Another vote for worth the purchase. I used one pretty much every trip last year and always worth it. I use the jigging base as well but as mentioned above, some days it works great and other days its a dead stick day. Nice to have both options.

I made a video on the jigging base on my YouTube channel last winter, link to my channel below
Old 11-02-2021, 08:15 AM

I bought one when they were reasonably priced, not $70 at cabelas and $90 on amazon, wow good thing I don't need another one. love having it though
Old 11-02-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I bought one when they were reasonably priced, not $70 at cabelas and $90 on amazon, wow good thing I don't need another one. love having it though
yea they used to be 40 dollars and they would go on sale for 30.

Now its like 70 bucks full price.

Respect wildlife
Old 11-03-2021, 09:46 PM

Jawjackers are probly the best ice fishing investment a guy could make. I’ve fished with them for years now and like other have mentioned there hard to beat. Super easy to use and very durable and also pack away very nice. I own 6 of them and have caught everything from whitefish to perch with them. A friend has the jiggin base and does very well on walleye with it. Tight lines.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:41 AM

I like JawJackers for walleye and smaller trout (rainbows, tigers, etc). I find the iFishPro's are better for larger pike and lakers as they will often pick the bait up and swim with it. I do find the jawjacker easier to setup as you don't have to put a bobberstop on your line for the trigger mechanism like you do on the iFishPro.

I have four JawJackers (I have kids so one for each of them) and I did have one break last winter. One of the tabs for the pin that supports the rod holder base snapped off while in transport. They are pretty rugged though. For those that worry about losing them down the hole, I have used a ice tent screw and a piece of paracord to anchor them when targeting bigger fish.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-04-2021, 03:33 PM

I like em, have tried home made versions as well and they will work but find the trigger on the actual jaw jacker to be a better set up. Compared to the ones I've tried anyways so worth the extra money imho.

For bigger baits and tip up style fishing I'm going back more and more to the old H.T. rigger vs the ifish pro's. No bobber stops or clips to mess with, just as effective and you can still reel the fish over hand lining (never been a fan of regular tip ups). Doesn't cover the holes and insulate at all but simple foam hole insulators are easy to make.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:16 PM

This has caught a lot of fish from 10 fow to 200 fow I kid you not simple stupid set up that you can adjust sensitivity of the trigger mechanism by a slight bend of the wire, simply a fishing machine kinda like cheating!

Old 11-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Someone has to pay attention though!
It goes off the bell rings and the dog barks so you will awake from your nap, the dog was an additional option!

Old 11-04-2021, 04:47 PM

The jigging attachment is the poop
Old 11-04-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
The jigging attachment is the poop
Mine must be cursed then. As soon as I use it I catch nothing. Always seem to catch dead stick method. Maybe it has bad mojo on it or something...