Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-31-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Hey Zip, really impressed with your filleting job! What is your favorite way to prepare whitefish, do you smoke them?

Also really sporting of you to share that Teeny Mr. Twister technique, I cant wait to try it. Cheers

Tks for the complement, the micro jig with mini Mr Twister in Pumpkin colors is deadly, even big fish devour it, try them & I wish you all the success.

I learned to fillet from my Dad, I'm a farm boy from MB that's not to bad with a sharp knife. I've mentioned this a couple of times, I can't eat fish nor most sea food due to allergies. I get KD & the Mrs enjoys fresh fish and pan fries it up the old fashion way with egg, bread crumbs & various spices. We had the neighbors over when she cooked up this batch of boneless Whites.

Yummy - yummy .... see.

D.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:59 PM

Oct 31 …. my season ender & last day for open water at Sylvan.

Light SW wind, +4C, was out from 2:30 - 4:00 pm, the Carcass Pickers (aka ****hawks) were on this big old Pike that washed up on shore by the dock at the Lighthouse.

She recently must of died, her gills were still a bit pink, but no real signs of why just very skinny. I haven’t seen any boats out, rather doubt it was C&R by an angler, it’s been too cold & windy.

Sad to see a big female die like this, left it on the rocks for the critters/birds to clean up. As pictured she was wide across the back & with that big head, it’s est. at 15-18 lbs & approx. 42-43” long, if she was healthy & in the Spring she would be over 20#.

Was a fun day, got 9 Whites in net, released the big ones with fat bellies & bonked 5 smaller males for the Mrs & G-Maw/G-Paw to share. They were hitting hard, found them closer to the main Pier scattered from 8 to 12 FOW. Mini Mr Twister grub, killed them.

A few pic’s for everyone including my favorite cheer leader to enjoy. Looking forward to hard water season opens on December 11th.

Cheers

David.

Note: If you look to the left of the first pic you can see the Pike, that's were she washed up.

Halloween Bag full of Treats for the Mrs.

Looking Forward to Starring Down the Hole Again on Dec 11th ???

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-31-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:02 AM

Nice! That is a fat white for Sylvan for sure. And that is one skinny and long pike alright.

Thanks for posting the report.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:17 AM

Thanks so much for all your wonderful pictures of the pumpkins floating in the water and the Canadian geese and most of all the 1.5 lb whitefish...not being sarcastic, I really mean it. I posted a picture of a nice fish once then I judged the response and then I realized there's thousands of other anglers out here with fish flopping beside their tents and they aren't posting a picture of every little whitefish they caught. So I quit, I figured maybe nobody really cares, or there would be thousands of pictures and posts of little whitefish from sylvan every day on this forum... so I think my theory that nobody cares was probably a reasonable assumption.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Thanks so much for all your wonderful pictures of the pumpkins floating in the water and the Canadian geese and most of all the 1.5 lb whitefish...not being sarcastic, I really mean it. I posted a picture of a nice fish once then I judged the response and then I realized there's thousands of other anglers out here with fish flopping beside their tents and they aren't posting a picture of every little whitefish they caught. So I quit, I figured maybe nobody really cares, or there would be thousands of pictures and posts of little whitefish from sylvan every day on this forum... so I think my theory that nobody cares was probably a reasonable assumption.
Hi ... I'm pleased you enjoyed some of my pic's. I would agree Sylvan Whites aren't all that big compared to the one's I've caught in Gull or others have caught in Pigeon but there still fun to catch on light tackle and the Mrs tells me the smaller ones are good eating.

That said, there's guys who still struggle to catch Whites both on open or hard water, it's fineness fishin and I hope some of my tips & techniques I share in my threads will help improve their success when they're out here with kids, friends & family.

I get a lot of P/M about Sylvan Whites & respond to all of them, from my perspective I think members here really do care and I would like to see more members contribute, too. That would make this forum a better place.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Hi ... I'm pleased you enjoyed some of my pic's. I would agree Sylvan Whites aren't all that big compared to the one's I've caught in Gull or others have caught in Pigeon but there still fun to catch on light tackle and the Mrs tells me the smaller ones are good eating.

That said, there's guys who still struggle to catch Whites both on open or hard water, it's fineness fishin and I hope some of my tips & techniques I share in my threads will help improve their success when they're out here with kids, friends & family.

I get a lot of P/M about Sylvan Whites & respond to all of them, from my perspective I think members here really do care and I would like to see more members contribute, too. That would make this forum a better place.

Cheers

D.

Well said Zip! That last paragraph is the best part. And I know you mean it. Finding someone that genuinely wants to help others is not common. I.e. you are not common and I thank you for it
Old 11-01-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Well said Zip! That last paragraph is the best part. And I know you mean it. Finding someone that genuinely wants to help others is not common. I.e. you are not common and I thank you for it

Mr Snap .... tks for the kind words, I would tip my hat to you & say the same thank-you for you're contributions. There's a bunch of guys here who really do care & try to make this forum a better place.

I would like to see it grow with more positive input and more reports with pic's from forum members this hard water season.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:03 PM

Of all Alberta Game Fish, the lake whites are often under utilized.

At Calling, when there was commercial fishing, the allotment was in the 50,000 kilo range while walleye was typically 1500 kilo quota.

The removal of the whites increased the forage base for the perch, pike, walleye, and kept the balance for the quality fishery.

Sad part, none of us have mastered whites in the fall at Calling. There are some absolute tanks in there.

Not the Jumbos that used to be caught at Hanmore, Rock Island, Smoke or Orloff, but still pretty big by any standard. Now if we could only crack that secret....

Drewski
Old 11-02-2021, 12:30 PM

D/C ... Too bad I live so far away, I'd be out there with you. Give it time, I'm sure you'll crack the secret code.

It's Calling out to you!

Cheers

D.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:33 PM

Drewski, I haven't cracked the Calling whitefish code either. Only tried for them in earnest 2 years ago off Volkswagon in early November. Nothing what works elsewhere worked at calling. They were literally bumping into the boat...a lot of whites for sure. Nice size like you say.

By the time I hit Calling on the ice it is usually after I've satisfied the whitefish itch at Pigeon and I target other species at Calling. So haven't really tried through the ice. But, they do seem to be a particular challenge regardless.

Once you figure out what they are eating it should fall into place.