Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2021, 11:03 AM

Default Kayak Fishing Accessories

Hey all! My latest post on the blog is up and its all about the kayak fishing accessories I've been using the last few seasons. Check it out here:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/h...g-accessories/

My question for you is what gear should I try out next? A new sonar is on my list but is there anything you have been using during this open water season you cant live without?

Old 10-30-2021, 06:16 PM

Suggestions on things to try? Here's a few that I use with my Hobie PA:

Earth Magnets. the little round ones with the adhesive tape already on one side - about the size of a nickel. Stick them all over your yak, as a place to temporarily park a lure, fly, pliers, knife, while you're dealing with something else.

Stealth Rod Holders. Check out their QR2 holders. Most holders are built for someone standing or sitting right over them. in a yak, you're often reaching sideways for you rod, and then fighting the holder to get it free. Stealth holders are accessible from almost any angle.

Try retractable dog leashes and a small cleat for your anchor system. Stores the 'rope' out of the way, and is inexpensive.

A clamp-on stroller umbrella for your seat back. Clamped on loosely, - so you can nudge it out of the way with your elbow when fighting a fish. But it can keep the sun from doing its damage to your skin on those long, sunny days.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:11 PM

Great article. Where did you get the mounts that your net holder fits into or what is that item? That would be a great addition for when I get my kayak. Thanks for the great ideas and suggestions.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:54 PM

Thumper - Thanks for the suggestions! That magnet idea is a slick setup! I was looking at those new Gruv mounts for jigs and hard baits but magnets are so much simpler.

I've seen the umbrella in use but I'm a bit of a sun junkie. I like being out in it all day but I probably spend more on sunscreen that way.

Fishingnut - That net holder is the Yakattack Rotogrip, I'll link it below. They are designed for paddles which have a thicker shaft but a bit of hockey tape fixes it right up.

https://aqoutdoors.com/collections/k...UaAgd_EALw_wcB

What about the boat guys? Whats on your boat that you reach for every trip and can't live without?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:33 PM

Can't live without on my yak list:

- Lowrance 9" sonar
- Anchor Wizard
- Motorguide electric trolling motor
- Feel Free cooler
- Rain Gear
- Maui Jim sunglasses with built in readers

I just re-read this and realize I'm sounding kind of elitist ... lol But honestly, as you get a little older you really appreciate the creature comforts that make the day go smoother!
Old 11-01-2021, 10:10 PM

Haha I dont think you're elitist - yet! No livescope lol.

I do like that anchor wizard though, it will follow me to every kayak. One of my winter projects will be mounting one to my canoe.