Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: 308 win vs 7mm rem mag
308 win 120 45.28%
7mm rem mag 145 54.72%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2021, 12:40 PM

I like a 22” barrel better then 24”. If I’m walking.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Darn near every time i take another rifle besides my 300wsm i see a target well out of range of my ex. 7mm-08. So if your not strictly in bush and a 300 yard shot is possible take the 7mm.
Lol funny how that works eh. Well the fact that my .308 is topped with a 1.5-5 x 20mm, and my 7mm mag has a 3-9 x 40mm, would for sure make that long shot easier with the 7mm.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:49 PM

I have gone after elk and moose with my 30-30.
My other rifle is a model 88 in topic calibre.
The 308 gets the vote from me.
On a side note. I dropped a cow moose with a cast Lee
200gr round nose gas checked Boolit plus countless deer
with my 88.

Huntsman
Old 10-16-2021, 04:58 PM

Default One Question?

I have one question to better help answer your dilema, are the animals wearing bullet proof vests? If not then it doesnt really matter. You shoot any game animal in the heart and lungs and dies. Simple.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:55 PM

My first deal on a hunt was 5 decades ago when i went to see my brother logging and he asked me if i wanted to go out in the morning with a guy working in that area on a moose hunt, i don't think i slept that night

When i seen the man i was a intimated buy his size and how serious he was, i was 11 or 12 years of age years and never even seen a grouse shot,nothing at all or ever seen a rifle.

We started walking and i could barely keep up with this guy .We arrived at a pond and there was a large bull in the water feeding and he told me to stay back and watch, my heart was pounding just seeing the moose.

He got maybe 30 yards from that moose and every time it put his head under water to feed he would fire 2 or 3 shots, the bull didn't know he was hit and put his head under and 3 more shots ,then it just walked out of the pond and we backed off.

I heard the bull breathing hard gasping then blowing hard for air then it stopped ,he went over and the bull was dead, i picked up a brass to keep thinking it was cool since it was a 22mag casing the biggest i had seen up to that day.

So i learnt a 22 mag can kill a moose, so a 308 would most definitely work.

Fast fast forward 20 years i take friend out and he shots a moose with his 308 ,but he hit's it far back and the bull runs off,308 or 7mm a bad shot is a bad shot which hit a small poplar 6 feet high and the bullet changed direction, this can happen to anyone, but where i was hunting i was oka to shoot my friends moose legally or party hunt .But we have to be in calling distance or seeing each other both having a legal moose license .

The bull was in 8 foot alders and i could see just a rack on the move so i told the guy when he hits the hill about 500yrds away shoot and i will back you up.

The bull was slowly walking and when he came into that opening my friend fired 2 shots and the bull just kept walking ,i new my POI at 500 so i fired and the moose dropped.

I still hunt with a 308,270,7mm, others ,but from that day on my go to rifle on a serious hunt specially if i took a couple friends out was my 7mm, only 2 other times in 30 years that something went wrong and i helped finish it off at much further distances ,lucky shots or not it doesn't matter, my 7mm did it's job just incase something goes wrong in there 300 yard zone.

In the right hands of real good shooter the 308 would have done the job for the first guy, the other 2 no way.

When i walk thick bush i carry my 308 or 3030 and if i know i have maybe an open area i take my 7mm because it's great caliber and cartridge that i just got use to and i handled well.

My 30 30 was at my bed side for 30 year and i shot bears inside my atco from my bed at 7 feet ,,shot bears tearing up the back of my truck with just 223 ,dropped right now.

So both will work ,but there 2 totally different cartridge's. Plus i would take the one with the better optic just incase.

No one ,but you can decide,but you must have purchased the 7mm for some sort of reason or you won't own it. Plus you know which you would take depending on your hunt or you won't own them???

To each there own and i wasn't surprised with the 7mm in front on the poll,it always has been a top choice to a very large group of hunters.

They can't all be wrong , in the right hands a very large range of cartridges are all good.Then again there are more poor shooters then good ones and that there is the teller of the final seen on any hunt with any cartridge ,plus the 22mag is not on my list at all. Just a memory that changed my life for the better in loving to hunt.

Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD848; 10-17-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:17 AM

I know the 7mm rem mag is the sporting cartridge and it's great for that. But, for me, I like to shoot my rifles a lot and 7mm isn't affordable in that way. So I choose .308 since it's a military caliber I can get cheap ammo for if I just want to practice or plink. Still good loading options for hunting and lots available.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:50 AM

The only problem with the .308 is that it’s not that sexy by today’s standards. But dead is dead, sexy or not, and the .308 just plain works at normal ranges.

The only time sexy may kill faster is if you’re an old codger with a hot 20 year old sexy nubile…then it may come into play. But if a guy has to go…..
Old 10-27-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
So i learnt a 22 mag can kill a moose, so a 308 would most definitely work.
This reminds me of a story my hunting partner's father told me. Frank (my hunting partner's dad) passed away in 2012 in his 80's.

So I'm out with Frank one day sitting in a favorite location having lunch and I ask him, "How old were you when you got your first moose?" His response, "Well, I was 9 years old and out hunting upland game with my .22 when I saw this big eyeball looking at me through the bush..."

One round from a .22 LR through the eyeball into the brain. It was dead before it hit the ground.

I'm a .308 guy. I picked that caliber for several reasons. The biggest being availability and price of ammo. Even if you reload, it's still more expensive to fire a magnum than it is a .308. If you don't reload then there just isn't as big a selection of ammo availble for the magnums as there is a .308

I've taken several bull moose, several cow elk and many deer with my .308

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 10-27-2021, 02:51 PM

I'm surprised the almighty 6.5 Grendel hasn't been suggested yet...
Old 10-27-2021, 03:10 PM

I was gonna say use a .416 Rigby, it should be adequate. Just for the 'Wow!' factor.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-27-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:29 AM

7mm rem mag pulled well ahead in the poll, interesting!

Although I did take the .308 and managed to shoot a buck. No elk, they're ghosts.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:30 AM

I have both, and theyre great calibres, but I would take the 375H&H because if I'm gonna shoot a once in a lifetime animal its gonna be a big one!
Old 11-01-2021, 05:49 PM

The .308 will do 95% of all the jobs when hunting. Fact is most people rarely shoot much over 200 even in practice. It seems to me that when most people are zeroing their gun at 200 yards they do an inch and a half high at 100. if you were a long range shooterI which I would consider starting about 450 yards and more. If you are planning on hunting at those distances I think it’s time to step up to the 7 mag. The thing is it is more fun to practice with a lighter calibre and also cheaper therefore you will probably become more proficient with it.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:58 PM

I like 'em both!

If I HAD to pick, though, the 7mm Rem Mag. has always been my go-to. But I would never say no to a .308!
Old 11-01-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
The .308 will do 95% of all the jobs when hunting. Fact is most people rarely shoot much over 200 even in practice. It seems to me that when most people are zeroing their gun at 200 yards they do an inch and a half high at 100. if you were a long range shooterI which I would consider starting about 450 yards and more. If you are planning on hunting at those distances I think it’s time to step up to the 7 mag. The thing is it is more fun to practice with a lighter calibre and also cheaper therefore you will probably become more proficient with it.
I think the OP asked about "under 300 yards"

However , (for the thread drift ) I know of no serious and competent long range shooters that do not zero and check their POI right out to their maximum range , I also know of no serious and competent true long range shooters that use MPBR as a system to hunt with.
Far bigger cartridges than the .308 are all used by the long rangers I associate with.
Cat
Old 11-01-2021, 06:01 PM

Default Have you priced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
I know the 7mm rem mag is the sporting cartridge and it's great for that. But, for me, I like to shoot my rifles a lot and 7mm isn't affordable in that way. So I choose .308 since it's a military caliber I can get cheap ammo for if I just want to practice or plink. Still good loading options for hunting and lots available.
"Cheap" military ammo these days .........if you can find it?
Old 11-01-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think the OP asked about "under 300 yards"

However , (for the thread drift ) I know of no serious and competent long range shooters that do not zero and check their POI right out to their maximum range , I also know of no serious and competent true long range shooters that use MPBR as a system to hunt with.
Far bigger cartridges than the .308 are all used by the long rangers I associate with.
Cat
We are very much in agreement. My comment was for the average hunter. Guys that claim they are good out to…
Serious long range shooters of course check all distances and practice at them.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:19 PM

Default 308

Practice like crazy... less recoil might mean you look forward to practicing. shoot some animals with it... then scratch the itch and shoot a 7mm then decide for good.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The 7 mm outperforms the 308 at range. More ft lbs,flatter and the recoil is very bearable.For Elk its a better cartridge,they are 3-4 times as big as deer and very hard to kill unless you are within the calibers capability.The 7 gives you more of what you want for Elk.
That's why I have one.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-01-2021, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I'm surprised the almighty 6.5 Grendel hasn't been suggested yet...
Ha!
I wonder what stinky is up to these days?
Old 11-01-2021, 07:21 PM

Every trip I take starts with me debating which of these rifles to pull from the safe.

*308 is easier to carry
*308 is more fun to shoot at the range
*308 is comparable at my realistic hunting shot ranges

The 308's only problem? Its not a 7...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:32 PM

Default .308

Here I thought everyone but me had changed over to .300 Win mags! I use a .308, which has worked well for me most of my hunts since I was a teen. .308 is more than enough gun and as was pointed out quickly in the beginning. Never really bought into the need for magnums, but Each to their own.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:03 AM

I have multiple different cartridges on hand from 243 win, to 7mm Rem Mag, with others available to me upon request as big as 338 Win. I reach for either the 308 or the 7RM routinely. Hunting, where most people would shoot, I don't think it matters.

Yes, at a little bit more than the normal hunting ranges, ballistically at least, the 7RM is a little bit better. But if you start shooting the rifle, learn the rifle, learn the cartridge, and understand its capabilities, either one will be just fine. Hunting isn't a video game, we need to be responsible with our choice of shots and distance.

I don't think either one will be bad, but I would lean more to the 308 over the 7RM for many of the reasons stated above. If you reload, the cost difference is negligible, factory ammo, the difference is quite a bit bigger.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
What makes it far from being efficient at sub 300 yards?
As a 308 user for 30 plus years and always shot 180gr too, I am interested in the answer as well. Might have to switch it up after all these years.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:49 AM

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Here I thought everyone but me had changed over to .300 Win mags! I use a .308, which has worked well for me most of my hunts since I was a teen. .308 is more than enough gun and as was pointed out quickly in the beginning. Never really bought into the need for magnums, but Each to their own.
The .308 Norma Magnum didn't need fixing.One size fits all.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Ha!
I wonder what stinky is up to these days?
Eating gummy bears preaching at the gun range and giving demo's of his cannon the great 6.5 Grendel.

To tell the truth the dude really crack me up sometimes , he didn't give up easy.

JD
Old 11-02-2021, 02:13 PM

308 shooting Partitions is personally what I would go with based on what you've said so far. Wouldn't change a thing.

I'm particularly fond of the Accubond in my current 30 caliber rifle. I previously owned a 30-06 that would shoot clover leaf groups with a 165 grain solid copper if I did my part so that's what I used. If it grouped better with Partitions then that's what I would feed it.

If it were me.......any solid in 150 or 165. Accubond or Partition in 165. Game King in 180. That's where I would start my search and then narrow it down from there.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:44 PM

Based off what you posted, 308. Will do anything you want under 300. shot placement is more important then numbers in a book.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:10 PM

I love both calibers and have used them for many animals at various short and LONG distances. Therefore I take them both with me when I can. I choose which one as Iam waking up. Lol
Old 11-06-2021, 02:11 PM

PS. I use 168gr ammo in both