Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 04:32 PM

Default Getting off on the right foot Dunlops vs Muck Arctic

Don’t know if this is a Ford vs Chev comparison but just looking for some feed back from members regarding each boot for running and gunning while on the ice.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:02 PM

I won't buy Muck again.. I have a couple pairs of the artcic muck's and the neoprene uppers are great, but the rubber bottoms do not last. The rubber around the foot is too thing and tears and gets a hole poked through them too easily. You can seal the tears and holes with silicone, but for a 200$ boot that's not acceptable.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:28 PM

Best Ice fishing boots I have found are the cabelas predator pac boots with hex head screws in the bottoms. I run around drilling tons of holes most trips searching for walleyes. My feet have never been wet or cold in them.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:08 PM

I found my Dunlop’s actually getting hard and frozen while on the ice .
I wish I either had a larger pair for more insulation under my foot or something different
Old 10-23-2021, 10:26 PM

I had one pair of mucks that only lasted a couple of seasons. I went to kick the snow off my boot one day and the sole just popped right off. Apparently they didn't glue that one properly or something.

I use dunlops at times but not when it's real cold. If I'm catching fish that means I'm not running anymore and they aren't the best for sittin there. Basically any real winter boot with a proper insulating liner is better imho.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:11 AM

If you enjoy cold feet while on the ice then for sure go with the Muck Arctic

I did and after maybe 4 times out they were donated to Value Village. Back to Sorell lined for me.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I run the Dunlop’s if moving about in -15 or warmer but if I know I am sitting well I wear the sorel glaciers with thick socks too...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-24-2021, 11:00 AM

No experience with the Mucks but, I wore Dunlops the last 15 winters I worked and found them warm so long as I was active. For standing on the ice I go with my Sorels and wool socks every time.

edit: If you go with Dunlops, DO NOT kick the toes against anything hard to clean them off you will split them open in no time. Ask me how I know
Old 10-24-2021, 01:11 PM

I prefer the Dunlop's over mucks For everything from being warmer, drier, steel toe and sole. When it comes to real cold and standing still, definitely a winter boot with liners are gonna be warmer though.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:50 PM

For ice fishing? Neither
Old 10-24-2021, 01:57 PM

Neither. For fall they are fine but there are much better options for ice fishing.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:33 PM

Muck quality isn't what it use to be unfortunately.

My 8 year old pair are going strong and comfortable ice fishing down to -15.
3 year old pair are falling apart.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:36 PM

Default Getting off on the right foot Dunlops vs Muck Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
No experience with the Mucks but, I wore Dunlops the last 15 winters I worked and found them warm so long as I was active. For standing on the ice I go with my Sorels and wool socks every time.

edit: If you go with Dunlops, DO NOT kick the toes against anything hard to clean them off you will split them open in no time. Ask me how I know

Had the same issue with my Dunlops too.

Found some Muck Arctic Ice on sale at Cabelas for $99 so I figured I would try them. I have Baffin boots that are rated to -100C for when it gets really cold. These are more for flood water issues in spring.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-24-2021, 07:22 PM

I also have Baffins rated to -100. They are real good boots. Was gonna get my son a pair of Arctic Ice. Not anymore. Thanks guys.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:43 AM

dunlops are just rubber boots with zero grip when frozen, I have a pair of muck arctics and am not impressed with them either. if I had to choose between only those two id pick the mucks because of the neoprene uppers. If I was to choose between any boot on the market then these 2 would not be my choice
Old 10-25-2021, 08:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
dunlops are just rubber boots with zero grip when frozen, I have a pair of muck arctics and am not impressed with them either. if I had to choose between only those two id pick the mucks because of the neoprene uppers. If I was to choose between any boot on the market then these 2 would not be my choice
I have not found a pair of boots that get great traction on ice that has little to no snow cover so when I am out and about and come across pure ice I slip on ice cleats over the boots so I don't end up taking a ice auger ride or end up on my butt.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-25-2021, 09:11 AM

I run the grey dunlops with bama socks and wool socks and I'm happy with them. Buy 1 size bigger than you need so they are not tight with the Bamas. The grey ones are more flexible than the green ones for sure (I've used both). I like that I can put my snow pants over the boots to stop snow and water getting in keeping me drier. Bring a spare set of bamas to change out halfway through the day to keep your feet dry and you're good to go.

My fishing style is run and gun so I'm always moving and staying warm. Probably wouldn't be as comfy sitting around but your mileage may vary.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:18 AM

We run boots we picked up at a small booth at the Edmonton Boat & Sportsman's show a few years ago. I don't recall the brand offhand, but I do recall the fellow telling me they made their own boots and why they were better than other similar looking boots. They look just like Muck Arctics minus the steel toe, and we've never had an issue with either set. I don't recall my feet getting cold either, although I am sure Sorels would be warmer. I'll try to check the brand next time I'm out at the lake if I remember this thread.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:41 AM

-100 baffins is what I use paired with bama socks.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-25-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I have not found a pair of boots that get great traction on ice that has little to no snow cover so when I am out and about and come across pure ice I slip on ice cleats over the boots so I don't end up taking a ice auger ride or end up on my butt.
I can totally relate to this on ice safety issue!
I have a real old pair of Arctic White Sorel Glacier XT's, with Bama socks and Ice Trekkers. Have never had cold feet in some unbelievably cold, all day long outings on the hard water and the Ice Trekkers slip on/off real easy and provide tremendous grip...one less thing to worry about, especially when the bite is on!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing Footwear.jpg (29.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Ice Trekkers.jpg (38.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-25-2021, 02:26 PM

I've use Sorel Conquest for the last 27 or so years. Finally had to get a new pair after 25 years of use. I recommend them to any/everyone looking for a winter boot that actually has some traction. I buy them a hair big then put a nice insole in them for added comfort. Of course when it's glare ice, I throw on a pair of ice cleats.

https://www.sorelfootwear.ca/en/p/me...ot-NM1049.html
Old 10-25-2021, 02:32 PM

Totally agree Dunlop are great till you sit too long then they stiffen up and the cold gets in. Bama socks are a must in them and a heavy wool sock helps soak up the moisture. Hard to believe that much moisture comes out of your feet when you are half frozen. I take my boots off one at a time in the shack and warm my feet up and try and keep them somewhat dry when it's brutally cold. Extra set of socks is a good idea too. Boots have come along way. I remember fishin in those yellow toed rig boots and your socks were frozen to the liners that were froze to the bottom of the boots. That was normal back then.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I also have Baffins rated to -100. They are real good boots. Was gonna get my son a pair of Arctic Ice. Not anymore. Thanks guys.
I have had Sorel and Baffins growing up in Saskatchewan and Alberta. I now use Schnee pac boots. I think any of the three would treat you well!
Old 10-25-2021, 08:22 PM

Thanks guys. I was looking to pick up a truly waterproof pair of boots without sacrificing comfort. I’ll do some more homework on this….
Old 10-25-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
For ice fishing? Neither
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Neither. For fall they are fine but there are much better options for ice fishing.
Agreed.

Dunlops are good for industrial use, invert resistant etc. Pretty stiff and cold on the ice though. I did stud mine with short hex screws, but they were still cold and uncomfortable - even with Bama socks.

Mucks are cold, and as stated - the lowers do puncture easily. Anytime I've used them on the ice, my feet have gotten cold - not enough breathability. Comfortable though.

I've found that Elktrackers with Kahtoola Ice Spike cleats are the best all round ice fishing boot for me. Does double duty during ice season, fits Bama socks, and breathable.