Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 05:40 PM

Default This thread is good

This thread makes me think about my time at the range this week. When I arrived there were a couple of other people on the firing line. A cease fire was called to put up targets.

I proceed to let the other shooters know I had a braked rifle. They were cool about it and one of the other shooters had one as well. We all tried to stay as far away from each other as possible. It just worked and everyone was happy. Amazing what a little bit of courtesy will do.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I think I’ve seen you and the OP at the same range.
I find the dividers help a bit but the noise level coming from the ceiling is brutal. I find the muzzle brakes to be too much for myself, but at the same time we’re all paying members for those spots.
I’ve noticed many more newer members using the range and several that are newer to firearms in general. I’ve just approached people to ask if they’re aware of different rules when it appears they’re about to break them - or when they cross the line to grab an unloaded firearm when the curtain is down - and so far everyone has been very receptive to it and respectful. It’s a little unnerving when a rule such as that is not known with absolute clarity, but always important to speak up. I’m sure the folks down range would appreciate knowing I didn’t let those fellas grab hold of the firearm. I think if people start with dialogue instead of starting with the notion someone is an a-hole, they’d be surprised how many people respond well and appreciate something being said. The few a-holes will reveal themselves right away. It sounds like the one guy mentioned early on in this thread would’ve but I do like to give them the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove it
Yes shooting under the tin roof really causes the noise to resonate if a brake is used… 100% agree with you there.

LC
Old 10-16-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well, I was at the range today hoping to have some time to work on a load I am trying to develop. The only bench available was between 2 other shooters so I set up. To my surprise both these shooters were using brakes on their rifles. I had never been that close to a braked rifle and I got to say it was not pleasant at all.
a) the noise was unbelievably loud and startling
b) the shock wave or the air that blew back and to the side was unreal.
There should be a special place for these guys to shoot.
Needless to say I shot a few rounds , confirmed zero for one group of bullets and left.
From this experience, I don't think I would consider a break.
A special place for them to shoot? Yea, it’s called the gun range.

If you want something like better engineering at your range, get involved.

And if you can’t have a discussion about an issue, then you have bigger issues than your hearing.

PCFGA on Facebook

Last edited by Albertacoyotecaller; 10-16-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

My type of range….
Yea, I'm guessing you shoot at least twice as far as that!
Old 10-16-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
This thread makes me think about my time at the range this week. When I arrived there were a couple of other people on the firing line. A cease fire was called to put up targets.

I proceed to let the other shooters know I had a braked rifle. They were cool about it and one of the other shooters had one as well. We all tried to stay as far away from each other as possible. It just worked and everyone was happy. Amazing what a little bit of courtesy will do.
This is the way it should be done.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:08 AM

It's great to hear that some ranges have taken steps to prevent brass from hitting the next bench and to limit the noise/blast from a braked rifle. Going to the range should be a fun experience for everyone.

It's not uncommon to see guys who are unaware of range rules. At my range, it seems that the rules regarding 'ceasefire' are the ones that people are most commonly unaware of.

Regarding those guys who can't seem to figure out where to sit, shame on them. Being able to choose the correct bench should be a basic skill that every man is well aware of. For those who don't know where to go, here ya go!! ( I'm pretty sure it's a transferable skill )

where to go
Old 10-17-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post

Way to go, Mark. But that’s just the kind of good dude you are.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:00 PM

My 11 yr old wanted to try one of my "big guns" so I brought my semi-custom 308 which has a Remple brake installed on it. We were at Shepherd so those of you who've been there lately know where this is going.......

We've got those baffles installed to keep stray projectiles from going over the berm due to close neighbours. They are essentially a 20' long piece of 18ish" diameter pipe with vent holes in them. You essentially stick your barrel into he pipe, aim at the target and away you go. Been doing it for a few months with the 22/17/223 and while not ideal it's what we've got to deal with to have a range 20 minutes from home. So we get ready, I load a round in to give it a test fire before letting him try and boom...glasses, hat go flying off my head and I get a nice face wash of muzzle blast back into my face. Needless to say lesson learned, brake was taken off before the little guy took his turn. Even without it the blow back and echo in the pipe was enough to convince me to stick to the rimfire and 223 for now.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
That's funny considering what your solution was in dealing with this guy. Hope there wasn't a mirror close by.

Yes. I should have enjoyed sitting beside a range slob who set up beside me...after I'd been set up and shooting for 15 minutes. Using the open bench 2 over for his spotter. Not himself.

Enjoy your brake.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I agree with you but courtesy works both ways.

Where I come from you earn it and acting entitled is not one way. Lots of open benches? Sit at least one over.

Last edited by 270person; 10-17-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Also maybe if this guy is about to set up how about talking to him prior to him settling in and asking if he could move a few benches over. It seems like we don't know how to talk to each other anymore.

Missed the point where I was told talking to him would have no effect and other members have had issues as well? Seems like we don't read enough anymore.

I should inspect shooters rifles when they sit down beside me? I had no clue what he was shooting until my hair got blown back. Wouldn't have mattered one bit if he'd sat down one bench over and had his scope on the one between us but no.

Last edited by 270person; 10-17-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Missed the point where I was told talking to him would have no effect and other members have had issues as well? Seems like we don't read enough anymore.

I should inspect shooters rifles when they sit down beside me? I had no clue what he was shooting until my hair got blown back. Wouldn't have mattered one bit if he'd sat down one bench over and had his scope on the one between us but no.
I PM'd you about this incident, did you read that?
Old 10-18-2021, 08:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Yea, I'm guessing you shoot at least twice as far as that!

Haha I get a close as possible to tighten up my groups…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
I PM'd you about this incident, did you read that?

Got home last night after hunting from mid last week on. Kinda priority one. Sent a reply an hour ago.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:42 PM

I shoot prone with my braked rifle and I love it. I have never heard someone say anything but i think thread teases out another problem. Why can’t people use their words anymore? How about identifying to the shooter what you are experiencing? You do not know what you do not know. It is quite possible the person shooting has no idea on the collateral effect.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:27 AM

I too sometimes have more resentment than courage. But I recognize that fault in myself
Old 10-20-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
So did anyone go up to any of these people and try to respectfully explain your issues in hopes of working out a solution? If the person is a jerk after attempting this go ahead be chocked and do as you need to after this

The problem with most issues theses days people don’t even attempt to work out the situation. Instead they grumble to themselves, complain to others later or post it on the internet. None of these options solve anything. Some people are just disrespectful but others are actually oblivious that they are causing others grief because no one speaks up.

Speak up without being a jerk and see where it goes. You might find a reasonable compromise. If not you will know the guy is a jerk. You can then blow off some steam and make sure he knows he is an idiot at least

People seem to have forgotten how to work out their issues
This ^^^ Some people use braked rifles because of health issues. There's troublemakers everywhere that use and abuse. What is you were sighting in your 22 and someone sat down beside you with a 7 mm? Who would be the troublemaker then? Respect and common decency goes both ways.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
This ^^^ Some people use braked rifles because of health issues. There's troublemakers everywhere that use and abuse. What is you were sighting in your 22 and someone sat down beside you with a 7 mm? Who would be the troublemaker then? Respect and common decency goes both ways.

I'd be interested in hearing how "health issues", have anything to do with where a shooter positions himself at the range.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how "health issues", have anything to do with where a shooter positions himself at the range.
I don't see anywhere in my post mentioning position? I'll quote myself. "Some people use braked rifles because of health issues." Please re-read my post.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-21-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
I don't see anywhere in my post mentioning position? I'll quote myself. "Some people use braked rifles because of health issues." Please re-read my post.

No need. My original post was only about a brake user plunking themselves down right next to someone else when there were lots of open positions available to separate himself. i.e. the one to his left...where he had only a spotting scope set up. Or any of the 2 additional positions left of that. Pretty easy to flip positions and have the spotter between the shooters no?

My original comments were not about brakes, brake users, etc. Just simple consideration when using one when there are multitudes of benches available.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:00 AM

You know, if it wasn’t a mortgage payment per sheet of wood, I’d be interested in getting baffles between tables at the range.

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-21-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
You know, if it wasn’t a mortgage payment per sheet of wood, I’d be interested in getting baffles between tables at the range.

The problem with that, is that with plywood, you wouldn't be able to see all benches before going downrange, to ensure that everyone is aware that a ceasefire has been called, and unloads and moves away from their firearms. Plexiglass is a better choice, but in winter, it can frost up, so extra care is required.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just gotta work together so we all can have a pleasant time at the range!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...