Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2021, 08:28 PM

Default Sylvan 2021 - Fall Whites - Season Ender

BTY fall afternoon, 14C light wind, only a few boats out. Was out on Norglenwold area at 2:30 stayed till 4:00, Mr White was active in 6-10 fow, caught 8 kept 5, no Walleye or Pike, fun day. Got 3 more weeks before the season ends here.

A few pic's ...... enjoy!

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-07-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:02 PM

Wow great job and pics. Thanks for sharing. Looks like very good eating there

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2021, 09:23 PM

was the secret mojo a red wire worm?

Drewski
Old 10-08-2021, 10:53 AM

Drewski .... I don't use W/W's in open water, have more success with 1/32 oz micro jigs & Mr. Twister tails drifting and fan casting areas with rock & rubble structure in 6-10 FOW. I let the jig sink then work/swim the jig back towards me, at times bouncing off the bottom which helps trigger a strike. Mr. White normally hits them on the drop, I have a very sensitive G. Loomis walleye rod that detects the lightest hits & you need to be quick to set the hook or they're gone.

Unless your anchored, W/W's need to sit perfectly horizontal & that's a bit difficult to do even with a bobber and a drop line to get them down into the productive zone which I find is 10 to 14" off the bottom. If it's windy that makes detecting a strike even more difficult, the Whites can detect & spit a W/W before you feel the hit.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

David

Old 10-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Could you please post pictures for 1/32 oz micro jigs? Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2021, 03:04 PM

Any one know if you can still launch at Breakers cove? Wondering if the docks are still in.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Oct 08th - went golfing in the morning & decided to go back out on the lake in the afternoon. It was another BTY warm day with a few more people out, was that you Slingshotz, how did you do?

It was a slow afternoon, had 3 hits wasn't quick enough to get a good hook set, finally had 1 on & lost it before I could get it in the net. On my way back to shore I got a small male in <5 FOW that went back. Disappointing compared to yesterday, however, that's fishin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Any one know if you can still launch at Breakers cove? Wondering if the docks are still in.
A local F/B site said the docks come out sometime on the Turkey Day weekend ... nevertheless, you can still launch & load if the docks are out, it's never closed.

A few more pic's ... enjoy.

D.

Small Male that Lived for Another Day.

Jzz .... most guys here wouldn't tell you what worked nor would they post a pic of it. I don't have a problem sharing info or helping others, got the 1/32 oz jigs from Cabellas & Cdn Tire sell the mini Mr. Twister tails ... give them a try, Whites, Walleye & Pike devour them .....wish you all the success.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-08-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:14 AM

Jzz .... most guys here wouldn't tell you what worked nor would they post a pic of it. I don't have a problem sharing info or helping others, got the 1/32 oz jigs from Cabellas & Cdn Tire sell the mini Mr. Twister tails ... give them a try, Whites, Walleye & Pike devour them .....wish you all the success.

That's a sad truth. When I was reading your post and thread, I was thinking "wow, this is great! Someone who is actually openly sharing fishing information?!?! This is awesome!"

Thanks for sharing. Wish more would do the same.

So, here's my share.

14 to 17 fow on Pigeon Lake, white 3/8oz white jig head and a lip hooked minnow... anchored with a vertical presentation will result in plenty of smiles! Went out on Thursday this week for an hour 15 and netted 8 or so nice sized Walleye. Looking forward to a repeat event today!
Old 10-09-2021, 01:24 PM

Awesome report, pics and filets. Got me drooling. Would love to have been there when they were belly bound. YUMMMMMM. Thanks for sharing. You always give some of the best pics and tips for Sylvan.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:25 PM

Nice report Zip and results. No that was not me on the water, I tried last weekend for a couple hours at Half Moon but the wind picked up so hard with whitecaps that it literally blew me off the lake.

I did see a few of them in 4-6 fow at Half Moon but they were too skittish in the shallow water.

I really was hoping that Sun or Mon was going to be nice to give it another try, Monday looks chilly but as long as it stays calm it might be good.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:35 PM

Tks fellas for the kind words, it's appreciated.

S/S .... it was another warm +16C day with no wind would of been a great day for Whites, unfortunately, I had to many other priorities. Was surprised, didn't see many boats out when we drove down Lakeshore this afternoon.

Still 3 weeks to go until the season ends, then maybe go back to Troutville before first ice.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:57 PM

Caught the Great Pumpkin last year in the middle of Sylvan still looking for the female, it's much bigger.

D.

For those looking at CDN Tire on-line it's called Mister Twister 2" Teeny and the color is "Pumpkin" to match the season ..... see. Notice my store has 20 pkgs in stock, guess that's because I endorse/promote their fishin tackle.

D.

Fishin Tip .... The brown/black spot mini Twister Tails I use looks similar to these minnows I found in Mr. Whites gut and my W/W mirrors them during the hard water season. Both are very productive presentations. Give them a try & hope they improve your success.

D.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Caught the Great Pumpkin last year in the middle of Sylvan still looking for the female, it's much bigger.

D.

For those looking at CDN Tire on-line it's called Mister Twister 2" Teeny and the color is "Pumpkin" to match the season ..... see. Notice my store has 20 pkgs in stock, guess that's because I endorse/promote their fishin tackle.

D.

Fishin Tip .... The brown/black spot mini Twister Tails I use looks similar to these minnows I found in Mr. Whites gut and my W/W mirrors them during the hard water season. Both are very productive presentations. Give them a try & hope they improve your success.

D.

Thank you for all your informative post. I learned a lot from your WW thread. Been making them and catches a couple of whites this season from shore using slip bobber. Hope to improve on the catch ratio this coming hard water at sylvan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post

That's a sad truth. When I was reading your post and thread, I was thinking "wow, this is great! Someone who is actually openly sharing fishing information?!?! This is awesome!"

Thanks for sharing. Wish more would do the same.

So, here's my share.

14 to 17 fow on Pigeon Lake, white 3/8oz white jig head and a lip hooked minnow... anchored with a vertical presentation will result in plenty of smiles! Went out on Thursday this week for an hour 15 and netted 8 or so nice sized Walleye. Looking forward to a repeat event today!
Thanks Z z and F S, the best nice fishmen in this forum. I will try your methods before the end of season, if I can catch fish I will post here.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM

I’m not the greatest angler but any means but after dabbling in catching Flathead MT whites I find a lot of similarities of what works for us to what the OP is saying. Fish are in deeper water but similar presentation; few inches off the bottom, very light strikes and jigging a small jig with a MR Twister. Thanks for the pictures and info!
Old 10-11-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’m not the greatest angler but any means but after dabbling in catching Flathead MT whites I find a lot of similarities of what works for us to what the OP is saying. Fish are in deeper water but similar presentation; few inches off the bottom, very light strikes and jigging a small jig with a MR Twister. Thanks for the pictures and info!
Tks for the positive feedback .... I find it interesting my technique/presentation works on Whites across the border. Hopefully others here give it a try & have similar experiences.

EDIT: Oct 11 .... Not a great day out here today, stiff NW wind around 2C and snowing out at 3:30 pm .... that's the golf course across the fence.

Cheers

David

Old 10-11-2021, 04:20 PM

Hey David is that sylvan lake area??

Old 10-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Zip,

Have you ever tried a Slip bobber with a split shot and the micro jig beneath?

I have used small Kastmasters under a slip bob, and it has worked well on fall whites.

A Slip bobber makes casting long distances, and suspending the jig off the bottom, very easy.

Drewski
Old 10-12-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Hey David is that sylvan lake area??

Yup .... I live next to the golf course across from the marina, the snow was a bit of a surprise, but it's all gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Zip,

Have you ever tried a Slip bobber with a split shot and the micro jig beneath?

I have used small Kastmasters under a slip bob, and it has worked well on fall whites.

A Slip bobber makes casting long distances, and suspending the jig off the bottom, very easy.

Drewski
D/C .... yes, I tried that set up when I first started fishin Sylvan for open water Whites .... with very little success.

Now I just use 10 lb braid which is very thin tied to a 5-6 ft fluoro leader, no snap or swivel then my 1/32 oz jig & twister tail.

I can cast my jig 40 ft or more and catch Whites at that distance but most of them are caught within 15 ft of the boat and sometimes almost directly under me.

This past May, Scott & I went out in his boat and he used a bobber with the same size jig & same color Mr. Twister tail, he didn't do very well & I caught 17 Whites doing my thing, that day.

As well, it's been about 10 years now that I first started using the mini Jig & Mr. Twister Tail ice fishin, mainly in deep water over a sand silt bottom, I put my Marcum camera 6 ft behind me and watch how the Whites reacted to my presentation, by jigging and hitting bottom making a small poof of sand silt attracted them & then came over & inhaled my mini jig/tail, they do the same in open water.

I find they chase the presentation and I try to bounce bottom which triggers a strike & they inhale it, you can't do that with a bobber.

Trust this makes sense.

Cheers

David

Every White is hooked similar to this one always in upper snout.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:54 PM

Oct 14th .... +10C decided to go out for 1 hr or so this afternoon, had 3 hits 1 was a good one, was adjusting my drag & it got off .... no fish in the net today.

It was tough fishin in a F-Tube with a 15 km NNW wind, you get pushed around a lot, was in same area as the other day, 8-10 FOW, hard to tell were my micro jig was most of the time, it wasn't bouncing bottom.

Tomorrow's another day, hope the wind changes direction.

D.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:36 PM

Oct 17th … Cloudy, +12C with N wind 10-12 km’s, was hoping it would calm down, stayed out for 1.5 hrs then it started to blow harder. Tough working a jig and trying to keep tension on your line & bounce bottom or detect a hit. Got my first within 15 minutes, then lost one, and had a few hits & misses. Got 2 more & lost 2 more, came home with 3 today. There was a couple boats out, the guys near me weren’t doing well. The people in the sail boat looked like they were having fun. Cleaned them up, all 3 were males, the 5 Whites I caught last week, 3 were pre-spawn females with eggs. Hope the wind settles down next week, it’s much easier to fish ... still had fun.

A few pic’s …. enjoy.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:49 PM

Oct 21st .... BTY warm sunny day +18C, and finally a light NW wind. Went out at 2:30 fished the areas in Norglenwold that I did well on previous days in 8-10 FOW near the weed line, an hour later ..... NO hit's, frustrating. One other boat was out seen them catch 1 White, they were staying close to the weed line.

Time to move, decided to head out to deeper water across from the Lighthouse, now in 12-14 FOW, had a hit/miss then another hit/miss that happened 4 times in a row.

Needed to make a change, slowed things down a lot to work the bottom, slowly lifted the jig & let it fall, bang got one, then another & another, got my 5 Whites in 20 minutes, Mr. Twister didn't let me down.

Finally figured out they were deeper and weren't all that aggressive, ended up being a fun bonking day, was back home around 4:00 pm. Cleaned them up, they were all Males.

Weather doesn't look good for the next few days more big wind.

A few more pic's .... enjoy.

D.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:46 AM

Seriously awesome reports and pics!!
Love the electrical tape holding the reel!
Please keep sharing!
Old 10-26-2021, 03:53 PM

Oct 26th ... +14C started out nice & calm at noon when I got out. Caught my first White on 3rd cast, then two more small one's that got released, then the wind really started to blow from the WNW. Was getting blown around but was able to hook up with #4 which got bonked. Tried moving closer to the weed line, no luck drifted back out to deeper water but wind was blowing 25-30 Km/h now & I couldn't control my jig or work it properly, gave up went home, kept 2 Whites for the neighbour.

The highlight of the day was the unopened bag of Cheeto's that I caught in the middle of the lake. Mr. Twister loves Cheeto's & P****'s, you can figure it out.

Today may have been my season ender, +1C & snow in forecast for Friday.

Sylvan (PP2) is closed after Oct 31 & reopens for ice fishin on Dec 11th.

A few pic's .... enjoy.

D.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:23 PM

Great fall updates Zip!

All good things come to an end. But Ice is just around the corner
Are you going to be in Alberta for the hard water season this year?
Old 10-28-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Great fall updates Zip!

All good things come to an end. But Ice is just around the corner
Are you going to be in Alberta for the hard water season this year?
Hi A .... tks for checking in, driving south after New Years we'll be spending 3-4 months this winter in Palm Springs, trading in the fishin stick for my golf sticks. Look forward to your threads with lots of pic's of big fish which should get old Pikie all bent out of shape as I recall he was trolling your posts, too.

Cheers,

D.

Oct 28 .... cool day, overcast +5C, SE wind 10-15 km/h. Drove down Lakeshore around noon, one fella was out in a float tube across from the Lighthouse close to my spot. On my way home, I noticed he was loading up so stopped to chat. Met Ted from Calgary, he said he was out for a couple hours, had a few hits, but no fish in the net. He looked a bit cold & said he followed my thread but wasn't a member of A/O, gave him some tips & spots to try on his next time out to Sylvan. Wish you all the success.

Periods of snow mix'd with rain tonight/tomorrow, doesn't look good here for the weekend, stay warm.

Cheers

D.

Ted ... your famous now, time to join the group.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
[SIZE="3"]Hi A .... tks for checking in, driving south after New Years we'll be spending 3-4 months this winter in Palm Springs, trading in the fishin stick for my golf sticks. Look forward to your threads with lots of pic's of big fish which should get old Pikie all bent out of shape as I recall he was trolling your posts, too.

Cheers,

D.

]
Have a good time down there! Will put up some reports, fish willing, and some adventures for sure.

Yeah, old "Picky Pickie" is probably just jealous. Posts nothing but flames and doesn't contribute anyways. Yep, troll!

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Have a good time down there! Will put up some reports, fish willing, and some adventures for sure.

Yeah, old "Picky Pickie" is probably just jealous. Posts nothing but flames and doesn't contribute anyways. Yep, troll!

Cheers.
Hey its pikey, not Pickie Snap!!! Get it together man. If you gonna make ignorant comments about legitimate concerns at least take a minute to check your spelling or maybe you did.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Hope this isn't a fish story, if it was 2 wks ago & an Ab record you would think it would be all over the internet by now and it would have grown to twice that size & weight here on A/O .... .

Hope it was released, nevertheless, look forward to some pic's on a bump board.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
"HOPE IT WAS RELEASED" from the guy that posts his limit of whites every other day. That's hilarious!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Oh no drama intended boys, sorry to offend if I did. Just can't help myself when a guy is whackin a limit of fish on their spawning beds every other day on a pressured central alberta fishery, AND post on social media,and then has the nerve to preach catch and release ethics on some good old glow in the dark alberta river wally that may or might not have even been caught. Sorry I can't help it. It's about ethics Zip, and respect for what's left of our fisheries regardless of what the regulations say.

Hey ... Mr. Pikeman.... I'm a bit disappointed with you & trolling me & others with your old worn out 5 of Diamonds. Your that guy that everyone has issues with because of your critical comments of members reports & photos.

I looked at your profile/stat's the best you could do since you joined in 2010 is start 11 threads with only 6 in the Fishing Discussion, some even included nice pics like the one below, but no helpful info or tips for others, you really don't contribute much wonder why?

Perhaps you need to refresh your memory in respect to the Message Board Rules under the General Discussion tab ..... "There is no need to chastise, belittle or troll posts when the Op shares in his/her passions of the outdoors. We welcome our members to share in their outdoor adventures. Let us be clear that this will not be tolerated."

You need a time out or better yet it's too bad the Author of a Thread didn't have the option to Block or Ban members otherwise you guessed it ...

Now go away or play nice.

Cheers

David

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-30-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:19 AM
Banned

Hey Zip, really impressed with your filleting job! What is your favorite way to prepare whitefish, do you smoke them?

Also really sporting of you to share that Teeny Mr. Twister technique, I cant wait to try it. Cheers