Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Kelvin's Taxidermy and Gun Shop - just be careful while dealing with them

It’s one of those first world problems, so I’m not going to be overly dramatic here.

Perhaps this post will save someone from making a more expansive mistake? I’ve purchased a rifle from Kelvin’s Taxidermy & Gun Store out of Nova Scotia.

It was described as being in “excellent” condition and that was confirmed by the storeowner via separate email before I paid for everything (along with the shipping costs). Communication was excellent and the package arrived quickly. Packaging was also great and I would be a happy client if not for one thing. The rifle in question wasn’t even near of being in “excellent” condition as described in the sale ad. Let’s look what “excellent” condition actually is according to NRA grading scheme that is typically used by the sellers here.

EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).

Well, this is what I actually received from Kelvin’s Taxidermy & Gun Store:

Obviously "excellent" isn't the right word to describe its condition. "Good" would be much more accurate. My email to the store that was sent on Tuesday July 27th expressing my disappointment and inquiring why this rifle was described as it was (along with the same pictures that you can see above) remains unanswered to this day, despite the fact that previously our communication was VERY quick and efficient.

In the end I was planning to change a lot on this rifle anyway, so I’ll fix most of these issues myself and keep it (which I explained in my email to the store from 27th as well). It's in good working condition. However…I would advise you to be very careful when dealing with this store and request for the detailed pictures of any item that you are planning to purchase from them may be a good idea.

It seems that integrity there is in short supply. Cheers!
Old 07-31-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
“excellent” condition
I am guessing excellent condition is in the eye of the beholder It looks like its well used Good Luck with the fix up

Last edited by patrol1957; 07-31-2021 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-31-2021, 10:46 AM

Do you know if it was Bill or Ted that you were dealing with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg excellent.jpg (79.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Savage Bacon; 07-31-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:44 AM

Default You would have to be very generous

to even describe that as "good" in NRA terms
Old 07-31-2021, 01:08 PM

I would spam negative reviews on every platform.I could access. The owner would be given one day's notice before I did it.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I would spam negative reviews on every platform.I could access. The owner would be given one day's notice before I did it.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
This. I have received full refunds from two previously crappy vendors after posting scathing reviews. They have both offered refunds if I would change my reviews. My revised reviews were non committal: I had an issue but the vendor offered a satisfactory solution.,
Old 07-31-2021, 05:26 PM

Interestingly enough just 3 hours after I sent my last email to the store owner advising him that I'm posting my experience with Kelvin's Taxidermy on two, large Canadian firearms related forums...he actually has risen from the dead and told me that "he was planning to contact me". Since I already started working on fixing the undisclosed issues I'm not willing to pay again for shipping out of my own pocket to get my money back for the rifle....but that was his offer today (as soon as I decided to go public with the pictures). Anyway...that store will never get any more of my hard earned money. Ever again.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up. It seems the owner did reach out, but only after seeing you planned to be vocal about the matter. To me, that speaks volumes about his intentions and integrity.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Interestingly enough just 3 hours after I sent my last email to the store owner advising him that I'm posting my experience with Kelvin's Taxidermy on two, large Canadian firearms related forums...he actually has risen from the dead and told me that "he was planning to contact me". Since I already started working on fixing the undisclosed issues I'm not willing to pay again for shipping out of my own pocket to get my money back for the rifle....but that was his offer today (as soon as I decided to go public with the pictures). Anyway...that store will never get any more of my hard earned money. Ever again.

Why wouldn't you ask for some cash back in return considering the condition? Doesn't change the fact they misrepresented the item but it'd be money towards the work you're doing.

Or just tell them you're shipping back, collect, and want a full refund.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:13 PM

A buddy of mine had a similar experience with this store.

Would never buy anything from them. The owner is a piece of work.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:19 PM

You can put up a review on google reviews for this store. Adding a picture to the review can be very helpful for others.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Why wouldn't you ask for some cash back in return considering the condition? Doesn't change the fact they misrepresented the item but it'd be money towards the work you're doing.

Or just tell them you're shipping back, collect, and want a full refund.
Because I know what this fellow is going to say after reading his last email. I don't think it would be fair to copy his words, but believe me...I'm pretty good with reading between the lines and he isn't all that nice of a person. It nearly sounds as if I'm making up this stuff. I told him that I'm done dealing with him even before he finally decided to answer (after finding out that I'm going public with this). Anyway. I didn't pay tons of money and I have the skills. I'll make it nice, so not the end of the World. Someone suggested to leave him a negative review via Google and that's exactly what I'm going to do at this point. I made the mistake of trusting a store owner and didn't ask for the detailed pictures. Live and learn I guess...Cheers!
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
A buddy of mine had a similar experience with this store.

Would never buy anything from them. The owner is a piece of work.
I have to agree with this assessment after reading his answer.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
You can put up a review on google reviews for this store. Adding a picture to the review can be very helpful for others.
Thank You. I will do exactly that.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:57 PM

Default That’s too bad..

That’s unfortunate to hear, Kelvin is a retired RCMP officer and very involved in hunter education courses and PAL courses. He is well known to always help out.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
That’s unfortunate to hear, Kelvin is a retired RCMP officer and very involved in hunter education courses and PAL courses. He is well known to always help out.
He may be all of that but needs to have a bit more care and concern for the rifles he ships out.

Doesn't sounds like he's too concerned about making it right with the OP.

Same thing with my bud. That says a lot about his character.