Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 11:25 AM

Default Any recommendations for a bedding job in Calgary??

Hello,

I have a sako 300wsm that I order a mcmillan stock for and the fitting on it is not good at all... I have already sent it back once to them to try and get all the issues fixed but when I just recieved the stock for the second time now there are still issues... They have offered a full refund on the stock if I would like but due to when I ordered it (almost a year ago) and how poor our dollar was then vs how our dollar is better now and all this shipping I have paid for I feel like it may be my best option to have it bedded by someone here rather then return and take even more of a loss on this stock. Soo looking for any help/suggestion on someone that is real good at bedding that I can talk to them and make sure they can fix all these issues that are with this stock.

Thanks!
Skyler
Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 AM

Henry Remple in Langdon, some may claim to be as good, but none are better!
Cat
Old 02-02-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Henry Remple in Langdon, some may claim to be as good, but none are better!
Cat

For bedding and many other jobs, I agree completely. Guy does excellent work at reasonable prices.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:18 PM

Look no further than Henry Remple as already mentioned above. Makes for a boring thread somewhat like radio programs with everyone in agreement lol. He’s in the area so no sense going any further
Old 02-03-2021, 06:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will be getting in touch with Henry this week to see if he can fix this stock or not.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:24 AM

Anyone have any pics of Henry’s work they wouldn’t mind sharing? I’m looking for someone to do a really clean pillar bedding job of a Manners/Bighorn SR3 in Alberta. He definitely sounds like he may be the guy. Not sure how to get in touch with him though. Anyone have his contact info they could PM me? Any other recommendations for really clean high quality work? I am pretty picky so I don’t mind if it costs a little more, I just want it done right.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
Anyone have any pics of Henry’s work they wouldn’t mind sharing? I’m looking for someone to do a really clean pillar bedding job of a Manners/Bighorn SR3 in Alberta. He definitely sounds like he may be the guy. Not sure how to get in touch with him though. Anyone have his contact info they could PM me? Any other recommendations for really clean high quality work? I am pretty picky so I don’t mind if it costs a little more, I just want it done right.
I have owned a couple of rifles that Henery did and still have one but cannot take it apart to show you . It is a Ruger #1 F/O rifle with a huge CNC machined forend that is 100% bedded then cap screwed right to the barrel . The forend is oversized and must be bedded and aligned perfectly between centers , otherwise it will not shoot straight as the rail is machined right into the forend as well.
This rifle is capable of shooting V"s at 1K all day
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-26-2021 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 AM

Here is a picture of the Ruger that Henry bedded for me.
he did another the same for a friend as well, after setting back our chambers.
Cat
Old 07-26-2021, 07:58 AM

I just bought a used rifle that Rod Henrickson bedded. I am very impressed.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Banned

I had issues with a sako inletted McMillan too
The Inletting was good
But the recoil lug was secured with 2 screws that were in contact with the barrel and it didn’t sit right
I ended up just epoxying the crap out of it and the screws aren’t needed anymore

I did have a carbon fiber stock for a fierce/sako bedded by em precision and they did a great job
Old 07-27-2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I just bought a used rifle that Rod Henrickson bedded. I am very impressed.
I can second this, I have seen 2 bed jobs Rod has done on rem style actions and they were about as perfect and aesthetically pleasing as I have ever seen.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:41 AM

That’s good to hear. Looks like Rod is in Edmonton. That’s a lot closer to me. I’ve only had one stock bedded before (I’ve been a chassis guy) and that was by Wildcat Composites. When the rifle is assembled I can’t tell it’s been bedded. It’s a beautiful job. So with a sample size of 1 I have no idea if this is the type of work I could expect from most smiths or not. I’d love to have Stu do this one, but it’s not one of his stocks. I’d like the same quality visually/functionally for this Manners, especially after waiting over a year to get it.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerguy View Post
That’s good to hear. Looks like Rod is in Edmonton. That’s a lot closer to me. I’ve only had one stock bedded before (I’ve been a chassis guy) and that was by Wildcat Composites. When the rifle is assembled I can’t tell it’s been bedded. It’s a beautiful job. So with a sample size of 1 I have no idea if this is the type of work I could expect from most smiths or not. I’d love to have Stu do this one, but it’s not one of his stocks. I’d like the same quality visually/functionally for this Manners, especially after waiting over a year to get it.
Rod’s work won’t disappoint you if that’s what your looking for however you are going to pay a premium for it but he will likely have it back to you inside of 2 weeks. I’ve seen work from Bob Galloway, Henry Remple and Rod H in the AB circle none of the above would leave you wanting!