Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 08:51 AM

Default First Post and DC Reels

Hey now. First post here, glad to join you guys.

You know what I don’t get? All the anti-hype about DC reels. I usually fish with spinning reels due to what I was going after. I fell in love with pike fishing and got into baitcasting. I’m no pro, but I can cast a full day without backlashing to the point where I need to cut half my spool of braid off.

I picked up a shimano SLX DC and I am psyched. It’s not like the thing reels the fish in for me, it just has a digital break. I still have to cast accurately, I still have to read the water, fight the fish correctly and bring them in. All I have to do is use a little less thumb. I’m not throwing fundamentals out the window, don’t get me wrong.

Maybe it’s a bass fishing thing, where you aren’t considered a fisherman unless you can fish with one hand tied behind your back, in the wind, using a bait caster with a 1/8oz lures and one closed.

Either way those are my thoughts. I’d love to hear yours
Old 07-27-2020, 09:01 AM

Never used one so can’t judge them

But as long as you’re not one of those dirty bait fishermen welcome to the forum
Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully Bee View Post
Hey now. First post here, glad to join you guys.

You know what I don’t get? All the anti-hype about DC reels. I usually fish with spinning reels due to what I was going after. I fell in love with pike fishing and got into baitcasting. I’m no pro, but I can cast a full day without backlashing to the point where I need to cut half my spool of braid off.

I picked up a shimano SLX DC and I am psyched. It’s not like the thing reels the fish in for me, it just has a digital break. I still have to cast accurately, I still have to read the water, fight the fish correctly and bring them in. All I have to do is use a little less thumb. I’m not throwing fundamentals out the window, don’t get me wrong.

Maybe it’s a bass fishing thing, where you aren’t considered a fisherman unless you can fish with one hand tied behind your back, in the wind, using a bait caster with a 1/8oz lures and one closed.

Either way those are my thoughts. I’d love to hear yours
I think DC reels is the future. The only downfall I think it will require more maintenance then a traditional baitcaster.

I love the buzz sound it makes when you cast. Some may find it annoying haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-27-2020, 04:38 PM

What kind of maintenance do they need vs a regular bait cast?

I just got mine today. I can’t wait to just bomb off the bank.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully Bee View Post
What kind of maintenance do they need vs a regular bait cast?

I just got mine today. I can’t wait to just bomb off the bank.
OH congrats! You're probably gonna love it!

To be honest I should edit my post but i was just assuming haha It probably needs the same maintenance a regular reel needs. I'm not well educated in DC reels.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 09-03-2020, 04:33 PM

Bully Bee, I bought a Shimano Curado DC & I absolutely LOVE ❤️ this reel!! Mine is loaded with 15 lb Powerpro braid & it casts a mile! I never had issues with birds nests on my previous Shimano Bantam Chronarch. This Curado reel is the bomb!
I could listen to the reels’ computer ‘zinging’ all day long!
Old 09-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Someone remind, educate and enlighten me why spending more money on a reel to correct lack of proficiency makes sense?

doesn't that also introduce bad habits?

is this one more thing that could break?

don't they cast a shorter distance compared to a regular bait caster in proficient hands?

I don't know - I don't get it? , Perhaps I'm ignorant thinking you might as well get a closed face spin cast dink-head reel or maybe stick to a spinning reel if the bait caster is giving you problems.

I realize not everyone can spend as much time learning something up to a level of proficiency but having the ability to free/feather spool a much longer cast or complete distance and splash control using your thumb is the entire point of the bait caster isn't it?

Is there an advantage anywhere else? I may be ignorant of one, as I have not used them before.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:32 PM

Should also add .......... Welcome to the Forum !!!!
Old 09-03-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Never used one so can’t judge them

But as long as you’re not one of those dirty bait fishermen welcome to the forum
Or a fish keeper and eater ......