Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Sooke River

Has anyone fished sooke river on the island late sept?

Gonna break in my new fly rod. What should I be tossing for steelhead,coho salmon, chum and everything else that swims in that river? I dont even know what is gonna be swimming through during that time. I just wanna catch something on the fly.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 08-31-2020, 12:46 PM

When I lived in Sooke I would just stop at the local fishing store and ask them what the latest news was. Now this was more so for out on the strait but I am sure they would have some knowledge about the local rivers too.
WDF
Old 09-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
When I lived in Sooke I would just stop at the local fishing store and ask them what the latest news was. Now this was more so for out on the strait but I am sure they would have some knowledge about the local rivers too.
WDF
This seems to be the case. Everyone tells me they could move in at any moment as of late sept. When i see people fishing the river then the fish are probably swimming through.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 09-02-2020, 09:48 AM

I have not fished that river but have caught a ton of salmon on the fly. A variety of bead head wholly bugger style flies in black, purple, pink, orange and olive with some flash is always worth while. Tinsel flies like Christmas trees or rabbit strip style flies like leeches and zonkers. I have also done well on coho stripping bucktails or baitfish patterns in slower water. September is a little early but single egg pattern or blobs can work well. I did a ton of original hand ties as well

For the most part fly fishing salmon is about getting to the right depth because outside of pinks/coho under good conditions the strike zone for salmon in rivers is often small. At times you can run 20 different patterns right on their nose and they just won’t take. Be ready to try different leader lengths and if you can swap lines or tips it helps. If you see a fly fishermen that is really hooking up beyond others ask them the leader length they are using it makes a difference more than your fly in many cases.

Good luck