Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>

Thank you for the clarification. We heard the authorities were going door to door checking there were no sick individuals.. People being accosted and physically man-handled down to the ground in the streets if they were not wearing masks and being detained. I am not certain which area(s) of Australia though.

Thank you again and sorry for the derail.
They did have teams that would come to your house to administer the Covid test if you didn’t want to go down to a testing station. They also had teams delivering groceries to seniors and people in public housing who lived on welfare. I didn’t hear of any behaviour that made it sound like North Korea.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
Thanks for posting, that looks like a great bunch of memories. I have been trying to talk the family in a move there. Can’t quite get everybody on board. Awesome that you guys were able to do it. Thanks again.
It wasn’t easy and it’s still not easy. The better half isn’t at peace about leaving the extended family but these things take time and support. It’s difficult on many levels to uproot and move across the world. The current travel restrictions aren’t helping either.

All that said, it was the best decision we could of made. Beautiful, safe place to live with the friendliest people I’ve ever met, a strong economy, gov who’s held accountable and an equal time roster. It’s very difficult to get a visa/PR/citizenship and move here but if the options there I would take it. That said, it was eight years of me working here before we made that choice.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:08 PM

I strongly suggest you use plastics with a 1/2 oz or so jighead. You'd also be surprised what will come up and hit a silver metal slice cast over a reef.
Nice to see a taste of home on here.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
It wasn’t easy and it’s still not easy. The better half isn’t at peace about leaving the extended family but these things take time and support. It’s difficult on many levels to uproot and move across the world. The current travel restrictions aren’t helping either.

All that said, it was the best decision we could of made. Beautiful, safe place to live with the friendliest people I’ve ever met, a strong economy, gov who’s held accountable and an equal time roster. It’s very difficult to get a visa/PR/citizenship and move here but if the options there I would take it. That said, it was eight years of me working here before we made that choice.

Sorry to derail a little, but I had to google equal time roster. Isn’t that a better way to live.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
Sorry to derail a little, but I had to google equal time roster. Isn’t that a better way to live.
Mate, best thing ever. There are far, far more employee perks over here but it’s for a guy to google or discuss via pm. I don’t want to bring it up here. All I’ll say is we got/get the shaft in Alberta.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Mate, best thing ever. There are far, far more employee perks over here but it’s for a guy to google or discuss via pm. I don’t want to bring it up here. All I’ll say is we got/get the shaft in Alberta.
Ya your right your thread is simply awesome....anymore fishing experiences to share?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-02-2020, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ya your right your thread is simply awesome....anymore fishing experiences to share?

Nothing new. This 5/2 work schedule is for the birds. Besides the weekend trips in local waters the next kick at the cat so to speak will be later this month. It’ll be a two hour drive north in Hervey Bay off Rooney’s point. There’s an annual run of juvenile black marlin that get caught in the bay chasing bait that can be caught in shallow water just off Fraser Island. Boats frequently get double digit numbers per day as well as the typical by catch of dorado, Spanish mackerel, wahoo, tuna, GT’s etc. They’re all one and two year old fish but they arrive a month or two ahead of the big girls and are eager to feed so I’ll do a night or two out there with the boys. Here’s a link to that fishery. And a couple pics of the area

https://www.marlinmag.com/fraser-isl...lfish-fishing/

Unfortunately the only time I was there I wasn’t prepared/ didn’t know where exactly to fish and spend the day trolling on the wrong side of the point. We didn’t get any marlin and perhaps they weren’t in the bay that day.

Funny story though. We got up there just at dawn and from the back I heard my five year old. “Dad, (long pause) why is there snow on the ground”? The concern in his voice was comical. I looked out the window and saw what he was seeing. “That’s just sand buddy”. The sand up there is even whiter then here at home. It’s a beautiful part of the world.

The billfish are what gets me excited and what I’ve put most of my time into chasing although the by catch can be exciting too.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 09-02-2020 at 03:51 AM.