Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Nosler

I got a 300 wsm in a sako and All I use are 180 grain nosler balistic tip.By far the most lethal expansion bullet.the exit wound is the size of a grapefruit,plus I'm getting 1\2 inch groupings @100yds with 5 shots,go with the ballistic tip,Trust Me!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I got a 300 wsm in a sako and All I use are 180 grain nosler balistic tip.By far the most lethal expansion bullet.the exit wound is the size of a grapefruit,plus I'm getting 1\2 inch groupings @100yds with 5 shots,go with the ballistic tip,Trust Me!!!!

Trust you?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
But as the hydralic cylinder is not pushing an expanding object or an object that expands at varing rates, the comparison really is there.
The comparison is pressure as it relates to penetration, the comparison really is there. Without getting too involved the pressure on the leading face of the bullet is a changing entity just like you say. It starts out as a relatively low pressure, then as expansion initiates pressure rises and when it is fully engulfed in the animal a wave front of pressure forms radiating from the bullet. These are shock waves. Then as the shock wave dissipates the bullet then faces resistance more in the form of resistance from the leading face, the larger the leading face the more it will slow down.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
The comparison is pressure as it relates to penetration, the comparison really is there. Without getting too involved the pressure on the leading face of the bullet is a changing entity just like you say. It starts out as a relatively low pressure, then as expansion initiates pressure rises and when it is fully engulfed in the animal a wave front of pressure forms radiating from the bullet. These are shock waves. Then as the shock wave dissipates the bullet then faces resistance more in the form of resistance from the leading face, the larger the leading face the more it will slow down.
Yes I realize all of that but a hydraulic cylinder produces or faces none of that. There are a million similar comparisons you can make like pushing a pin in a pin cushion or driving a nail with an air nailer but unfortunately none of them face an expanding projectile.....a projectile that expands at varying rates at that. I think your belief in the cylinder theory prevented you from seeing the reason for the difference in penetration between the E-Tip and TSX. If nothing else, that comparison demonstrates that the hydraulic cylinder comparison is flawed.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM

All this testing mumbo jumbo aside- go shoot something with a TSX this fall and watch it tip over. Good enough test for me.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
All this testing mumbo jumbo aside- go shoot something with a TSX this fall and watch it tip over. Good enough test for me.
X2!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 PM

My cylinder theory hasn't prevented me from seeing the differences in penetration between the two, you've just portrayed the idea as such.

I don't think you quite understand where the analogy begins and ends my friend. To each their own. Thank you for the discussion.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Shot them for 15 years in my 300 Winny but Man the TSX is the ticket in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
My cylinder theory hasn't prevented me from seeing the differences in penetration between the two, you've just portrayed the idea as such.

I don't think you quite understand where the analogy begins and ends my friend. To each their own. Thank you for the discussion.
It begins and ends with the fact that the cylinder is not pushing an expanding object.