Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Default need a place to test my 22...

ok so i bought a rem 597 (probably my first mistake so i hear) last year. ever since i got it, its been acting wierd. misfiring every 2nd or 3rd shot.. so i just took it in and they said that they fixed it... but they didnt really know what was wrong.

i need a place, even a small piece of land i can just fire off about 100 rounds to make sure its working before my warranty expires so i can send it back without headaches if i need to... its aggrivating shooting a clip of 10 and only getting 6 shots out of it...

anybody know a place out of NW calgary that i can just go shoot a few rounds today or tomorrow?

conversly if somebody could tell me how to get to the crownland from calgary or give me a map of its ranges that would be appreciated too

Last edited by evolucian; 08-03-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Hi

The Homestead Public range isn't too far.
http://www.albertarifle.com/rangesframe.htm

A 597, like most semi autos is ammo sensitive. Try a few different types and speeds to get the best results. Round nose bullets feed better and more consistantly than some HP. Also, if the velocity is too high or too low it will cause misfeeds; try something in the 1100-1200 fps range for the likely best results. The magazine can also get dirty and cause sticking, be sure it is clean.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
gitrdun

Findal is right, I have a 597 bull barrel, very accurate but it does misfire more than desirable. I have a very old Savage tube fed that is more reliable. I'm SW of High River and you can come out to my place today, but you'll likely find something closer. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

The Shooting Edge charge $40 for a day pass, are open till 6 PM today and have various types of 22 ammo available for purchase;

http://www.theshootingedge.com/webpage/1002860/1000774

Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM

hey. thanks for the feedback. its actually a yellow jacket model. so thats what i started off with. and the problem isnt feeding. but instead the pin actually hits the bullet and the bullet doesnt fire... the guy said that there was burrs and lock tite in the top where the scope plate was that could have been causing the problem

ive been using ALL the ammo i could get my hands on from the cheap walmart stuff to athe most expensive i could find. same problem. every 2 or 3 was a misfire. the bullet just doesnt go off...

thanks for the info on the range 45mins west. i wil head out there... what are the rules out there? im a noob to ranges, i was hopign to just find a landowner closer to town to just check if it works... but i will head out there i guess.

also i cant seem to take the magazine apart? anywhere i can read up on that?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian View Post
...also i cant seem to take the magazine apart? anywhere i can read up on that?
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...ington_597.pdf

Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM

yeah im not so sure im all about the shooters edge.. paying $40 plus double the regular price for 22 shooting seems a bit ridiculous. especially when as far as i know my gun isnt even shooting 40% of the ammo...

when it comes to handguns i can for sure see the point.. but 22lr?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:23 PM

ok. took it out to the homestead road free range. wow. this think works great! strange how some ammo works better for it than other. any recommendations for brand? the 22 yellow jacket is very inaccurate i find.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 PM

jetski. the directions in the manual dont seem to work with the 597 magazine that i have. its metal and there's no way to press in the sides....
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM

I shoot CCI Stingers out of my 597 and I don't have any problems. They blow up gvophers real good also.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
the directions in the manual dont seem to work with the 597 magazine that i have. its metal and there's no way to press in the sides
Yes, they are metal and those directions apply.
It is a bit tough the first few times, but it does came apart.

Vice grips?

The hyper velocity ammo is less accurate than slower ammo.
Well, given a perfect world and speaking generally of commonly available cartridges- that is.
Crossing the speed of sound influences accuracy as can lighter bullets deflect more due wind. Gaping maw hollow points don't help much either.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Rem 597

Bought a new rem 597 in pink for the cook last christmas.Same story...jam every 3 rd shell(stove piping)It is ready for pick up at gunsmith this week.We tried 6 different types of ammo...still jams.Google 597 rem jamming...OMG.We own 11 other .22 s but this one was a disappointment.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
jetski. the directions in the manual dont seem to work with the 597 magazine that i have. its metal and there's no way to press in the sides....
For the metal mags look at the front or back of the mag for a slot between the metal and the plastic base plate. Put in a thin flat screw driver, twist the screwdriver and the base pops off. The spring needs to go back in the way it came out when reassembling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-TF...layer_embedded

Last edited by Jetski; 08-04-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
ok. took it out to the homestead road free range. wow. this think works great! strange how some ammo works better for it than other. any recommendations for brand? the 22 yellow jacket is very inaccurate i find.
Yeah - found the same. Inside 30yds they do wonderful damage to gophers, but outside - tough to hit em.

.22 ammo is pretty flaky stuff I've found. Batch to batch, lot to lot, all but the higher priced 'consistent' ammo like the Eley match stuff or even some of the CCI mid-speed stuff seem to be all over the map.

I've found with my Winchester 69a - anything but Winchester 'wal-mart' bulk is a waste of time. Feeds well, shoots well, doesn't mess up the hunting buddy's 10/22... best of all - it's 20 bucks for 500+ rounds.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I shoot CCI Mini-Mag round nose out of my 597, no cylcling issues and very accurate, maybe try some of them.
rimfirecentral.com is a great site to read about your 597, good luck and enjoy!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM

we have pretty good luck with federal champion in the blue box , feeds well and kills effectively. also like the american eagle , both in solid point. federal is 21$ for 525rounds and the eagle wasn't much more. Don't use auto -loaders though , pump and bolt action