Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Banned

Default Horizontal Stringing

Hello...

I shot a 200 yd. paper target today with a Savage 270 loaded with 130 gr. Hornady Interbonds. Conditions were cool, overcast with an 8 mph wind blowing 5 degrees towards the target. I fired 8 shots and got a 5 inch wide by 1.5 inch high horizontal group... I'm a competent shooter who connects out to 600 yds on gophers (w/ 223) so I am reasonably sure it not my shooting. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on interpreting horizontal stringing.

Best regards

Mike
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer View Post
Hello...

I shot a 200 yd. paper target today with a Savage 270 loaded with 130 gr. Hornady Interbonds. Conditions were cool, overcast with an 8 mph wind blowing 5 degrees towards the target. I fired 8 shots and got a 5 inch wide by 1.5 inch high horizontal group... I'm a competent shooter who connects out to 600 yds on gophers (w/ 223) so I am reasonably sure it not my shooting. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on interpreting horizontal stringing.

Best regards

Mike
What group size do you get at 100m?
(3shot)
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer View Post
Hello...

Best regards

Mike
What can the setup do at 100 yards?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Default Stringing

I have not shot the rifle since last year's hunting season. Last year, using the identical load that I worked up, I was able to get 1.1 inch groups at 100 yards. I ran out of time before last years hunting season so I was unable to improve the load to get better accuracy... My shooting yesterday was to use up all of last years ammo and to refresh myself with how the rifle was shooting.. I did not get the results I expected...

Mike
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Did you check to see if there was a pressure point on one side?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM

I dont think that's such a bad group; if you got a 1,1" 3 shot group at 100m, theoretically you should get 2,2" at 200 (3 shots) so if you fire 8 shots your group will open up exponentially, Also did you fire a couple of shots then let the barrel cool or were you shooting 8 shots one after the other? A 270 Barrel will be pretty warm after 8 shots fired without a break.
The other thing if you measure your target from the middle of the the two holes that are the furthest appart that will give you your grouping.
a) o
b) o c) o
So you would measure from the middle of a to the middel of c to give you your group size
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM

If you have not shot your gun for a year maybe you need some practice. Just saying.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Gone Hunting

think the wind was playing games?????...you know your gun etc. 5 mph at the bemch can be different down range????