Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Arrow .22 Semi Autos

What would everyone suggest that I look into for a .22 semi-auto. I'm not a big fan of bolt actions. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!

Secondly, where is the best place to buy new firearms in Calgary? (I'm sure this will open up some opinions).
Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
sheephunter

The Thompson Center or Ruger would be at the top of my list.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Reminton m597

Remington Apache m66

Both are pretty good shooting little rifles.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Default 10/22

You really can't go wrong with the Ruger 10/22. WSS will probably have a good, if not the best price on them. Be sure to pick up some butler creek steel lips 25 round magazines along with, and plenty of ammo. They are a total blast!! I can't say anything bad about the 597, as I have never shot one, however they are bringing out a new AR-15 look-alike model which is next on my to-buy list.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 PM

10/22.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Remington 597

If you are looking to spend around 200-300 bucks, (depending on the model) have a hard look at the Remington 597. A few years ago when I bought mine it came down to the remi or a Ruger 10/22. I bought the 597 because I loved the feel of it, it felt like a full sized rifle not undersized like the Rugers. It was a great shooter right out of the box and I have loved it ever since. They are a fun gun to tinker with, I replaced the trigger hammer with a VQ target hammer and it greatly improved the trigger pull, which was very heavy to start with. There are not a lot of after market add-ons for the 597 like the Ruger 10/22. If you look at all the stuff you can do to a 10/22 the options are almost endless, that is only reason I would buy a 10/22.

But if you want to spend some more maybe have a look at the guns
SheepHunter is reccomending.

As for where to buy, I like the guys and prices at Russells best. Then it would be the Canadian Tire on Mcleod and Southland, then BSP, then Whole Sale sports, I have had good service from Aaron (young guy that works weeknights) and Dana.

Good luck and have fun looking, a 22 semi is the most fun you have with a gun as far as I am concerned!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:47 PM

Another vote for a Ruger 10/22.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Ruger 10/22 lots of stuff you can do with them plus get a clip loader saves the big black thumb and way faster
Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
"What would everyone suggest that I look into for a .22 semi-auto . . . "
This ^ is an 'Age Old' question on most hunting related, outdoor forums ... including this one. It's been asked at least a thousand times.

Check out the forum 'Search this Forum' button ... with a little searching, you will find that the Ruger 10/22 (in it's various forms) wins 'hands-down' almost every time.

Here are a few examples of the Ruger 10/22 (the first one being mine) ...

Lots more where they ^ came from; http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...Yes&type=Rifle

Keep one eye on the horizon, and yer muzzle out o' the mud

TF
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Another vote for the 10/22!!!
Mine has thousands of rounds thru it and continues to kick out pretty much any and all shells.
I am also amazed at how accurate it can be with a proper scope on.
Not to mention options for clips and stuff that other semis probably don't have.
I'd buy another one!!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:38 PM

i find my 10/22 to be a stove pipe machine. at least every other round gets stuck. havent found a brand that wont in it either. but ive seen others that it rarely happens to. i would like to get a golden boy...there sweet little guns.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
"i find my 10/22 to be a stove pipe machine. at least every other round gets stuck. havent found a brand that wont in it either . . . "
A 'very' rare story ^ indeed, for a Ruger 10/22! One of their main attributes is how reliable they are. I can go through a thousand rounds or more with my 10/22 without a single misfire.

For your 'misbehaving' 10/22, a thorough tear-down and cleaning might be in order. Nine times out of ten, that usually solves any problems with a 10/22. Failing that, a trip to your local Smith might be warranted.

Let us know how it goes,

TF
Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Id go with the 10-22 myself. but if you can try to buy an older one the new ones are coming with plastic trigger groups, its pretty cheesy, doesnt even feel like good plastic im dissapointed in ruger on that one, but they still go bang and they come with an extended mag release now which is nice, its plastic too lol
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

A 'very' rare story ^ indeed, for a Ruger 10/22! One of their main attributes is how reliable they are. I can go through a thousand rounds or more with my 10/22 without a single misfire.

For your 'misbehaving' 10/22, a thorough tear-down and cleaning might be in order. Nine times out of ten, that usually solves any problems with a 10/22. Failing that, a trip to your local Smith might be warranted.

Let us know how it goes,

TF
not so rare, i know of 3 others owned by 2 guys that are the same way.....ok so maybe it is rare compared to how many have been sold haha...but i am not a 10/22 fan

marlin mod60 for me for that price range..
Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Ruger 10/22
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM

Bought a 10/22....wouldnt buy another. Fail to fires are common. I personally think its sad to buy a rifle then have to spend more to get it to shoot correctly.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Shouldn't have to do anything with a 10/22 to make it fire. If the FTF's are due to faulty ammo, and the cases show a good firing pin hit, then it is no fault of the rifle. If the cases show light strikes, then the rifle is at fault. Ruger's warranty is one of, if not the best in the industry, so If you 10/22 is not performing up to par, have it warrantied for sure. I dont want to start sounding like a broken record, but a 10/22, when functioning correctly, is a very, very, reliable semi automatic .22.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 PM

My 22's a little browning grade 1....no ejection problems and it shoots good enough for what I want.....and she is is kinda pretty with a fixed 4x

A plus is that ejects out the bottom so it's nice if'n your a lefty.

A minus is that it ejects out the bottom and it will bite you if you slide your hand to far back.

A friend told me that it sux when you shoot it from the truck while wearing shorts

It's really lite and breaks down into 2 pieces so packing it is really easy.....put it in your pack for day hikes and use it if you see grouse or rabbit on the way out you're good to go.....lets you carry it and a real rifle.

Thought I'd throw it in the mix for ya.

tm
Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
"My 22's a little browning grade 1....no ejection problems and it shoots good enough for what I want . . . Thought I'd throw it in the mix for ya."
Thanks for that ^ TM

I always thought Browning's Semi-Auto 22 looked kinda sweet . . .

TF
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 PM

I have a 10-22, great gun, will never sell it. I have the 25rd Steel-lips mags and a mag charger. it was a bit finicky on the first few bricks of ammo, it will now shoot any brand reliably. Savage makes a cheap .22 in Lakefield Ontario, sells for about $150. Very accurate, slays gophers, no aftermarket goodies unlike the Ruger. http://savagearms.com/64f.htm
Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 PM

Default 10-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Id go with the 10-22 myself. but if you can try to buy an older one the new ones are coming with plastic trigger groups, its pretty cheesy, doesnt even feel like good plastic im dissapointed in ruger on that one, but they still go bang and they come with an extended mag release now which is nice, its plastic too lol

I was just watching on Gun and Ammo TV about the new polymer trigger assembly on the 10-22. They did a drop test on the old aluminim gaurd and the new polymer one. 4.5 lbs @ 3ft.

The aluminum gaurd broke and the new polymer gaurd was unscathed. They also said it was more accurate and dependable.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m88.358wn View Post
Reminton m597

Remington Apache m66

Both are pretty good shooting little rifles.
Where did you get that apache? I don't think they've made them for a while.How does it feed?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 PM

i have a rem 597 yellow jacket model (in the grey not the yellow) and when i first got it i was having major problems. was misfiring every other round. i took it in to wholesale sports (recommend you buy there in calgary) where i bought it and the guy took a look at it. i guess there were burrs inside that were affecting the action. so he fixed it and today i shot about 200 rounds with 1 misfire.. saweet!

so i hear a lot about the 10/22 but the one that i shot had really bad accuracy. who knows could have been the bullets or something .but today i was aiming at a paint can about 100 yds away and i just unloaded on it. all 5 hit it.

i hear its a toss up between the two. just make sure you get the guys in the shop to set it up for you whichever way you go. it will make your life easier.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 AM

My vote would be the Ruger 10/22. Millions of them around so there are more modifications, bells and whistles available than you can imagine, if you like that sort of thing. Sold mine though... prefer my CZ bolt action. Just a different class of gun.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:52 PM

I am curious about that apache auto loading remington. Is it the same as a nylon66? the user that posted the pics is casual only and not answering. Anybody know? I see theres one for sale in the hunting items for a couple hundred