Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Banned

Default Importing a rifle

Do any know what the process is or what paperwork is needed for importing a new or used rifle into Canada. This would be permanent importation and not for a temporary hunter or is there a difference. Thanks.

The CBSA site isn't clear on who verifies if a firearm is an antique, non-restricted, restricted, etc before it is released; ie: does a 'verifier' need to check the rifle for function before CBSA will let the owner pick up a shipped firearm.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P011

Also does a non-restricted firearm purchased in another country need to be registered before importing it or after it has cleared Canada customs.

Last edited by Jetski; 07-27-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 AM

I heard it was quite a lengthy and muddy process doing this, what with the permits, duties and crap due to international shipping and our wunderbar system from what I understand.Also expensive.
A friend brought in a custom rifle from the excited states, and in the end, he paid a fair bit more than he expected, waited longer. He could have gotten the rifle with all the options he "custom ordered" in a factory-semi custom type rifle, faster and cheaper through a Canadian dealer.

Anyway, if you have one specific item in mind, it may be more efficient for you to try to find a Canadian company that already has all the paperwork in order, and have them get it in country for you, for a fee, of course.They bring in international stuff every day, month whatever, so it may streamline your process. Just my $0.02
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 AM
sheephunter

The Canadian paperwork is a breeze. All you need is an import certificate and then pre register it before you pick it up from Customs. The paperwork required on the U.S. side is another matter completely and from what I've seen requires the use of very good exporter. I imported a rifle not too long ago and was shocked how easy it was on this side of the border and how difficult it was on the other side. The Firearm Centre will verify it over the telephone when you register it.

Shipping is expensive as it must go Air Canada. That can range anywhere from $250 and up depending on their mood.

If it's a rifle you can't find up here it may be worth it but otherwise, it's likely cheaper here. It's not impossible but it takes several months, it is expensive and a lot of trees must die for all the U.S. paperwork.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

Thanks fellows. Where does one apply to get a 'firearm import permit'. I'm thinking that a permit would also be required to import a pre-1897 single shot rifle, greater than 8.3mm caliber, as the rifle is probably not considered to be an antique firearm as defined by Canadian legislation until it is 'verified' by the CFC to be so.

Edit:

The firearm import process is fairly well explained on this page;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...porter-eng.htm

and here is the application for importing a firearm which I got from DFAIT after phoning them;

http://www.international.gc.ca/contr...ts/EXT1020.pdf

Last edited by Jetski; 07-31-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetski View Post
Thanks fellows. Where does one apply to get a 'firearm import permit'. I'm thinking that a permit would also be required to import a pre-1897 single shot rifle, greater than 8.3mm caliber, as the rifle is probably not considered to be an antique firearm as defined by Canadian legislation until it is 'verified' by the CFC to be so.

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/servlet...display&c=Regs
Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Prophet River firearms in LLoydminster offers a import service, I am sure they could answer any questions.

http://www.prophetriver.com/content.php?id=home
Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Prophet River firearms in LLoydminster offers a import service, I am sure they could answer any questions.

http://www.prophetriver.com/content.php?id=home
Thanks Mike, I talked with Clay at PRF, nice guy with good knowledge. From the US the cost to handle the importation of a rifle, either registerable or antique would be $195 not including shipping costs in the US from seller to the Montana exporter nor shipping cost in Canada from PRF to the Canadian buyer. Sounds like a fair price to me and other parts may be brought in through PRF as well.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM

What if you had some one from the US brings up a gun and sells it to you? Could this be a short cut to the process?............or is totally ilegal as well

AL
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholal View Post
What if you had some one from the US brings up a gun and sells it to you? Could this be a short cut to the process?............or is totally ilegal as well

AL
Totally illegal......from a U.S. perspective. Likely land the seller in U.S. prison.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Totally illegal......from a U.S. perspective. Likely land the seller in U.S. prison.
Some of the old Alberta guides tell stories of how their clients such as Dean Martin and others used to leave their guns or rifles as a tip for a good hunt, I guess that won't be happening much anymore.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
sheephunter

Ya, people in the U.S. really have their heads in the sand regarding their level of gun control. It's much worse than ours in many respects.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Importing

You do not need to go to the border to pick it up. Have it mailed and pick it up at your post office no need to let Scair Canada make a nickle off of you.

Find out what you want can come to Canada of if it can even leave the USA.
After this is done find a USA exporter this is the hard part the fella in Montana has no license and his Wife is waiting on hers. She isn't 100% sure if she will even get it.
If it is a true antique in the USA it makes it a slam dunk. the fella in Montana will do them he doesn't need a license.

1 get your rifle bought so you get a serial number.
2 register it in Canada.
3 get the rifle sent to your exporter.
4 get you import papers in order.
5 send the needed papers to the importer.
6 They gets the export papers and mail it to you.
7 Customs plays with it and keeps it for a while.
8 Card from your post office item has arrived and you owe $XX.XX taxes and Handling fee from Canadian Customs.
9 pay fees pick up parcel and you my friend are in the possesion of your fire arm.

Expect to waste a month doing this process from the time you start till the time she arrives.

Have done 5 firearms so far 2 rifles antique and 2 rifles antique replicas and 1 TC Contender Barrel.

Good Luck Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Good information, thanks all.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 AM

give these guys a call they will help you out
2309-54th Avenue,
Lloydminster
Alberta, T9V 2T6
Phone: 780-872-2865
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
You do not need to go to the border to pick it up. Have it mailed and pick it up at your post office no need to let Scair Canada make a nickle off of you.

Find out what you want can come to Canada of if it can even leave the USA.
After this is done find a USA exporter this is the hard part the fella in Montana has no license and his Wife is waiting on hers. She isn't 100% sure if she will even get it.
If it is a true antique in the USA it makes it a slam dunk. the fella in Montana will do them he doesn't need a license.

1 get your rifle bought so you get a serial number.
2 register it in Canada.
3 get the rifle sent to your exporter.
4 get you import papers in order.
5 send the needed papers to the importer.
6 They gets the export papers and mail it to you.
7 Customs plays with it and keeps it for a while.
8 Card from your post office item has arrived and you owe $XX.XX taxes and Handling fee from Canadian Customs.
9 pay fees pick up parcel and you my friend are in the possesion of your fire arm.

Expect to waste a month doing this process from the time you start till the time she arrives.

Have done 5 firearms so far 2 rifles antique and 2 rifles antique replicas and 1 TC Contender Barrel.

Good Luck Ken.
You do know that antiques are not registered and not treated as firearms for the purposes of the Firearms Act, right? And then the T/C barrel is a different subject all together as its not the firearm itself either. This is why you have done things the way you have and simply used the mail system.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a3

Following are some weapons and devices that meet the definition of a firearm but that are deemed not to be firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act and related offences in the Criminal Code. Some of these items are exempted from the definition only if they were designed exclusively for a specific purpose and are intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person who possesses it. However, all of the items listed below are considered to be firearms if used in a criminal or negligent manner.

Antique firearms;

Devices designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress, for firing blank cartridges or for firing stud cartridges, explosive-driven rivets or other industrial projectiles;

Shooting devices designed exclusively forslaughtering domestic animals, tranquilizing animals, or discharging projectiles with lines attached to them;

Air guns and other barreled weapons designed to have:
A muzzle velocity of 152.4 meters (500 feet) per second or less and/or
A muzzle energy of 5.7 joules (4.2 foot pounds) or less.

As well, Replica firearms of antiques are not considered firearms either nor are they prohibited.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...plique-eng.htm

Replica firearms are prohibited.

To be prohibited as a replica firearm, a device must closely resemble an existing make and model of firearm. If it looks like an antique firearm, as defined by the Criminal Code and Criminal Code Regulations, it is not prohibited.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Default importing

The 44 Stevens that was sent up Friday couldn't be verified by serial number in the States that it was built prior to 1898 and it is coming up by mail.
The jist i got from talking to Leroy is he can mail all of his firearms up. I talked to him very extensively before under taking any of this.
I may be wrong or misunderstood the man by as for people to talk to in the USA he really seems to know his shtuff.

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

Last edited by kodiakken; 08-02-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling