Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Default Factory ammunition recommendations

So I should get my moose draw this upcoming season. Will be first time hunting moose. Im currently shooting 130gr federal fusions out of my 270. Im thinking I want to go a little heavier this year.

What factory ammo/bullet should I start trying out? Im fairly certain ill be using 150gr bullets for both my whitetail and moose hunt but no idea what other cartridge I should try. Or maybe I should stick with the fusions?

The fusions worked ok for deer but not sure how they will hold up against a moose.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 PM

If the 130 fusions are shooting well for you, why change?
Moose albeit larger than deer, bleed out just like a deer, and the last one I saw wasn't equipped with Kevlar or ar500 plate.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Moose albeit larger than deer, bleed out just like a deer, and the last one I saw wasn't equipped with Kevlar or ar500 plate.
They are shooting very well for me....well not so much at last years rifle rodeo lol.

I do like your answer though Dick. I dont necessarily want to change just thought maybe 130gr might be a little light.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM

I have had excellent luck with Winchester XP3 and Barnes Tipped Triple Shock bullets. They hold together great and penetrate excellently.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Default Nosler Partitions

150 Nosler Partitions.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Two seven tee

I was in the same boat as you two years ago. Got my bull moose draw and was going to use my good ole .270. I was using a soft point bullet for deer, as you don't really need a "super bullet" per say.
I tried a few different brands in my gun and I ended up going with the federal premium Trophy Bonded Tip in 130 grn. They shot well and I have some buddies that had great luck with them. In the end I hit my moose at 160 yards and he ran for only 20 yards.
In your case, find the right bullet that shoots good from your gun and put that bullet in the sweet spot and you will be good to go with a freezer full of meat. Only reason I went to a stronger bonded bullet is that if I happen to hit that big shoulder bone it will hold together and not fail like a cheaper bullet might. Lots of guys I hunt with use a .270 with a 130 grn bullet. No problems there for a bigger game animal. Shot placement is key!
Good luck, Dudes2010
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM

My 270, a Ruger never did like 150gr bullets as much as 130Gr bullets. I used Fusion on deer with good accuracy and they killed a couple deer well. I switched to Partitions then later Barnes TSX both shot well in my 270. I took my moose a few years ago with the Barnes and was happy with them. I did feel more at ease with an elk tag in my pocket and stout hunting bullets in my gun.

Maybe try some partitions or Barnes if you prefer unleaded.

Good Luck Bud!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I'm on the same team here.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. 130gr is enough. Put it in the right place.
I wouldn't give it a second thought. If they shoot good for you then have at er.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
My 270, a Ruger never did like 150gr bullets as much as 130Gr bullets. I used Fusion on deer with good accuracy and they killed a couple deer well. I switched to Partitions then later Barnes TSX both shot well in my 270. I took my moose a few years ago with the Barnes and was happy with them. I did feel more at ease with an elk tag in my pocket and stout hunting bullets in my gun.

Maybe try some partitions or Barnes if you prefer unleaded.

Good Luck Bud!
Thanks! I still haven't shot any of the ammo you sent me. I haven't forgot about you though and will send you some brass back just as soon as I have a chance to get out shootin'.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM

The130 's will be fine - but don't forget this is coming ft drone who says
" Don 't fix it if it ain't broke" while getting ready to ship a rifle off to the 'smith to get s perfectly good .270 barrel pulled off and get a new barrel in a different cartridge put on!!
Cat
Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM

Your fusions will be fine i wouldnt switch, shot my cow moose this past season with 150grain fusions out of my 270win and worked just fine, your 130s probably wouldnt be much different.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM

A good 130gr bullet, will work just fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM

Well my friend, as you know, much of the fun is in the anticipation and preparation. If I was in your shoes, I would stroll into Cabelas and buy three boxes of ammo:

1) Barnes Vortex 130 gr
2) Federal Premium Nosler Partitions 150 gr
3) HSM Trophy Berger 150 gr

If one shoots wonderfully, go for it. If not, stick with the Fusions. They are a darn good bullet. Put it through the lungs. Take pictures. Post on AO. Choose what type of sausages you are gonna get made up. Game over. Start again.