Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM

Default First time over and under owner

Well I've finally joined the club of owning my first over and under shotgun. I was curious to see if any one has information as to what oil a guy should use on the action to help break it in. Also if there are any good starting points to a hunting and clays choke set up. My shotgun came with 5 chokes. Any information would be great.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 AM

To start with ,keep WD-40 away from your firearms. I use FP-10 or G-96 Synthetic Gun oil for most firearm uses, but I prefer STOS by Ponsness Warren, for lubing the hinges of my O/U and SXS guns. For skeet, I use two skeet chokes. For trap, I use a Mod and a Full. I haven't shot a lot of Sporting Clays yet, but IC and LM worked for me. For hunting upland birds, I generally use IC and Mod. I always use the more open choke in the lower barrel, and I prefer to fire the lower barrel first, since the lower barrel is more in line with your shoulder, and provides slightly less barrel rise, when fired.

As to chokes, not all chokes that are marked the same, pattern the same in the field. You might want to actually pattern your chokes, with the loads that you intend to use, before finalizing your choice of chokes.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 AM

All of the above, except I use Lubriplate or a similar Lithium grease.
You don't need to overdo it , but what I do make sure i do is to clean the grease off before i put the gun away, and re-apply it before using it again.

grease or oil, doesn't really matter, as long as it's there!
Most of the companies these days supply a little oil vial in their shotgun cases.
The big this is to use it regularly.
As far as chokes go, I don't like to over complicate things.
IC/MOD and go shoot stuff!

How you swing ion the gun and lead the bird is far more important than what you are using for a choke.
Cat
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Smile grease

there are specialty greases online that work well. Oil is not adequate for the hinge area that takes all the shock every time you pull the trigger. I have been using synthetic EP grease from the auto store, seems to work well.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duks View Post
there are specialty greases online that work well. Oil is not adequate for the hinge area that takes all the shock every time you pull the trigger. I have been using synthetic EP grease from the auto store, seems to work well.
I disagree , people like Berreta, Franchi, FAIR, Browning, Cesar Guerrini and every other manufacturer that supplies oil in their high end guns and recommend it !

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM

I like using Briley extended chokes. The longer forcing cone with hard shot seem to print better for shooting clays. There is a couple other reasons I like extended chokes, they are if your hunting and something bad happens and you smack your barrel on a rock, the choke extension takes the brunt of the damage and is easily replaces unlike a thin wall shotgun barrel. The second is that you always know what tube you have in each barrel. On a side note about chokes, don't get too caught up on them as many competition shooters with $18,000 Perazzi's I have shot with ordered them with fixed chokes. Get the chokes you want to use and go to a patterning board and figure out your patterns and point of impact. This simple step will make life easier for you.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Banned

STOS Lubricant on all metal to metal contacts. When the lubricant starts getting dirty a full cleaning follows.

The Beretta oil with my guns smells like I should put it on my pizza.

I love the smell.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Thanks guys, your help is great. It's nice to have a great starting spot. I am really looking forward to busting some clays and possibly even getting after some upland birds. Who knows my next step might be a black powder Cat.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Manufacturer?
Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggind View Post
Thanks guys, your help is great. It's nice to have a great starting spot. I am really looking forward to busting some clays and possibly even getting after some upland birds. Who knows my next step might be a black powder Cat.
NOW yet talkin' !!
Cat
Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Well Shep dog the manufacturer I went with was a Fausti. Fit and finish is wonderful. I looked at a CZ and for the money this is a great shot gun. Can't wait to shoot it. I think I am already a shotgun addict.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggind View Post
Well Shep dog the manufacturer I went with was a Fausti. Fit and finish is wonderful. I looked at a CZ and for the money this is a great shot gun. Can't wait to shoot it. I think I am already a shotgun addict.
Nuthin' wrong with a Fausti, that's for sure!
Cat
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM

backbored chokes

i use amsoil version of wd-40

get a gun that fits, fits, fits

over the shot years i have 50-60,00 clays most with 2 winchester 101's one of which I still have ... both 20 ga.. the one i sold was a pigeon grade 101 with briley and brown chokes... the one i kept has fixed m/f chokes... made a few hi end gun owners cry because they knew what i had .. lots of ego once you climb the trap & skeet ladders .. try skeet with m/f and once you start hitting 22 birds switch to the s/s chokes... the tight chokes will let you know why/how you miss..new ww loads have tracer debris in the shell with these you do not need a spotter behind you

i presently have the 20 ga and a ruger red label 28 that fits/fits/fits and has bb briley tubes... i use the m/f tubes and have dusted pheasant out to a paced 52 yards.. most at 10-35 yards with #5's

did i mention fit/fit/fit

one guy i used to shoot with bought a browning adjustable and had his scores consistently at 24-25... before he was about 21-22 with his perazzi ( 2nd hand that did not fit him)

this is my .02 and

did i mention fit /fit/fit
Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

So, Fausti included a manual, correct? I'd follow that.

Hopefully, it takes you a very long time to "break in" your gun.

Have fun.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 PM

I found that in a round of 200 sporting clays, I would have to relube the hinge pins half way through if I was using oil. I switched to grease and the gun is still well lubricated at the end of the day with out relubing. White lithium or synthetic grease are my choices.

I tend to agree with the old saying that if it rotates oil it, if it slides, grease it.