Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Take a look at what Lefty says and think about it for a bit.
For your brass to reach a high enough temp on the neck, the water will be boiling over!!
Roll you cases over a butane torch until you cannot comfortably hold them then place them on a towel.
Done- doesn't have to be any more complicated than that, I've been doing it that way since I was a kid and will be doing some Snider brass tonight in fact.
Cat
I did my first bunch the other day just as Cat said. Very easy to do and quick. Thanks Cat.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Take a look at what Lefty says and think about it for a bit.
For your brass to reach a high enough temp on the neck, the water will be boiling over!!
Roll you cases over a butane torch until you cannot comfortably hold them then place them on a towel.
Done- doesn't have to be any more complicated than that, I've been doing it that way since I was a kid and will be doing some Snider brass tonight in fact.
Cat
For really large diameter cases or someone with dexterity problems like arthritis, I find that holding the case lightly with the index finger and thumb of one hand ans spinning it with the other works perfect.
Cat
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Banned

I acquired one of these Anneal-Rite units from Lee (duceman). It comes with Tempilaq and I anneal easily 100 casings in half hour. The casings do not need to be dropped in water. Very simple and slick. He is the Canadian stocking distributor.

http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Default small temperature range

Wow some great info here and that heating ring is fantastic, similar to the reverse of a stove burner. Son Made one for me as he is a tinbasher.

Good thing we are not talking about heating temps of steel here as there are unlimited temperatures to treat steel, brass has a way less range to anneal it.

I found too that if you get too close and too red hot with the flame it will impregnate the hot brass with unburned Carbon and turn it black. It's harder to take off too but a bit of scotchbrite works wonders on it.

If you want to be precise in the temps you want use a temple stick of the right degree available at any welding supply place.
With steel, true color of the tempering is a sign of a good smith, and looks great too.

Tags
annealing