Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Default The Jets back in Winnipeg?

Does anyone think that Phoenix has played their last game and the Jets are finally going home? Despite the rumors, I'm sure hoping so.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:36 AM

Would be nice to see, but I don't think that it will happen. Mr. Bettman seems to be against it any teams coming north of the border.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 AM

Bettmans tone is definetly changing. His interview with cybulski today showed that. He acknowledged the difficulties and is saying unless Glenndale pays for the losses then the team is gone next season. There is a meeting tomorrow between the two sides but I doubt it will turn out. It would be great to see the Jets back where they belong.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 AM

Default Winterpeg Jets

I agree with WCTHEMI. Bettmen has no intention of letting another team come north. Eventhough they continue to lose money in Tampa Bay, Florida, Phoenix, Nashville, Long Island, and Carolina.

The market studies have shown that they can support a team in Winterpeg, Hamilton, Windsor( Toronto is against these 2 as it's competiton) Quebec City ( I just threw up in my mouth as I typed that) and even the maritimes could support a team. Even Saskatchewan could support a team. GO GOPHERS!

The dinosaurs running the NHL are clueless! They will continue to fund the money pits in the southern states until the league collapses. The only person to blame will be Bettmen who the just signed to another 5 year contract!

WAY TO GO MORONS!

SYCOSEAN
Old 04-21-2011, 03:17 AM

It would be nice to have another frachise in Canada.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:14 AM

As much as I dislike Bettman, I think they will end up moving back to Winnipeg. I don't think the NHL can afford another losing franchise.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Smile I think they are back!

It turns out the local people of Glendale, are not interested in giving Mr. Bettman handouts from the public purse. So either they put in their own money to keep the team there or head for anywhere that will take them.

Remember that is not a charity, it is a business that is supposed to make money!

Expansion was suppose to make all the owners rich, look what they sold the new franchises for. The league has had to take over running Phoenix, and that can't last. If the franchise collapses, they may have to give the previous owners (Wayne Gretzky) back his money. That is likely to happen right!

So where can they dump this money pit? Canada!

Stay tuned for a similar story from Atlanta, hello Quebec!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycosean View Post
The market studies have shown that they can support a team in Winterpeg, Hamilton, Windsor( Toronto is against these 2 as it's competiton) Quebec City ( I just threw up in my mouth as I typed that) and even the maritimes could support a team. Even Saskatchewan could support a team. GO GOPHERS!
Highly doubt Sask or the Maritimes could support teams. There is a mile of difference between farmers coming in 8 games a year to buy $20 football tickets and well-heeled citizens or corporations buying $100+ ticks and sky boxes for 41 home games. There are 10 cities in Canada bigger than Saskatoon that don't have NHL teams yet.

I'm personally wondering how Winnipeg will be able to afford a team. Why did they leave in the first place? The had an old arena, now they have a new, small arena. I guess they could make it if the had no intentions of ever going near the cap.

The logical, "can't miss" solution would really be to put a second team in Toronto. NYC has 3, LA has 2. Toronto could easily support 2. Charge someone a few hundred million for the franchise, give the Leafs half, split the rest. Someone would pay miles more to put one there than to put one in Winnipeg.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm personally wondering how Winnipeg will be able to afford a team. Why did they leave in the first place? The had an old arena, now they have a new, small arena. I guess they could make it if the had no intentions of ever going near the cap.
The main reason Winnipeg could not keep a team in the 90s was because the Canadian dollar was worth about 60 cents US, and the players all get paid in US dollars.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

it was all about the tv deal. Pheonix and atlanta were 2 of the top 6 largest TV markets in the states this is important to betman because if Pheonix moved last year, they would have lost major local markets in pheonix. Betmans push for NHL to be in the states has always been about landing a large US tv contract. Now that he has done that and has locked in for 10 years, he WILL move teams to be in markets where they will make money with ticket revenue(canada). Pheonix will move to winipeg. not so certain about atlanta to Quebec City though. A better place for it market wise and financially would be southern ontario.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Why was it winnipeg left in the first place? If memory serves me correctly they could't fill a hat with fans and that's not to say there wasn't enough of them. I think the Jets were loosing too much money as soon as the league expanded and there wasn't enough financial backing from the community or big business so unless things have changed in Winnipeg, I don't think they will be coming back unfortunatly. Would they loose more money in the South, or the North. I think the answer is pretty clear.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
The main reason Winnipeg could not keep a team in the 90s was because the Canadian dollar was worth about 60 cents US, and the players all get paid in US dollars.
That may be a large part of it, but Edmonton and Calgary survived. Winnipeg is clearly a weaker market.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM

When we had the team back then they did not own anything, it was all owned buy Winnipeg Enterprises not the team.(parking, food stands etc). There was no profit sharing , us dollar, old building. etc etc. It,s a lot better for all the Canadian teams now. Go Jets Go. Please don't forget we now have the richest man in Canada backing us up, and that is big.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That may be a large part of it, but Edmonton and Calgary survived. Winnipeg is clearly a weaker market.
That's a good point, but Calgary and Edmonton both have had concerns over having to move too. But you're right, by population alone Winnipeg is a weaker market. My brother lives there and says that there would be a great deal more corporate support for a team these days, especially with the economy picking up. Although I wouldn't want to see Winnipeg beating the Flames in the playoffs again, I wouldn't mind seeing their team go back home.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM

Well, I hope it happens. Quebec too. Mind you, contraction and a dispersal draft would be nice too. Just don't see that though, as that would mean the league cared more about the integrity of the game than a few bucks. Baseball did it, Hockey wouldn't.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
That's a good point, but Calgary and Edmonton both have had concerns over having to move too. But you're right, by population alone Winnipeg is a weaker market. My brother lives there and says that there would be a great deal more corporate support for a team these days, especially with the economy picking up. Although I wouldn't want to see Winnipeg beating the Flames in the playoffs again, I wouldn't mind seeing their team go back home.
Don't remember ever beating anyone in the playoffs. Dam you oilers.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM

One thing that you are all forgetting is that "Winnipegers" came up with all the money to keep the team for another season, but the NHL moved them anyways! Why? Who knows?