Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Default ATVs: Can-Am 500 vs 650 vs Polaris 550

I'm looking for some advice on my short list of ATVs. I down to the Polaris Sportsman EPS 550 or the Can-Am Outlanders, either the 500 XT or the 650 XT.

Do people have any comments between the two manufacturers?

I'm not in need of a lot of horsepower, I'm more concerned with the reliability and cold weather preformance between the two Can-Am models, comments?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Hey our group runs allot of can-ams. Best atv out there. I ride a 650 tonnes of power pulls wheelies with 28" mud lites. my brother runs a 500 he likes it just not the same snap as the 650. My cousin rides an 800xt pretty similar to my 650 lots of power, his fiance runs a 400 and gets around great on it. Another buddy ride a 400 outlander and a 800 renegade. All the machines have been very reliable no major issues never been left on the trail. Other that the time i ran a fist sized branch thru the rad!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM

always go with the bigger engine, i learned that with snowmobiles. you are always left craving more power. i went with a 700 and so far I find its not leaving me wanting more.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM

I think Polaris is bottom of the barrel in terms of the big 6 when it comes to ATV's. In my opinion I would go with the Can-Am just because of the way it is put together and the positive comments I have heard. I have owned a few Polaris atv's over the years. Based on my own experiences with Polaris I had nothing but trouble with them both times. Never again, now that's not to say that they are complete crap because one of my pals owns two and he loves them and has never had a problem. I now own a Honda for the durability and reliability of it and it's definatly paid off 10 fold. My next atv will be a Can-Am 800 Outlander. At least if it ever fails I'll have the Ol' die hard Honda to fall back on.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Owned Can Am's before changing to argos.
Great machines, you won't go wrong with them.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm on my fourth canam,had three outties and now running a renegade with the 500 engine. if you can justify the extra cost for the added cc's get the bigger engine.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM

I have an 08 Can-Am 650xt and my buddy runs an 800. His has a bit more power but the fuel mileage on mine is much better. For the small sacrifice in power I prefer the better mileage. Besides, I haven't seen anything I have not been able to pull yet. lol
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Default quads

I run a 800 sportsman and like it. I heard can-ams had issues with overheating and the frames twisting. The can am issues I heard of were a few years ago. Both.are good machines if you maintain them. Just glad you didn't ask about a honda......great for hauling surveying sticks around.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

I have a 500 XT and it'll outwork and outpull other manufacturer's machines with bigger engines. I looked at a 650 before buying and I decided that I just didn't need that much power and torque. I use mine for hauling wood out of the bush on a trailer and pulling boat lifts out of the lake. A 500 has plenty of power to get the job done but you certainly wouldn't go wrong with buying a 650. An 800 is just crazy IMO.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM

not trying to derail this thread, I wanted a Canam so bad but just couldnt get the dough, I bought a brand new Honda 420trxes for 6999 plus tax, now you could get two of them for the price of one canam, and let me tell you, there is not one place the 650-800 guys go I ride with that I was not there to. Sure it is a solid axle, sure its only 420, but it really is all you need. Ever here anyone say anything bad about a honda? Nope they run forevere and start everytime. Just my $0.02. yes if I had the money at the time I would have bought the canam, but I am glad I didnt cause the honda is perfect for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM

If I had to purchase either a Can Am or a Polaris, it would be a tough choice. I much prefer the Can Am machines, but I resent Can Am for selling to the Americans for lower prices than to Canadians, even though our dollar is worth more. I expect that from an American based company, but not from a Company whose head office is in Canada.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have a 500 XT and it'll outwork and outpull other manufacturer's machines with bigger engines. I looked at a 650 before buying and I decided that I just didn't need that much power and torque. I use mine for hauling wood out of the bush on a trailer and pulling boat lifts out of the lake. A 500 has plenty of power to get the job done but you certainly wouldn't go wrong with buying a 650. An 800 is just crazy IMO.
800s are great!
Who dosnt want to wheelie their 750lbs quad!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
not trying to derail this thread, I wanted a Canam so bad but just couldnt get the dough, I bought a brand new Honda 420trxes for 6999 plus tax, now you could get two of them for the price of one canam, and let me tell you, there is not one place the 650-800 guys go I ride with that I was not there to. Sure it is a solid axle, sure its only 420, but it really is all you need. Ever here anyone say anything bad about a honda? Nope they run forevere and start everytime. Just my $0.02. yes if I had the money at the time I would have bought the canam, but I am glad I didnt cause the honda is perfect for me.
I used to think that way too. I bought my wife a used honda 350 four tracks pretty plane jane quad and yeah it can go alot of places but i have a few beefs with it (its a 2006). The suspension it right outta the 80's it is terrible her back hurts after a day of ridding. The brakes also outta the 80's nothing worse than the maintenece on drum brakes after a season in the skeg and muck its never ending to keep up on them. And the solid rear axle is a beast makes the machine very tippy my 650 outty on 28s is more solid than her stock 350 honda. just some things to think about. honda needs to come outta the stone age.

Matt
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I had to purchase either a Can Am or a Polaris, it would be a tough choice. I much prefer the Can Am machines, but I resent Can Am for selling to the Americans for lower prices than to Canadians, even though our dollar is worth more. I expect that from an American based company, but not from a Company whose head office is in Canada.
We bail them out with subsidies and such and they turn around and stiff us back with high prices. Went to buy one in the states and the dealerships there wouldn't sell to Canadians. Neat machine but not neat enough to buy from those overpriced crooks. Driven a 800 renegade and a 800 outlander and they both ride like a tank compared to the honda rincon.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Default can-am

bought my 800 xt at track side in olds paid 11,700 for it love the machine power steering is awsome and tonz of power if your gonna buy a can-am these are the guys to buy from lowest price in the province
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Elk and Traps hit the nail on the head as to why I can't stomach spending my money on a Can-Am. Too bad really, but Polaris has treated me and some friends well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
I run a 800 sportsman and like it. I heard can-ams had issues with overheating and the frames twisting. The can am issues I heard of were a few years ago. Both.are good machines if you maintain them. Just glad you didn't ask about a honda......great for hauling surveying sticks around.
I am a surveyor also.Every day that I work the quads are basically tortured.The swamps in Alberta's north dont lie.The Can-am is a very stable plush riding and a very capable machine.I ran tracks on it all winter in waist deep snow with no break downs or belt issues.It has 1300 km's on it.I also run a 2010 Honda 420.Honda doesnt build good machines any more.It has 700km on it.I have had the front wheel bearings an the complete charging system replaced twice now.Starting it this winter was next to impossible (Even with 0 weight oil). Boosting it with the Can-am was part of a frustrating regular daily task . Even the dealerships service manager at the Honda dealership has told me personally that Honda durability has really fallen off.
Remember the Honda 300 4X4? They have been gone a long time.But in my opinion that remains the toughest ATV in existence.Quality built ,air cooled and even a back up recoil /kick start when you battery is dead.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbercraftguy View Post
I am a surveyor also.Every day that I work the quads are basically tortured.The swamps in Alberta's north dont lie.The Can-am is a very stable plush riding and a very capable machine.I ran tracks on it all winter in waist deep snow with no break downs or belt issues.It has 1300 km's on it.I also run a 2010 Honda 420.Honda doesnt build good machines any more.It has 700km on it.I have had the front wheel bearings an the complete charging system replaced twice now.Starting it this winter was next to impossible (Even with 0 weight oil). Boosting it with the Can-am was part of a frustrating regular daily task . Even the dealerships service manager at the Honda dealership has told me personally that Honda durability has really fallen off.
Remember the Honda 300 4X4? They have been gone a long time.But in my opinion that remains the toughest ATV in existence.Quality built ,air cooled and even a back up recoil /kick start when you battery is dead.

I did remote electrical work with a honda 350 es. I might as well as hooked a pedal bike to the tub trailer. Couldn't leave 1st gear because the quad didn't have the power to spin the tires in 2 inches of mud. Which meant I had to winch every hill. I was working in the martin hills so that was a lot. The one guy had a 400 xt outlander and that thing could of pulled the honda and the tub trailer. Don't get me wrong hondas usually always start but power wise they couldn't pull underwear off a prostitute. Go for the bigger power because when you need it you will be enjoying it. I hook onto a moose or elk whole and the only thing I have to worry about is giving it road rash. Leave the hondas for checking fences.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 AM

Default Quads

I have a a 750 suzuki KingQuad AXI with power steering and it is the best quad i have driven the can ams are are nice quads also i just do not like that the Diff lock kicks in automatically and is not manual like my king i have never had any problem with it it has plenty of power and pulls wheelies like nothing on dry grown with 27" ITP Mud Lite XTR and goes threw mud and snow very well. The only problem i have experienced with can ams from people on quad trips with us is the Can Am renegades on 3 seperate occasions with 3 different machines was them going into limp home mode and only being able to crawl home very slowly. I am not sure of the cause but something to look into when spending the money on a new quad. I am not knocking can am from my experience both are good machines i just prefer some of the suzuki features better(Power Steering, Handle Bar mounted Head light, and manual Diff Lock) By the way power steering is extremely noticeable after using it and getting on another machine. Personally Polaris isnt even close to suzuki or ant other reputable brand. Both are aewsome machine (Can Am And Suzuki) But if you cant get suzuki go can am over polaris 10-1
Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Don't buy a new quad unless it has power steering!
Best innovation in quads in a long time!