Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Need a good deck covering!!

Hey all,

Just testing the waters to see if anyone has a good recommendation for a good covering for my flat deck/roof over top of my garage?? Water is leaking from above into my single car garage and I would like something right away.... Cost is not a huge issue either, I just want something that lasts so I can insulate the garage

Do they make a fully covered duradeck material for things such as this??

Any help would be awesome!!

Thanks

Barbwire
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM

We did my in-laws flat roof on their garage 2 yrs ago .First a new frame work of Lumber then plywood followed by the Vinyl !! Still working great and the leaks inside have stopped. The craziest part was how the vinyl bubbles with the glue reacting underneath...eventually it goes through its reaction,stops causing the gas bubbles and adheres completely flat !!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Hey I install vinyl decking. If your in the calgary area we would be more than happy to come quote your deck.
If your not in the area I can give you a ton of advice.
Pm me if interested.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM

I have a flat roof on my garage too. It is fenced around for a deck. What they did originally was tarred it (like a tar and gravel roof but no gravel) then laid 2x2's down, and then 1x6 cheap untreated lumber. We tore up the lumber and are going to refinish it.

Or what about that roll on garage floor sealer?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM

thats not really a deck, so dont do vinyl. you need to contact a roofing company and get them to install a flat roof for foot traffic. More than likely you will need a blue skin membrane built up roof/patio. just my two cents.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

trojan....

Oh..DECK covering....nevermind.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM

A peaked roof. Flat roof is going to give you trouble, eventually, no matter what you do and always expensive to repair. Now we just have to convince the architects of that.

Grizz
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Gone Hunting

Had a similar setup on the coast. Lots and lots of rain. Flat roof over garage.

I can't remember the name of this stuff, but it went down as fabric and then was covered with a resin. It worked great.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 AM

You have a flat roof situation, not a deck.

I'm going to upset a few of the vinyl guys here, but I strongly reccomend against the vinyl.

It will work if installed properly, but the heat seams can be tricky at upstands and at awkward joints. Also, they tend to puncture easy. (think BBQ fork). For clients I have that like the look of the vinyl decking and want it installed above occupied space, we provide a flat roof membrane on the roof sheathing. This can be liquid applied, hot mop, or a sheet goods roof. Then we installed sleepers, another layer of plywood, and then the vinyl decking. You have to be careful to allow for air flow between the two systems.

In other situations, we've installed the roofing membrane and went with a wood deck above.

I work with a ton of Vinyl decking on lots of projects, and it's a perfectly good product, but not in a roofing situation.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
Hey all,

Just testing the waters to see if anyone has a good recommendation for a good covering for my flat deck/roof over top of my garage?? Water is leaking from above into my single car garage and I would like something right away.... Cost is not a huge issue either, I just want something that lasts so I can insulate the garage

Do they make a fully covered duradeck material for things such as this??

Any help would be awesome!!

Thanks

Barbwire
I have a few questions first.

Is there any slope to the roof now? if so how much?

Is there any ponding anywhere o the roof?

What type of siding is on the house?

There are a couple different product out there that are for you roof application. There is a 80mil vinyl. And it is called cool step it is ment for a flat roof application. It does not get as hot a normal vinyl.

There is also a seamless polyurathane coating that gets rolled on i a 3 part application. First application is a primer coat. When the primer is just about dry you cast some sand on it to give it a non slip coating. Then the finish coat.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
You have a flat roof situation, not a deck.

I'm going to upset a few of the vinyl guys here, but I strongly reccomend against the vinyl.

It will work if installed properly, but the heat seams can be tricky at upstands and at awkward joints. Also, they tend to puncture easy. (think BBQ fork). For clients I have that like the look of the vinyl decking and want it installed above occupied space, we provide a flat roof membrane on the roof sheathing. This can be liquid applied, hot mop, or a sheet goods roof. Then we installed sleepers, another layer of plywood, and then the vinyl decking. You have to be careful to allow for air flow between the two systems.

In other situations, we've installed the roofing membrane and went with a wood deck above.

I work with a ton of Vinyl decking on lots of projects, and it's a perfectly good product, but not in a roofing situation.

I see at least three problems here. Lumber is not pressure treated, tar will degrade in sun and weather, no cant strip against house. Can't tell if membrane goes up the sides. Provision for a drain? We used to do them this way, when I first started, except we tarred the sleepers in as well. Wonder how many of those upscale houses in Parkland and Bonavista Estates haven't developed leaks over the years?

Grizz
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 PM

We've actually moved away from cant strips at the direction of some of our building envelope engineers. We still use them with some of the stiffer membranes like SBS though. In this case, we did a layer of waterproofing, then a layer of mesh (think like fibreglass - you can see it in the top picture around the perimeter of the wall to deck connection) and then another layer of waterproofing.

The roofing product we used was UV resistant (wasn't standard tar), and the pressure treated lumber reacts with the bitumin based roofing, so you can't use pressure treated lumber directly in contact with that type of roofing. Same with using EPDM roofing with pressure treated sleepers for rooftop equipment. It degrades the roofing chemically. When we used the wood decking, we screwed with no gap between planks. (upper planks were treated). When they shrink due to moisture we have about a 1/8" gap between each board, so very little direct sunlight gets through.

The whole 'deck' drains to a gutter on the edge, with the liquid applied waterproofing bonded to the flashing. Minimum 2% slope. I have the CAD details kicking around somewhere from this specific job, but can't post on the public forum.

Funny roofing story I dealt with recently on a highrise.

A lady bought a condo with a sizeable rooftop deck. It was an SBS roofing membrane underneath concrete patio pavers. She discovered the the styroam insulation and SBS membrane was ideal to stick her tiki torches into for evenings, and would lift up the pavers to get at the roofing.

$75K in repairs later to the suite below her and she finally fessed up... All the while we thought there was a problem with our system, till one of us noticed all these tiki torches laying beside her little table set.

As Bill Engvall would say.... "There's yer sign."
Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Phone Shell Busey. Its just that easy.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Phone Shell Busey. Its just that easy.
I've seen his video. He recommends Duradek. I've done the dukan roll on. pain in the ass to apply, but lasted 20 years, in a motel application.
Grizz
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM

The product I was suggesting is not the Ducan. THe product I was suggesting is from the commercial side of construction made for parkades. It is made by Sonnenborn. They are a sealant company.