Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Grohmann original, made in Canada, eh.
Havnt been tempted to use anything else since I got mine almost a decade ago. Just used it to quarter what must be its 5th moose a few days ago, besides the Grohman I use an axe to cut off the forlegs, ribs, and antlers. Only took a couple minuets to get it hair shaving sharp again once I got home.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
russel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Grohmann original, made in Canada, eh.
Yes and yes. Make sure to get the carbon steel.They are also offered in stainless.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Mora companion. Best 20$ you'll spend on a knife.
X2.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:18 AM

I have a Helle Utvær absolutely beautiful knife and silly sharp. 12C27 stainless steel with a scandi grind. The cost is a bit of a hard pill to swallow and definitely gives you pause to consider options. That said definitely a knife I will be passing down. You can also buy parts and blade blanks from Helle which I think is cool.

Will also add mora knives are an excellent cheep investment.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
I have a Helle Utvær absolutely beautiful knife and silly sharp. 12C27 stainless steel with a scandi grind. The cost is a bit of a hard pill to swallow and definitely gives you pause to consider options. That said definitely a knife I will be passing down. You can also buy parts and blade blanks from Helle which I think is cool.

Will also add mora knives are an excellent cheep investment.
I hear you, and agree.

Couple of years ago, I bought couple of Helle knife blanks: Utvaer and the Mandra. Built exotic wood handles for them, and sold them.

Excellent quality metal and supreme sharp. Highly recommended!

May get another blade and make one for myself.

I believe the actual Helle finished knives have a birch handle on them, which is OK but they are plain looking, in my opinion. Hence my decision to buy the knife blanks.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Yes and yes. Make sure to get the carbon steel.They are also offered in stainless.
I have and like the 105 better as I find it easier to handle but I like all Grohmann knives and love the fact that they are excellent tools and continue to be made in Canada.
(I also have a #2, #3 and a 104, but I get a chance to go to Pictou every once in a while and paw through the seconds bin. The flaws that make a knife go as a second are pretty hard to find and most of them look like my first quality knives after one season of use)
Old 10-10-2021, 04:54 PM

I'm using a $50 Spyderco Bow River. Sharp AF, still feelin the cut from last winter when I think about it.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
I have and like the 105 better as I find it easier to handle but I like all Grohmann knives and love the fact that they are excellent tools and continue to be made in Canada.
(I also have a #2, #3 and a 104, but I get a chance to go to Pictou every once in a while and paw through the seconds bin. The flaws that make a knife go as a second are pretty hard to find and most of them look like my first quality knives after one season of use)
Just curious if you've used the #1? Between myself, my family, and a few hunting partners I've had the opportunity to sample quite a few different Grohmann's... and in actuall use I've not used any model that can rival the #1 IMO.

All of them are good, quite a few models look alot more like a typical hunting knife, but only a few of them have that excelent feel to them that for me defines what a Gromann knife is about. None of the other models went through the same extensive test-and-modify developement than the #1 did, and IMO, when your turning an animal into meat it deffinately shows.

IMO, if you want something that looks cool then the world is full of knives that will work. If you want a knife where every odd little curve and angle was carefully thought out, tested, and perfected... IMO there is only the Canadian Belt Knife.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-11-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
#3 is my favourite. Handle fits my hand best.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
How are they for holding an edge?
Old 10-11-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
How are they for holding an edge?
I have 3, mine are all stainless... I can use the gutless method to quarter a moose or elk without needing to re-sharpen untill after the job, using only the knife for the whole process except for removing the ribs and antlers. I own a few stainless Buck knives, and none of them will do this job without needing a touchup partway through. Afterwards it takes only minimal effort to get the knife sharp enough to shave hair off my arm again

Obviously it will also handle dressing and skinning out a deer with no problem.

Hope that answeres your question.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item....%2Easp%3Fc%3D8

Best knife I have ever used, has all the attributes a hunter would need. Won't chop wood, but that what a camp knife is for. This will gut, skin, cape, and hold an edge. Easy to clean, and feels great in the hand. Holds a superior edge, and easy to maintain.

The spruce
X2. Best knife I've ever owner. Holds an edge very well. Super easy and quick to sharpen with a diamond credit card sized sharpener. Excellent warranty too. I dropped my first one and broke the tip. Sent it back and received a new one super fast.