Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2021, 12:09 PM

Unhappy Manitoba Hunter Killed by Tourist

Just a reminder to stay safe all. This man's family won't get to be around him anymore, and it would appear a German Tourist will be spending a lot more time here in Canada. Horrible.

#1 rule with firearms, identify your target and what is behind it.....

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/german-hunter-charged-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-manitoba-man-1.5616225

WINNIPEG - Manitoba RCMP have charged a German man with manslaughter in the death of a Manitoba man.
On Tuesday around 7:55 p.m., RCMP officers were called to a wooded area off Silver Bridge Road, south of Elma, Man., after a man was shot.

When Mounties got to the scene, they were told a 59-year-old man from Rosengart, Man., was pronounced dead.

Police investigated and allege the man was shot by a person hunting in the area.

On Wednesday, RCMP officers charged Carsten Aust, a 45-year-old German citizen, with manslaughter. He was taken into custody and was set to appear in court on Thursday in Winnipeg.

Police note that the suspect and victim were not known to each other, and were not hunting together at the time of the incident.

RCMP officers and the Manitoba Conservation Officer Service are investigating.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:15 PM

Such horrible news! My condolences to the family.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-08-2021, 12:16 PM

Terrible situation, condolences to the deceased person’s family and friends.
It’s a good reminder to use your bino’s to 100% identify your target before ever shouldering your firearm…..
Old 10-08-2021, 12:25 PM

A bowhunter in Colorado called in a muzzleloader and got shot last week also. Tragic for all parties involved.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-08-2021, 12:32 PM

This could be an unpopular option but…

I believe anyone hunting with a scoped rifle in the field should have to carry some sort of optic NOT attached to their firearm… bino, mono or spotting scope. This obviously won’t ensure people actually use them… but make it ticket-able to not have an optic not attached to a firearm on your person while hunting.

LC
Old 10-08-2021, 12:39 PM

I'm not sure when the victim was shot but if the time of 7:55 is correct, only thing that can help is a light. Sunset this time of year is just before 7:00 p.m.

Sad for both families and at least one will get to see his relatives again.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:00 PM

Sad to hear condolences to his family. but if he was a German non-resident he should have been Guided by an Outfitter guide and not be walking around in the bush if that was the case

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

I believe anyone hunting with a scoped rifle in the field should have to carry some sort of optic NOT attached to their firearm… bino, mono or spotting scope. This obviously won’t ensure people actually use them… but make it ticket-able to not have an optic not attached to a firearm on your person while hunting.

LC
I'm always shocked that people still use a rifle scope for glassing rather than a pair of binos.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:23 PM

Default Truly sad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Just a reminder to stay safe all. This man's family won't get to be around him anymore, and it would appear a German Tourist will be spending a lot more time here in Canada. Horrible.

#1 rule with firearms, identify your target and what is behind it.....

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/german-hunter-charged-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-manitoba-man-1.5616225

WINNIPEG - Manitoba RCMP have charged a German man with manslaughter in the death of a Manitoba man.
On Tuesday around 7:55 p.m., RCMP officers were called to a wooded area off Silver Bridge Road, south of Elma, Man., after a man was shot.

When Mounties got to the scene, they were told a 59-year-old man from Rosengart, Man., was pronounced dead.

Police investigated and allege the man was shot by a person hunting in the area.

On Wednesday, RCMP officers charged Carsten Aust, a 45-year-old German citizen, with manslaughter. He was taken into custody and was set to appear in court on Thursday in Winnipeg.

Police note that the suspect and victim were not known to each other, and were not hunting together at the time of the incident.

RCMP officers and the Manitoba Conservation Officer Service are investigating.
Truly sad to read my first thought any time I hear or read this type of sad news is were they wearing orange I know everyone has there own opinion about wearing orange to each there own but I believe it will save your life .
Old 10-08-2021, 01:28 PM

Very sad to hear. Condolences to the family of the deceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Sad to hear condolences to his family. but if he was a German non-resident he should have been Guided by an Outfitter guide and not be walking around in the bush if that was the case

Yes, that or a hunter host.

Surprising, since the German hunting community is very stringent on training and safety.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Very sad to hear. Condolences to the family of the deceased.

Yes, that or a hunter host.

Surprising, since the German hunting community is very stringent on training and safety.
Don't believe Manitoba has the hunter host program, they didn't when I lived in guided there.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Don't believe Manitoba has the hunter host program, they didn't when I lived in guided there.

Ah yes, I believe you are correct!
Old 10-08-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol1957 View Post
Truly sad to read my first thought any time I hear or read this type of sad news is were they wearing orange I know everyone has there own opinion about wearing orange to each there own but I believe it will save your life .
Alberta used to have a hunter orange requirement, but it was repealed. And since it was repealed, the number of accidental shootings didn't suddenly increase as some people predicted it would. So at least in Alberta, the color of your hunting clothes , doesn't appear to be a factor in whether you will be accidentally shot.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Alberta used to have a hunter orange requirement, but it was repealed. And since it was repealed, the number of accidental shootings didn't suddenly increase as some people predicted it would. So at least in Alberta, the color of your hunting clothes , doesn't appear to be a factor in whether you will be accidentally shot.
Yes already know this its old news but like i have said when >I hear or read this type of sad news were they wearing orange
Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:

LC
Generally speaking, I am opposed to most regulatory escalations; but, having been "Scoped" on several occasions in the field, this is something I would support!
Old 10-08-2021, 02:24 PM

Sad news. This happened in the Saddle Hills a few years back. Not sure if anyone got charged. And someone shot a person in a tree stand last year, they thought it was a cougar.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...grande-prairie
Old 10-08-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:

LC
Absolutely ridiculous, the most dangerous person depends on cheap optics and 99% of people would just buy cheap to satisfy the mandate and endanger more people. The best case scenario would be that they leave the inferior glass in their pack rather than use it to identify a target.

We don't need more rules. We need better training and stricter enforcement.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol1957 View Post
Yes already know this its old news but like i have said when >I hear or read this type of sad news were they wearing orange
So if someone drives a car off of a 1000foot cliff, do you wonder if they were wearing a seatbelt?

Only a complete moron shoots at something before verifying 100% what it is, and no laws will get rid of the morons.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Absolutely ridiculous, the most dangerous person depends on cheap optics and 99% of people would just buy cheap to satisfy the mandate and endanger more people. The best case scenario would be that they leave the inferior glass in their pack rather than use it to identify a target.

We don't need more rules. We need better training and stricter enforcement.
I do not think it’s absolutely ridiculous… I have been scoped during archery only season by not one but two First Nations folks hunting off quads.

I have been scoped when I was a kid dressed head to toe in orange… I watch the guy shoulder his rifle and look at me while I looked at him with binos…

While I hate more “rules” I don’t think this is a bad option.

LC
Old 10-08-2021, 09:24 PM

My condolences to the family.
What a horrible way for this guy to learn a lesson. Now it's too late to change something that was careless and completely avoidable.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Banned

Needed to read further
Old 10-08-2021, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty-canuck View Post
this could be an unpopular option but…

i believe anyone hunting with a scoped rifle in the field should have to carry some sort of optic not attached to their firearm… bino, mono or spotting scope. This obviously won’t ensure people actually use them… but make it ticket-able to not have an optic not attached to a firearm on your person while hunting.

Lc
100%
Old 10-08-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I'm always shocked that people still use a rifle scope for glassing rather than a pair of binos.
I've said it for a couple years now, As a US Citizen, I'm all for the 2nd Amendment and the right to own firearms, however spend 1 season as a Game Warden and the stuff you see people who have said firearms do scares the life out of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It would be interesting if someone did a study of hunting accidents in North America over the past 10-20-30 years and see what effect if any Hunter Orange/Pink has. We have a hunter orange requirement here in MT and the last hunting fatality I recall was 2018 and orange wouldn't have prevented it. 2 men walking side by side, one slipped and shot his hunting partner through the chest.

Condolences to the victims family, and the poor individual who committed the act. Needless waste of lives.

https://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2018/...-friend-video/
Old 10-08-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I've said it for a couple years now, As a US Citizen, I'm all for the 2nd Amendment and the right to own firearms, however spend 1 season as a Game Warden and the stuff you see people who have said firearms do scares the life out of you!

I can well imagine what you see in your line of work.
It's bad enough standing at a gun counter listening/watching on occasion
Old 10-08-2021, 11:28 PM

Default Tourist?.?

How does a tourist get a gun. I jump through all these hoops to have guns and a tourist can be my equal. Total bs. Good thing it was a white gun. Turdo.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:

LC
Agree 100 perecent bino's or stay home , The only season open i believe is bear.I live 30 miles away and hunt there the odd time not far from there, but later on in the season.

There's a good size fire burning in manitoba , I've been keeping the windows closed. Today the smoke was not good .

He should of had a guide if I'm correct????

Sad deal all around for the family who lost someone and that hunter ruined his own life also.

I won't comment on the careless part, there's few nut jobs who live out that way and not one person here knows what went down, until then it's just bad accident .

JD

Last edited by JD848; 10-09-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:07 AM

Had a guy scoping me over the hood of his truck. I had whites on AND an orange hat. I suspected what he was doing and glassed him.....scary , he was right on me. I stood up and leaned on a tree...behind a tree. The Dodge pick up come down the well road when i was back to my truck, waved the guy down and mentioned this incident.."Oh i was just looking the area over" I do not like un pleasant conversations when hunting but told him your pointing your !*^&%$) firearm at me, you do that again I will report you . He slowly buzzed up power window and said "yah right" and drove away.
My sincere condolences to the family of the man that lost his life...to a fool.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

All orange or yellow from midsection up and if your carrying a rifle with a scope attached you must have in your immediate possession optics as in bino’s etc.

This goes for any game season that is rifle or muzzleloader.

If it only saves one life then it was well worth it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-09-2021, 09:12 AM

Angry Condolences to the family of the deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
He should of had a guide if I'm correct????
According to the 2021 Manitoba Hunting Regulations, a Foreign Resident must purchase a big game hunting license from an outfitter and be accompanied by a licensed guide when hunting big game. (White Tail, Moose, Black Bear, & Caribou)
However, Foreign Residents can purchase an upland game bird and migratory game bird licenses over the counter and hunt without a guide.

Page 52 :
Quote:
Non-resident and Foreign Resident
Non-residents and foreign residents, hunting upland game birds, are not required to use the services of an outfitter or guide.
Page 54:
Quote:
Non-resident and Foreign Resident
Non-residents and foreign residents, hunting migratory game birds, do not require the services of an outfitter or guide. If you choose to use an outfitter, please ensure they are licensed to operate in Manitoba.
I'd like to know more details before insisting we need more laws to stop the lowest common denominators among us from doing what they do.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All orange or yellow from midsection up and if your carrying a rifle with a scope attached you must have in your immediate possession optics as in bino’s etc.

This goes for any game season that is rifle or muzzleloader.

If it only saves one life then it was well worth it.
The one life argument is the one the anti firearms crowd loves to use, to try and ban all firearms, and of course if there were no firearms, there would be be no shooting fatalities. But then again, if nobody smoked , there would be over 40,000 less deaths in Canada every year, if nobody drank alcohol, there would be no deaths due to impaired driving. The fact is, there are risks in life, and many are due to things that are legal. I personally know two people that were involved in accidental shootings, because the person wearing orange was mistaken for a game animal. I know of another instance where two people dressed in orange and riding a red atv were mistaken for a moose , and shot dead. My hunting partners were wearing orange when some idiot scoped them. The fact is that more regulations won't eliminate stupidity, I have even heard an idiot state that that if someone is not wearing orange, and gets shot, it's their fault. The fact is that idiots walk among us, and even if you make them carry binoculars, some peoole won't use them, they will just buy the smallest cheapest pair available, and carry them to be legal. As far as clothing color goes, Alberta didn't experience a sudden increase in accidental shootings when the color requirements were dropped, further proof that it is stupidity, and not color that causes accidental shootings.