Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 03:57 PM

Default Grizzly encounter and injury west of Bob Creek

This area is now closed to hunting and people until they find the bear that was shot at. I wonder what it was shot with.

I see yesterday Sept 26 a grouse hunter encountered a grizzly near Bob Creek, north of Blairmore. This was posted by a F&W group on facebook. It doesn't tell the whole story so it is just a heads up to the outdoorsmen and women to be alert.

And I quote:

" On September 26, at approximately 8pm, Blairmore RCMP received a call about a hunter who had been attacked by a bear. The hunter was grouse hunting with another person when they encountered what is believed to be a grizzly bear sow and cubs. The sow bear made contact and injured one of the hunters, while the other was able to shoot the bear. The bear ran off, and the hunter who was not injured was able to call for help. The victim is in the hospital, but officers have been told he is currently in stable condition. We wish the victim well in recovery.
Fish and wildlife officers are currently conducting a thorough scene investigation to locate the bear involved in the attack and determine what actions need to be taken. An area closure is in effect (approximate location of the area below). The closure is clearly marked, and we are asking the public not to enter the area. An updated map that shows the boundaries of the area closure will be posted as soon as it is available. "

Be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map griz.jpg (36.7 KB, 442 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-27-2021, 04:09 PM

grouse hunting his buddy most likely shot it with bird shot. bear will be fine. a bit sore but fine.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:24 PM

The pin on the map looks like Dutch?
Old 09-27-2021, 04:25 PM

It’s getting bad when grizzlies actually have more rights than humans. On one hand if it saves just one life the government wants to ban guns. On the other if it would save just one life I think a ATC and a big handgun would have helped in a scenario like this.

I think hunters with all the grizzly sightings may need to start addressing the problem.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:32 PM

Default bears

Have been out sheep hunting 4 day hikes 10 different bears! There is no shortage of bears here! it will only be a matter of time until someone is killed AGAIN!
Old 09-27-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
grouse hunting his buddy most likely shot it with bird shot. bear will be fine. a bit sore but fine.

Like the bear John Candy shot in the arse?
Old 09-27-2021, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
The pin on the map looks like Dutch?
The pin is certainly nowhere near Bob Creek.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
Have been out sheep hunting 4 day hikes 10 different bears! There is no shortage of bears here! it will only be a matter of time until someone is killed AGAIN!

What bears and where.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Unless he got it in the face, could be a very unhappy bear.

Grizz
Old 09-27-2021, 05:04 PM

Default and dangerous

Quote:
If only there was some common sense in this country, that grouse hunter might have had a side arm and we wouldn't be looking for a ****ed off bear but instead following a blood trail to a dead, aggressive, and dangerous bear.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
If only there was some common sense in this country, that grouse hunter might have had a side arm and we wouldn't be looking for a ****ed off bear but instead following a blood trail to a dead, aggressive, and dangerous bear.
there wouldve been a dead wolf had we been able to carry.

Wilderness ATC should be a thing at minimum
Old 09-27-2021, 05:51 PM

I responded to this on the Alberta Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Facebook page. I asked where we were at w/ Alberta CFO on ATCs given C-21 was dead & unlikely to be replaced for a couple years thanks to Trudeau's attempted power grab. The admin Neil took exception to this. He said I was "blaming" Trudeau which of course I responded saying I don't blame Trudeau for being a demagogue dividing Canadians for crass political gain anymore than I blame a grizzly sow for protecting their cubs. Somehow that was worth a banning. I guess at least some of what people say about the people in BHA is true...
Old 09-27-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
As far as I understand, it is currently the provincial CFO who determines who can get an ATC.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
interesting a bear was found dead in the PG area and said looks like died from a single pellet in the lungs, although may be from a air rifle.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:28 PM

Anytime i am bird hunting, my 20 gauge has a 385gr slug in the pipe. when i see a bird, i change it out to shot. It doesn't take long to do and have never had a bird get away from taking that extra couple seconds.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 09-27-2021, 07:40 PM

Default that's why

I carry Brennekes
Old 09-27-2021, 07:47 PM

Doesn’t it depend on range? Birdshot at very close ranges can be deadly. In fact I seem to remember a post on here a few years ago where a couple of waterfowlers killed a large grizz in Alaska with their goose shot at close range (let’s assume steel BB).
Old 09-27-2021, 08:00 PM

I think this was it:

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article...ck/2011/10/18/

#4 steel birdshot…

Hopefully the bear, if tracked, is not wounded and ornery…
Old 09-27-2021, 11:16 PM

At close range birdshot performs as a slug.
Shoot a pumpkin at 10 feet and see.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
At close range birdshot performs as a slug.
Shoot a pumpkin at 10 feet and see.
Yup. Assuming that a bear “will be fine” after getting blasted with a shotgun is somewhat Naive.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:54 AM

Start carrying the 45 70 over the shoulder and splitting skulls. Hope the hunter a speedy recovery!
Old 09-28-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Yup. Assuming that a bear “will be fine” after getting blasted with a shotgun is somewhat Naive.
I will take a shotgun with bird shot at close range over a handgun any time.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
I responded to this on the Alberta Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Facebook page. I asked where we were at w/ Alberta CFO on ATCs given C-21 was dead & unlikely to be replaced for a couple years thanks to Trudeau's attempted power grab. The admin Neil took exception to this. He said I was "blaming" Trudeau which of course I responded saying I don't blame Trudeau for being a demagogue dividing Canadians for crass political gain anymore than I blame a grizzly sow for protecting their cubs. Somehow that was worth a banning. I guess at least some of what people say about the people in BHA is true...
I trust BHA for my interest just as much as I trust Y2Y
Old 09-28-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Yep, sounds like BHA.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Early day prospectors/trappers carried shotguns with regular bird shot for protection from bears. At close range thats all they needed.
It did not matter if bear died on the spot, it never attached another man.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:47 AM

Now there was another bear encounter on the McLeod river near Edson. That area has been closed too. A fisherman was being followed by a grizz.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-28-2021, 03:50 PM

Default Park service used to be big on slugs.

Slug debate comes up every time a grizzy bear attack hits the news cycle-This stories worth repeating because hardly anybody searches AOs archives in 2021.

Six man crew mainly Banff Park wardens and Conservation Officers in 1980 fanned out 15 yards from the foot snared “Whiskey Creek Mauler” who lunged to the end of his cable closing the gap down to 3yds (10 feet).

Volleys from 12 gauge 8mm buck followed by solid slugs bowled the 761 pound bruin back over into his ambush pit serving only to make it angrier then roaring/coming back up for more.

Lance Cooper called off the shotties and finished the bear with his 270, necropsy revealed the buck and slugs penetrated through the hide but not past the 4’ layer of fat.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-28-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Slug debate comes up every time a grizzy bear attack hits the news cycle-This stories worth repeating because hardly anybody searches AOs archives in 2021.

Six man crew mainly Banff Park wardens and Conservation Officers in 1980 fanned out 15 yards from the foot snared “Whiskey Creek Mauler” who lunged to the end of his cable closing the gap down to 3yds (10 feet).

Volleys from 12 gauge 8mm buck followed by solid slugs bowled the 761 pound bruin back over into his ambush pit serving only to make it angrier then roaring/coming back up for more.

Lance Cooper called off the shotties and finished the bear with his 270, necropsy revealed the buck and slugs penetrated through the hide but not past the 4’ layer of fat.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No sure why they would be shooting at a bears body in this situation. Any shotgun load at that range between the ears will more than adequate.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post

Creeky....

Dang, that's a fat bear
Old 09-28-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Dang, that's a fat bear

4"-note to self-clean computer screen lol.

Creeky.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology