Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
Looks like an interesting science project but the data was collected back in April.
It's amazing that we look at a study that is 2 months old and think "way back in April". LOL !!!
That fact is only a small percentage of the population has been exposed so far. People took a lot of precautions and the spread was controlled. Areas that have spikes are the ones that drop the precautions while there is still virus in the area.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
According to worldometer, Spain has tested 12% of its population. So, that leaves about 41 million people that could or could not have been exposed. Given that most people don’t get tested even when symptomatic, that leaves a huge margin for error in the tally of exposures.
Spain may have tested 12 % of its population, but most of those were negative. They also understand that many that go to get tested are far more likely to have been possibly exposed (hence a larger positivity rate) than if you take a true random sampling of the entire country.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
It's amazing that we look at a study that is 2 months old and think "way back in April". LOL !!!
It was literally 3-4 months ago
Old 07-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Spain may have tested 12 % of its population, but most of those were negative. They also understand that many that go to get tested are far more likely to have been possibly exposed (hence a larger positivity rate) than if you take a true random sampling of the entire country.
The standard protocol is: stay home. Don’t get tested. If you get really sick, phone the hospital, but stay home. If you really feel adventurous, go get tested.

I was exposed back in late February. Contacted by Health BC and told to stay home for 14 days, but 13 days had already passed. I was mildly sick for 3 days. Meanwhile how many people did I expose in those 13 days? I wasn’t taking any precautions nor was anybody around me because we were told by the media that Covid-19 was not a threat here yet.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The standard protocol is: stay home. Don’t get tested. If you get really sick, phone the hospital, but stay home. If you really feel adventurous, go get tested.

I was exposed back in late February. Contacted by Health BC and told to stay home for 14 days, but 13 days had already passed. I was mildly sick for 3 days. Meanwhile how many people did I expose in those 13 days? I wasn’t taking any precautions nor was anybody around me because we were told by the media that Covid-19 was not a threat here yet.
That is all they could do at that time. There was not nearly enough capacity in any of the medical system. One of the biggest goals is to develop rapid testing (think hours or minutes, not days or weeks). Go in, get a finger *****, and get your result before you can leave. Until that occurs, a patient must be considered infectious until proven otherwise.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 AM

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...ies-in-coming-

A similar study in the United States that looked at samples from blood banks and collected in labs for other tests found the number of Americans infected with the coronavirus is 10 times higher than thought, about 23 million people. That’s about 5-to-8 per cent of the population, but still means over 90 per cent is still susceptible, the head of the CDC announced Thursday.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
That is all they could do at that time. There was not nearly enough capacity in any of the medical system. One of the biggest goals is to develop rapid testing (think hours or minutes, not days or weeks). Go in, get a finger *****, and get your result before you can leave. Until that occurs, a patient must be considered infectious until proven otherwise.
Exactly. Other half was off for 4 months with Covid like symptoms and she tested twice and both times came up negative for Covid. But the wait for the results was lengthy. 11 days first time, 9 days second time.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So, back to my original point- Way more people have been exposed or infected, than what is indicative in current statistics. Thus, it is safe to assume that many, many more of us will be exposed in the near future.

Luckily for us, our federal, provincial governments and healthcare administrators have had ample time to prepare for this impending reality so there is nothing to worry about!
Old 07-19-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...ies-in-coming-

A similar study in the United States that looked at samples from blood banks and collected in labs for other tests found the number of Americans infected with the coronavirus is 10 times higher than thought, about 23 million people. That’s about 5-to-8 per cent of the population, but still means over 90 per cent is still susceptible, the head of the CDC announced Thursday.
So as bad as the infections currently are in the US, they still have well over 90% of their population that hasn't been exposed. They have a lot of potential infections to go unless they change their behavior.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:39 AM

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mat...-51d7e23a25c7/

The corona has been doing laps around the globe since November, 2019.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
So, back to my original point- Way more people have been exposed or infected, than what is indicative in current statistics. Thus, it is safe to assume that many, many more of us will be exposed in the near future.

Luckily for us, our federal, provincial governments and healthcare administrators have had ample time to prepare for this impending reality so there is nothing to worry about!
There is plenty to worry about. The time period that we have had this virus is also the time period that we have been isolating. If we stop doing that there will be very predictable infection spread. See what has happened when bars are opened down south?
Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Nope... I was very direct with my question Chuck. You posted a graph .... the thread is there.. it’s plain to see what I asked:

Who are the liars exactly?

What is their motivation..?

You have not done so.

You just avoided the thread and went dark

You LOVE to just sit and do drive by slights at people here....

Old 07-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
So as bad as the infections currently are in the US, they still have well over 90% of their population that hasn't been exposed. They have a lot of potential infections to go unless they change their behavior.
Or looked at another way. Things have been completely blown out of proportion.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-19-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Oh look, someone else who calls me names from the anonymity of their keyboard.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-19-2020, 11:53 AM

And the massive irony continues.....

As does the lacking answer sir.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-19-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
So: Sars-Cov-2 isn’t all that new, but merely a seasonal cold virus that mutated and disappears in summer, as all cold viruses do —

So why are they seeing huge infection rate increases in Texas, Florida and Arizona during the month of July?

Also the discounting of the asymptomatic carriers concept is absurd. We don’t have hard proof with this virus but we’ve known it happens with some diseases for 200 years.
Fun fact: recent research points that the asymptomatic people might not be completely asymptomatic as 21% of asymptomatic patients in a study, from the UK I believe, had a skin rash develop prior to developing other symptoms. Scientists and doctors are now in the process of determining if a rash should be added to the list of common symptoms.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Some one cut me off one day, I was ok but the guy behind me layed his bike down and slid down the shoulder. First guy drove on his way, none the wiser of the scene he left behind, or didn’t care.

You can look any way you want, but your actions may affect others around you.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Oh Chucks back with a massively ironic statement about bullying.

You gonna answer my questions yet...? Or just insult me more via pm then avoid and dodge again...?

Piker... yup.. lots of human panic and mistakes.... I don’t think we’ll go into lockdown again. Scientific community is just as human as we are... and the media sure loves to sell a story... which leads us to our present situation....
I think we’ll be in a better place in one to two months...

Unless ‘they’ get us.... the liars and fiends that Chucks gonna finger for us.

..... isn’t anyone lil suspicious os an article by an investment firm...?
You are 100% right here ...

People post articles and pass the off as "evidence" from all sorts of trash rag articles and publications when one simple google search exposes that source as anything but credible or unbiased.

It's unbelievable to me how many people soak this kind of BS without doing their own self a favor and saving their own credibility and reputation before posting complete garbage like this making themselves look like complete ........ never mind.

Just another day on AO

***my comments are not related to anyone in particular or anyone aforementioned in the quoted post - just a general observation.

Last edited by EZM; 07-19-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Why did I know that you would look at it that way. Science was a very tough slog for you wasn't it?
Old 07-19-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Some one cut me off one day, I was ok but the guy behind me layed his bike down and slid down the shoulder. First guy drove on his way, none the wiser of the scene he left behind, or didn’t care.

What a perfect analogy.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post

And so will yours.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-19-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
And so will yours.
Currently in the news is a neonate in St Pauls NICU with covid. Due to the stress associated with having a child in the unit, families were not being forced to wear face masks, unlike all other areas of the hospital. They were highly encouraged to, but not forced. Someone unknowingly was infected and brought the virus into the unit and the baby caught it. Somehow the mom and dad are not encouraged even with the news that most babies won't die. The new rules are "no mask, no entry" even if it infringes on their rights.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Banned

CDC: Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 8.1% during week 27 to 6.4% during week 28, representing the 12th week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC.

Johns Hopkins: The 7-day rolling death rate declined to 0.98 on July 6, lowest point since 1.38 March 16 (farthest back my data goes), increased slightly to 1.2 on July 11, and has slowly decreased to 1.14 as of yesterday (today's incomplete data shows 1.13).

Orlando Health has reported that their positivity rate was incorrectly stated as 98%, when it is actually 9.4%...

San Antonio added 5501 cases on Thursday, of which only 691 were "new" cases. The remainder were due to a reporting backlog and created a false spike...

NY Post says that CDC has admitted they had contaminated labs that led to large numbers of false positives...

Miami-Dade, the "worst-hit" Florida county, saw a weekly ICU bed use increase of 130, or 2.5% of their ICU beds...

So, what is it for which I am supposed to be so terrified, and why?
Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Currently in the news is a neonate in St Pauls NICU with covid. Due to the stress associated with having a child in the unit, families were not being forced to wear face masks, unlike all other areas of the hospital. They were highly encouraged to, but not forced. Someone unknowingly was infected and brought the virus into the unit and the baby caught it. Somehow the mom and dad are not encouraged even with the news that most babies won't die. The new rules are "no mask, no entry" even if it infringes on their rights.
I'm getting tired of hearing people complain and whine about "their rights" and "freedoms of choice" being infringed upon. This selfish perspective endangers others and it is not their right to endanger others for their own selfishness.

It is ludicrous that some people don't want to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask in situation where social distancing isn't possible. How much of a big deal is that?

If a facility say "wear a mask" and you don't like it, then take a hike and go elsewhere.

If you want to shop (or go) there, then wear a mask. How hard is that? How much of your rights and liberties does that really destroy compared to infecting and killing someone else because you are selfish and unreasonable.
Closed Thread