Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
... You also included the medical field in that declaration, which made the statement false...
winged1,

I was wondering if you would be able to expand on that? How does them including the medical field make the statement false?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
What is with the folks fear mongering that Dr. Assisted suicide will be used for people who have a bad day or don't like their birth mark. Dr. Assisted suicide is for terminal patients in pain without hope of recovery.
As winged1 said, it's the easy way to argue points and go after the emotional context.

To be fair, people on both sides of the debate have been fear mongering.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Be honest, it's a virtue. You also included the medical field in that declaration, which made the statement false. Your concern isn't based on today's facts, but on some future speculation. You rub people by implying a group is naturally evil and are destined to take advantage of others. Politics is a field persued by many people who are intelligent, caring, and feal they can bring positive change. You are encumbent to participate in that process to contribute to its success.

Why is it that you set the stage, but criticize the play.
What on earth are you talking about?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
do not use your personal belief system to interfere in the choices of others.
Everyone needs to read these words, and clearly understand them. Stop inflicting your beliefs on others - you don't have that right!

For the ones against - if i'm getting a life threatening surgery, one that could make greatly reduce quality of life... Is it OK for me to sign a DNR? (Do Not Resuscitate) Is that not my choice?

Is it classified as suicide when a person terminal with cancer refuses treatment?
Is it classified as suicide when patients refuse to eat or drink because they want to end pain and suffering?

Could you honestly try to force a loved one to extend their pain and suffering - even tho you couldn't possibly put yourself in their shoes - just so you can have them around longer? How selfish is that?

Sneeze, for you specifically - if you suffer a massive stroke that's going to leave you sitting in a chair drooling over yourself and unable to to even wipe your own arse for 10 or 20 years - would you still carry the same belief? There is something called quality of life - and I would want to end it.

My grandmother died that way, 93 years old - rotting away in a nursing home bed for the last 3 years of her life. Didn't know she was in the world, had to be fed through a tube - someone having to care for her day and night. Could you possibly imagine that life?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:03 AM

How can the pro choice side fear monger in this instance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
As winged1 said, it's the easy way to argue points and go after the emotional context.

To be fair, people on both sides of the debate have been fear mongering.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 03-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
Quote:
As for the role of religion in this discussion, even though you may feel it has no role, it does. Kind of like ignoring that oxygen is real even though you can't see it. Canada's legal and medical systems were founded with a Judeo-Christian worldview that placed the highest value possible on life.
Quote:
Whether or not there is a God is neither here nor there. What is salient is that over 67% of Canadians self identified as Christian on the 2011 census.
I'm talking about a group with assumed rights, imposing their beliefs on another.

Quote:
I am really not all that concerned whether we hasten the death of a loved one who is suffering with a diagnosis that is terminal. What I am worried about is where the slippery slope will end. Mentally ill? Physically handicapped? Cognitively delayed? I have always felt that this would become a reality in Canada as our demographics become largely tilted toward a greying population. Healthcare costs will invariably dictate policy, human life will be equated in dollars and cents, and as we know, gov't doesn't always get policy right. At least upon that we can agree.
And then manifesting speculatives to advance their beliefs.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Most have you have completely lost your minds and morals.

Human life is the most precious thing in the universe and it should be fought for, tooth and bloody nail until the bitter end.

Just because its inconvenient or painful doesn't mean it should be ended. Life doesn't always fit yours (or my) definition of perfection. Pain is life. Give me death long and slow or make it quick, it doesn't matter. I would take 80 years of agony for just a glimpse of how great the world is.

They will not be ending me easily. Individuals can choose, fine indeed - curious though how AO's typical leftists are now over a sudden all about the individual and their rights.

Steve Earl had a great quote, not about the same subject but I see a similarity.

"Could you take that long walk with me
Knowing hell is waitin' there
Could you pull that switch yourself sir?"

Nope, its easier to sit at home and tell yourself its the best decision while a Dr. sends your loved ones to Never-Never land with what you tell yourself is a painless, quiet, uninvolved death. Shoot me in the face when my time comes and keep your eyes open when you do it.(if you can) Then head home and tell the internet how progressive you are.
So I'm guessing you've never sat with a love one and been asked to end it for them. Day after day. Week after week. Month after month. I've seen and if I'm being honest written a lot of selfish crap on this site but rarely anything like this. I watched my mother suffer for a year. Who are you to tell her that she can't decide to end it.

After this holy rolling rant I'm assuming you're housing refugees and fighting over seas in Syria or Afghanistan to keep people alive. I mean if you're willing to take a stance like this over a terminal patient in pain asking for death. I'm guessing you're fighting tooth and nail to keep kids alive.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about a group with assumed rights, imposing their beliefs on another.

... And then manifesting speculatives to advance their beliefs.
winged1,

this is exactly what you are doing and the 'unreligious' are doing here. Anyone that is atheistic in their position, arguing against the 'religious' is promoting their own belief system.

Every individual has a belief system, with or without any faith component. It's the matrix of who you are. It's your world view, it's your morals, ethics and values, it's your history and it's your past. It's who we all are.

To others, saying "religion has no place in this conversation" is ridiculous. A person can no more remove it from their perspective on this topic than a doctor or politician can remove it from who they are. It's a one sided bullying tactic because atheists argue they have the right to 'freedom from religion'.

Regardless of peoples individual's perspectives, atheism is still a belief system.

And for the record once again, I am 100% in support an individuals right to choose P.A.D and I support this legislation. Even with my faith background.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
winged1,
atheism is still a belief system.
Eh? I'm an open atheist. Atheism is defined as lack of belief - so how is it a belief system? Atheism is not a religion - I believe in one less god than you do.

I get what you're saying - I was raised Catholic, although I was never a very good one. Suicide is a sin.

Why should religion and your belief system come into play when dealing with my personal choices? It's none of your business.

Why should you have any say in what I do? Now or in the future?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:34 PM

And with that, our thread has seemed to have run it's course. Many have stated their thoughts on a complicated issue for which I thank you. All have learned. However, as I repeatedly asked, I did not want this to be an theist vs Christian debate which is pointless. No one was ever argued over to either side, and that was not the point. I'm sure those who feel the need can take their thoughts to pm.

Mods, please close thread.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:46 PM

on that note, op requested closed
Closed Thread