Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Default what did you guys do with your first rifle?

A little back story, i come from a non hunting family, i started hunting at 18 with my cousin and my uncle, at that time i didn't know jack about anything only that i had gone out a couple times with them and that I wanted to start hunting myself.....so i got licensed up and bought my first rifle, a Rem 700 SPS DM in 300 win mag with a leupold vx2 3-9, i used that rifle for a few years and took my first deer with it and my best deer to date with it, but here I am 12 years later, haven't shot that rifle in probably 8 years, put it in a boyds laminate and swapped the vx2 for a fx3 6x, and put it in the gun safe.....I know its not worth alot to sell but im just wondering what you guys did with your first rifle? keep it due to some sentimental reasons? get rid of it? maybe regret getting rid of it? I might take it out again someday so there is always that but its no good to start my kids on and with two full customs and a kimber mountain ascent in the safe the odds of it being my first choice are zero,
Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Gone Hunting

My first rifle in Poland was CZ 600 in 30-06 with factory 4X Zeiss scope.
I've sold it before immigrating to Canada in 1987.
( I had to hunt with a shotgun for three years before I was able to take "Selectioner course" that was the condition for ownership of the rifle.)

My first gun in Canada was Winchester Lever action in 30-30. My Oldest Son got his first 4x4 atypical Whitetail scoring 144 points with this rifle at age of 12.

He got this rifle in his safe, yesterday took his Whitetail to his house, so can be Teaser for Grandchildren.

I've kept nice Remington in 243 Win for grandkids for their first Deer.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 PM

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22.

A nice AO member gave me a scope for it for free.

I put it in a Boyd’s laminate stock and put a new trigger spring in it. It’s still in my safe.

I have never sold a rifle, only bought.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:34 PM

I'm 52 this year. I still hunt with the Savage 308 lever my dad gave me on my 16th bday. It came from his step brother who hunted with it for many years so it's been around a while. It is the only rifle I have. I have thought of getting a bigger caliber but this one just shoots so nice and is light to carry.

My son got his first big game animal with it too, a 54 inch moose. This rifle has a ton of memories made with it now.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:45 PM

My first rifle I got it when I was (12) is now in the possession of a good friend's wife who is very tiny- she was looking for an accurate rifle, and my friend is a mechanic and traded me a pile of work on my truck for it.
Cat
Old 09-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Marlin 336 in 30/30.
Sold it because, well, you know, ID ten T

There are no absolutes
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 PM

My first rifle is in the gun cabinet, a .303 enfield jungle carbine that's shot out.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:20 PM

My first rifle was a semi auto 30 06 Remington model 7600. At least I think maybe it was a 7400. Think that’s the pump version. Anyways it was a one shot gun. Would not group to save my life. But first shot was always fine. I got fed up with the lack of it’s ability to group and traded it in for a browning medallion Abolt in 7mm rem mad. What a relief to have a rifle that could group. The only good thing about the Remington was that someone liked it the first time they saw it.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:53 PM

I bought a BSA bolt action 30-06 with a 4x bushnell for $100 from some guys I worked with when I was 16 so I could go out deer hunting with them. Kept it, had a gun smith buddy clean it up and fix the stock, got a new 3x9 scope on it, and still use it regularly.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:33 PM

Sako A3 in 300 win mag, still my go to for elk. Absolutely love the old girl...
Old 10-02-2019, 05:14 AM

My first would of been a single shot (cooey?) ranger .22 that my grandfather gave me. It’s still in my safe even though it hasn’t been shot in about 20 years.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:00 AM

My first big game rifle I bought when I was 18, a brand new Remington 7600 in .243 and I’ve loved it ever since. Great rifle and I’ll never get rid of it, shot it a few years with iron sights. Wears a leupold vx freedom 1.5-4x20 and I love that scope, it’s in leupold quick release rings. So I can still use the iron sights.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
My first would of been a single shot (cooey?) ranger .22 that my grandfather gave me. It’s still in my safe even though it hasn’t been shot in about 20 years.
There is a beautiful long weekend coming up! I bet it can still outshoot you!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:52 AM

My first big game rifle that I bought was a Remington 788 in 308 if I remember, sold all my guns after my first divorce never again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
My first big game rifle that I bought was a Remington 788 in 308 if I remember, sold all my guns after my first divorce never again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
How many times you been divorced? You keeping the lawyers in business???
Old 10-11-2019, 06:59 AM

Winchester '94 30-30. Bought at McCloed's (Not sure if I spelled that right, pre-dates the internet.) Think I paid something like $188.97. Now they're about $1300. How things have changed. Sold it after 1 or 2 seasons to buy a beautiful Winchester 70 XTR in 300 WM. Wish I still had them both. Nowdays I only buy guns, never sell.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:50 AM

My first rifle is still sitting in my gun cabinet. Winchester Model 670a. In a .243win.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:09 PM

T0Z-17. Still have it and the original magazine, apparently the mags are hard to come by.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Model 760 remington in .270 pump. Shot a lot of deer with that gun in early days now in just sits in my safe.Probly never sell it, dont think worth much for someone else but i have a lot of memories in that gun so will always have a place in my safe for it.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Winchester model 70 30-06, my dad gave it to me when I was 14, still have and it still shoots great.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Win pre 64 1804 in 30-30

My dad sold out from under me to one of his “buddies” in a drunken moment. Never saw it again. Said some things I shouldn’t have and regret to this day. Learned many lessons from that. People make mistakes and people > things.

The first one I bought for myself is still in my safe and will be handed down when I’m too old to wield it. Cz550 lux in 3006. Mostly as it was, sweet scope and a classy leather sling.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D View Post
Model 760 remington in .270 pump. Shot a lot of deer with that gun in early days now in just sits in my safe.Probly never sell it, dont think worth much for someone else but i have a lot of memories in that gun so will always have a place in my safe for it.
I Had the 7600 in a 270 as my first gun. always was very good to me as a gun, still have it in my safe and will never sell it. It is in nicer shape than my new way more expensive gun. Why ? I do not know. probably because then it was worth as much as my truck. Now , not so much. LOL
Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 PM

First gun I bought Marlin 39M, K-Mart in Calgary. Sold my 4-H calf, cleared enough for it & a brick of shells. First rifle cheap beat-up used Midland '06, cleaned 'er up, ex-wife redid the stock, dozens of game taken, open sights, didn't want to invest in a scope. Should sell it......or give it to a kid, I guess.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-15-2019, 07:47 AM

My first real rifle (not including the beat up old pellet gun) was my grandfathers model 88 Winchester in .308. Serial number puts the manufacture date in 1958. That old rifle has seen a lot of use and wear and tear, so a few years back I stripped it down, re-cut the checkering and gave it a nice oil finish, and re-blued it. Before I put the scope base and scope back on I took it out to the range. I had never tried the iron sights out so I put a target up at 50 yards. 3 shots in a 1" group about 2" above dead center. Was blown away by that as I don't think the iron sights had ever been used. I'm pretty sure the old K4 Weaver and base were on there from the very beginning.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
A little back story, i come from a non hunting family, i started hunting at 18 with my cousin and my uncle, at that time i didn't know jack about anything only that i had gone out a couple times with them and that I wanted to start hunting myself.....so i got licensed up and bought my first rifle, a Rem 700 SPS DM in 300 win mag with a leupold vx2 3-9, i used that rifle for a few years and took my first deer with it and my best deer to date with it, but here I am 12 years later, haven't shot that rifle in probably 8 years, put it in a boyds laminate and swapped the vx2 for a fx3 6x, and put it in the gun safe.....I know its not worth alot to sell but im just wondering what you guys did with your first rifle? keep it due to some sentimental reasons? get rid of it? maybe regret getting rid of it? I might take it out again someday so there is always that but its no good to start my kids on and with two full customs and a kimber mountain ascent in the safe the odds of it being my first choice are zero,
On contrary to you it took me almost 40 years to get the rifle I shot first time ...
Well I was 7 year old when I first got lucky to shoot real rifle ... it was toz12.
Not exactly the same rifle and probably it wasn’t heavy barreled one I have now.. but it will be history for grandkids - how I evolved from 22 to 338 and from private to officer... in the Navy
Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 PM

Well, after many years my first rifle got back in the field...my brother has my old 308 but with a bull moose tag this year he figured he might like to use the 300 win mag...I think mostly cause he hasn't figured out that these critters aren't bullet proof yet Haha anyways glad it got out again and that he was successful in his hunt

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Banned

My first rifle ( shot gun actually ) got confiscated by the security police in my old country, when I was turned in by a friend for having a firearm.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Other than my BB gun, my first gun was a Winchester 64b. I bought it for about $70 from my Grade eight science and math teacher, he gave me and a classmate a ride home and sold us his guns.
This was early nineties.
Still have it, it’s actually my only .22 rimfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Default My First Rifles

My very first true rifle was a family heirloom. My great grandfather and family had immigrated from Belgium to Saskatchewan. Some where along the way he obtained a Winchester 1904 single shot .22. Whether the stock was broken before or after he got the little rifle, I will never know. What I do know is that he carved a new stock. He was a cabinet maker by trade, remember the old grand lobby desks in hotels and the teller's booth in the banks and the old wooden counters and mail boxes in the post offices, those were his specialty. Well he passed that rifle onto my father when he turned 13. My father passed it onto me when I turned 13. I was never blessed with kids so I have no direct descendants to pass it onto so it is likely to go to a second cousin. The first rifle I used to harvest a deer was a loaner from my maternal grandfather. He served in Europe during WW2. During the war, the family back here in Canada started receiving small steel parts in parcels from him in Europe. After receiving a number of these someone finally figured out that they were gun parts. When the last of the parts arrived, all were taken to a local gun enthusiast. He put together a Mannlicher/Styuer in 7mmX57R. An absolutely beautify small rifle. Again at the age of 13, I used that very rifle to harvest my first whitetail buck in our back 40. Wish I still had it. It is still in the family, over 50 years later.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:45 PM

My first rifle was a 303 and still is my main rifle.
Bunch of deer and elk have become freezer fill thanks to it.