Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Banned

Arrow Hunting shows, things you laugh at?

And while we're at it...things you laugh at(or do the head shake) when you see on hunting shows?

I'll go first...

1. When a drop away rest fails. (seen twice for sure, both times two really big buck opportunities lost only for both hunters to end up taking smaller buck at end of season. One froze and broke at draw and the other wind blew off the side of rest and two week chase of same deer arrow never even entered camera frame)

2. When trying to find animal with scope mag too high. (see this every week it seems with all these long range rigs on the shows now)

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-05-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Primitive weapons season in SK when the hunter bailed out of the truck, stuck a cap on his muzzle loader, and whacked a deer from the edge of the ditch.

Stan Potts having a seizure (maybe it's an orgasm) when he shoots a 130" whitetail.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-05-2018, 10:37 AM

When I used to watch the long range shows have someone with no long range experience shoot an animal at long range, and then tell everyone how easy it is to shoot game at long range. They seem to overlook the fact that the person that pulled the trigger did not estimate the range or the wind, and did not figure out the compensation required, and did not adjust the turrets. All that they did was pull the trigger.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Not a hunting show, but something that happened to me personally, I was a dumb kid, didn't know any better, a friend came over and we loaded up a bunch of ammo for the ole triple deuce and did some target shooting...
By the time we were done, you could have fried an egg on the barrel!
A couple days later, there were a couple coyotes about a quarter mile from the house, standing about 5 feet apart, so I drew a bead on one of them and dropped his buddy into the snow!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Banned

Haha, i forgot about Stan Potts, yup and Fred Eichler lost his shat for a good laugh too!
Old 04-05-2018, 04:09 PM

Hate the fact they squeeze a hunting show in between commercials. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?
Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Default The incessant praise to the Guide ....

The way some of these "Good Ole Boys" carry on in praise of the Guide is absolutely comical.

You would think that the Guide was God himself, and had provided sexual pleasures to the Hunter / TV Host / Rock Star in addition to the delivering up of the animal.

But then again it could have something to do with the "Kill - No Pay" approach that some of these US Producers use to get a free trip up North in exchange for showcasing the Outfitter Operation on TV down in the States, as long as the episode airs on TV.

Drewski
Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM

There is one host that makes me laugh, because after proclaiming for years that reloading was a waste of time with the quality of factory loads, he started reloading, and almost instantly became a reloading expert, offering reloading advice on his show, as well as writing articles on reloading.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Jim shockeys hilarious hunts...his father and father in law....priceless.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is one host that makes me laugh, because after proclaiming for years that reloading was a waste of time with the quality of factory loads, he started reloading, and almost instantly became a reloading expert, offering reloading advice on his show, as well as writing articles on reloading.
Lol...hmmm who was that?

LC
Old 04-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Jim Shockey out there in the fog with a canoe paddle face to face with an irate bull moose that he called in to visit with. Hilarious.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Default Hunting shows

I think about 80% of what is on Wild T.V. is a joke. Don't bother watching it anymore.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Lol...hmmm who was that?

LC
I must decline to post the name on this forum.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

Laugh? More like shake my head. I got rid of Wild TV because of the nonsense. Those two twits who pretend they are stalking insurgents in Afghanistan when hunting deer, complete with military BDU's, radios, peltors, wearing chest rigs, and using military terminology when in the field.

Then there are the two buffoons who pretend they are a scout/sniper team when shooting elk at long ranges, same attire and gear as the first two. The spotter always told the shooter to "send it" before he pulled the trigger. They always wore Ghillie suits.

Here at home we had the former host of Canada in the Rough. Watched him once miss a Caribou in Quebec at 100 yards and blamed the guy next to him for shooting a second bull at the same time and making him flinch because the guy was using a muzzle break on his .338. during his monologue at the end of the show he said they had no place in hunting.

Back home we have the host of NL Sportsman, notorious for making bad shots on moose on camera and then giving up within an hour of searching for it. I watched one episode where he crippled a bull, couldn't find it right away and shot another bull 2 hours later. He is also a vocal opponent of AR-15 ownership.

To be honest, I only watch Michigan Out of Doors on PBS these days, decent show, no high tech gear just regular folks our hunting and fishing. I miss Fred Trosts Practical Sportsman, used to watch it all the time when I was a kid.

Modern hunting shows are all about high priced gear, gimmicks and canned hunts. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited by airbornedeerhunter; 04-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM

The biggest laugh yet is the new show coming from ryan kohler--" learning how to hunt with ryan " Yup, he's now going to TEACH hunting. He should take his short course first.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 PM

I shake my head at most of them. Only like watching the mountain hunts, just cuz I like to see the country I would love to be in.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I must decline to post the name on this forum.
LOL. I’m pretty sure everyone knows.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
LOL. I’m pretty sure everyone knows.
I think that most people noticed his instant change in attitude. I have to think that it was a result of a sponsor that sells components and tooling.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Any hunting show that doesnt feature the guide as the main attraction......

😜😜😜
Old 04-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Banned

Or just about anything that clown kid on Rawhide Hunting says or does.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:09 PM

As someone who loves coyote hunting it makes me cringe to see all these guys that get any random E call and a camera guy and think they can make a coyote hunting show.
It seems they kill one or 2 coyotes then at the end the ultra fidgety host with no head camo gets up from the open spot he was sitting at and proclaims "well they aren't quite co-operating today"

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 04-05-2018, 10:37 PM

Default wild tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Or just about anything that clown kid on Rawhide Hunting says or does.
X2......He needs a new line. "He shoots,He scores"!
Old 04-06-2018, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jim shockeys hilarious hunts...his father and father in law....priceless.
Jeepers maybe I misread the thread or don't understand the OP's questions because the above shows, videos are hilarious because that's what it is intended to be and they shoot animals but the adventure is fun to watch.
What I see so far posted is people displaying thier disgust, diassapprovement of shows which I agree with but if you want to sit down tonight sip a beverage throw one of these DVD's on and you will not stop laughing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Banned

yeah cat, i'm with you, most of what's complained about is exactly what makes me laugh too, interesting to watch how others do it and if you can't laugh at it then don't watch for sure, i've def gone spells where i can't take it lol

some stuff really gets me laughing though, that's what i'm curious about finding out here, what gets you guys laughing
Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 AM

There are some really good shows on YouTube right now, I really enjoy watching the guys at Born and Raised Outdoors, they are just regular guys that work there asses off. I like how the show reflects the realities of hunting, most shows they don't even kill anything.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

But then again it could have something to do with the "Kill - No Pay" approach that some of these US Producers use to get a free trip up North in exchange for showcasing the Outfitter Operation on TV down in the States, as long as the episode airs on TV.

Drewski
Could you explain this a little further? I’m not aware of this practice unless I’m misunderstanding your comment.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jeepers maybe I misread the thread or don't understand the OP's questions because the above shows, videos are hilarious because that's what it is intended to be and they shoot animals but the adventure is fun to watch.
What I see so far posted is people displaying thier disgust, diassapprovement of shows which I agree with but if you want to sit down tonight sip a beverage throw one of these DVD's on and you will not stop laughing.
There is a difference between shows that are intended to make a person laugh, and shows that try to be serious. I always laughed at Shockey's program when his father and father in law were on the show, because those gentlemen were meant to be entertaining. Those episodes were meant to make everyone laugh, and they did. On the other hand, some hosts are seriously trying to teach people how to hunt/shoot, or to teach them about equipment, and the show/segment is not intended to make people laugh. It's not a good thing when the audience is laughing at the host during those episodes/segments.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 PM

I got tired of the feed lot deer or the come here deer bait stations. Some of the deer were so busy chowing down that they did not pay attention to the camera jockey giggling and talking.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Anything to do with Scent control is a head shaker. Seriously, who the hell believes in scent control???

And Helgie rubbing some scrape scent product on branches......
Old 04-06-2018, 02:49 PM

15 shots then 3 geese fall.