Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Default Snow goose partner/group

Good morning all.

After having my snow goose hunt cancelled in sask, still looking to get out in a big way. Work has me swamped, so have had very limited time to scout, and they don't come to my usual spots around here. Just hoping someone might have an open spot please. I'm well equipped with everything needed--lots of decoys--full bodies, shells, flyers. I am a respectful mid-40s hunter, not looking to step on any toes, and happy to return the favor with some Canada's come fall.

I'm in Edmonton, trying to keep it within an hour of home, but certainly willing to look at all options.

Trying to get out to scout just past Elk island this weekend, but they seem to be laying low.

Thanks to all
Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Good morning all.

After having my snow goose hunt cancelled in sask, still looking to get out in a big way. Work has me swamped, so have had very limited time to scout, and they don't come to my usual spots around here. Just hoping someone might have an open spot please. I'm well equipped with everything needed--lots of decoys--full bodies, shells, flyers. I am a respectful mid-40s hunter, not looking to step on any toes, and happy to return the favor with some Canada's come fall.

I'm in Edmonton, trying to keep it within an hour of home, but certainly willing to look at all options.

Trying to get out to scout just past Elk island this weekend, but they seem to be laying low.

Thanks to all
I don't know much about snows, certainly nothing close to what some of the guys on here do but I would wait 2-3 more weeks. There is still snow on the fields, water is frozen and the temperatures are not favorable. Any that you may be seeing, are either too eager or are "locals". I have never seen any near Elk Island Park, I have seen them by Big Lake just flying by super high, but I would suggest looking Eastward of Tofield or Vegreville.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I don't know much about snows, certainly nothing close to what some of the guys on here do but I would wait 2-3 more weeks. There is still snow on the fields, water is frozen and the temperatures are not favorable. Any that you may be seeing, are either too eager or are "locals". I have never seen any near Elk Island Park, I have seen them by Big Lake just flying by super high, but I would suggest looking Eastward of Tofield or Vegreville.
"local" snow geese around Elk Island?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-03-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
"local" snow geese around Elk Island?
Anything is possible. I've seen mallards and Canadas in January. A lot of them hang out by the train tracks near 107street and yellowhead, as well as Genesee.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Anything is possible. I've seen mallards and Canadas in January. A lot of them hang out by the train tracks near 107street and yellowhead, as well as Genesee.
Mallards and Canadas are not snow geese.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Wont be finding much now around Edmonton for sure for snow geese let alone a Canada hunt lol You will have to drive a bit more than past Elk Island as well to find a decent amount of birds as well.
There are some in Southern Alberta right now but very few.
I wont be going again for another 2-3 weeks.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Not planning on anything happening for a few weeks, just trying to spread the net. Were tons out east in the fall
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 PM

I am an hour east and live out on a farm usually a flock or two around in the spring will let you know if a hunt comes up justfishin
Old 04-04-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I am an hour east and live out on a farm usually a flock or two around in the spring will let you know if a hunt comes up justfishin
Much obliged, I'll be in touch