Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Cz sight in

I have a CZ 455 and will be useing the 17cal barrel.
The ammo 17 gr v-max.
the scope leupold V11 3-9 x33mm rimfire.
At 25 m the bullet hits 12in high and 8 in right.
To get the bullet to hit 1.5 in high at 100m the question, how many clicks.
The idea of course to save time and ammo, "walking" the bullet in not so good.
The hard part now, to get a wind free day, and a 100 m snow free area.
I know it can be done on paper, have not got it to work for me yet.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The ammo 17 gr v-max.
First thing, make sure you scope is centred adjustment wise. Turn the vertical till it stops, gently, then count the number of turns till it stops the other way. Set the adjustment half way in between. Do this for the horizontal too.

Next thing I would do is try remounting and rotating the barrel to see if I can get it to shoot closer to Point of Aim because that far out you are going to run out of adjustment before you get on target. With a 1/4" per click at 100 scope you will need 16 clicks per inch at 25 so 192 clicks to get the height part right sand 128 for the left/right. Most scopes don;t have that much adjustment and even if they do you arre going to be way too far from cantered in the adjustment range, which is where scopes work best.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM

I have to wonder about the mounting job, I don't think that I could adjust my scopes enough to get the point of impact that far from center at 25m.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 PM

Like the others have said, something is really out of whack. More info might give a clue.

What rings are you using? Are you mounting your rings on a rail or on the dovetail? If you're mounting on the dovetail, are your rings 11mm? If you're using a rail, how many moa? Are you using new rings, rings that have previously been used by yourself or are they rings that you purchased used from someone else?

Do you have another set of rings you can try?
Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The ammo 17 gr v-max.

Just aim 12 inches low and 8 inches to the left and voila.

Seriously tho? That reeks of a bad mount. You didn't bore sight it prior to hitting the range? Pretty easy to get things close just looking through the bore at a quarter sized dot on a far wall in your house then adjusting your scope until you see the same thing. I do mine at maybe 10 yards and don't have a whole whack of adjusting to do at the range.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Just aim 12 inches low and 8 inches to the left and voila.

Seriously tho? That reeks of a bad mount. You didn't bore sight it prior to hitting the range? Pretty easy to get things close just looking through the bore at a quarter sized dot on a far wall in your house then adjusting your scope until you see the same thing. I do mine at maybe 10 yards and don't have a whole whack of adjusting to do at the range.
Thanks for sharing that! I have been considering getting a boresight and have been too cheap.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I have been considering getting a boresight and have been too cheap.
Don't need a bore sight. Secure the rifle so it won't move; I use my cleaning vice in a pinch. Remove the bolt, look through the action and down the barrel. Center it on you target (spot on the wall, what have you) then adjust the scope so it lines up on the center of the target as well.

The further away you can set the target the better, but down the hall will work if that is all you have. It will get you a lot closer than 12".
Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Sight in

Thanks, looks like i got some home work to do, will try the bore sight, and the other suggestions----Time not a factor with the bad weather---to be continued--
Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
First thing, make sure you scope is centred adjustment wise. Turn the vertical till it stops, gently, then count the number of turns till it stops the other way. Set the adjustment half way in between. Do this for the horizontal too.
The scope should be centered before mounting.

Instead of doing all that counting to determine turns then going half way back, try using a mirror.

I use my wife's hand mirror. Lay it flat. Turn scope to lowest setting. Stand scope with objective lens on mirror and look though the eye piece. You will see reticle and a reflected reticle. Turn the dials till they are one

Aside from that I am wondering if the rings are correct?? Not all rimf dovetail groves are standard.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM

All the advice I've read re: rings/mounting is solid..but with a 455, I'd be more concerned about whether or not the barrel is askew. Even with a dedicated 22 barrel and no plans of doing a swaperoo...I've wondered about this being an issue with the 455s. I never thought of this option as being a good direction to go, just a cost-saving measure for CZ.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:53 PM

Default CZ sight in

Went back to the drawning board---more or less took everybodys advice--took the scope off, and carefully put back on--used my leveler.
Then to the farmers yard. Used the range finder for 50m--just a little high and to the left.dialed in for plus 0.9---for minus 0.3 at 150m.
The farmer had one road plowed. shot 31 gophers, most around 100m, one at 157m. At 200m not effective, still need some fine tuneing on the trigger, no wind so, good for a start, takes a while to get the eye back on after a long lay off.
Thanks for the help saved a gunsmith bill.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:54 PM

The CZ 455 trigger is really easy to adjust down. If you need help, let me know. May help a bit with accuracy but minute of gopher at 150 isn’t bad at all!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Cz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
The CZ 455 trigger is really easy to adjust down. If you need help, let me know. May help a bit with accuracy but minute of gopher at 150 isn’t bad at all!
For sure I need help, one thing about the forum, for sure a core of good guys, willing to pass on the benefit of there experience---just got to be a good listener is all.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 AM

Probably easier just to send you a video. You can purchase the yodave kits but may not be needed. Do not over torque any of the action screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJH-8bY7fQ
Old 04-04-2018, 01:37 PM

Default CZ

Quote:
Probably easier just to send you a video. You can purchase the yodave kits but may not be needed. Do not over torque any of the action screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJH-8bY7fQ
Thanks again, ordering a trigger kit--The video gave me some ideas about sight in, to improve the overall long range performance of the 17 hmr.
The 17 hmr barrel will be changed out to 22lr barrel as soon as we can get on the meadows.
The cost of ammo for the 17 hmr high compared to the 22lr. The 22lr good out to 100m which is all we need for day to day gopher shooting.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Just buy another one rather than changing the barrel! haha. Yes the 17HMR is very expensive compared to bulk 22 ammo. MOA of gopher at 100 yards is very impressive shooting if you can make that happen. May need to buy ammo that is as expensive as your 17HMR though. Shoot the cheap stuff and just get a bit closer is usually what I do.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Just buy another one rather than changing the barrel! haha. Yes the 17HMR is very expensive compared to bulk 22 ammo. MOA of gopher at 100 yards is very impressive shooting if you can make that happen. May need to buy ammo that is as expensive as your 17HMR though. Shoot the cheap stuff and just get a bit closer is usually what I do.
I just bought some 17hmr loads from Prophet River at $17.50 per box, which is as good as I have seen lately. With $6 per box loads my 22lr rifles will both shoot sub moa at 100m, but a person needs to be much more accurate on estimating range to make consists t hits on ground squirrels at 100 yards.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I just bought some 17hmr loads from Prophet River at $17.50 per box, which is as good as I have seen lately. With $6 per box loads my 22lr rifles will both shoot sub moa at 100m, but a person needs to be much more accurate on estimating range to make consists t hits on ground squirrels at 100 yards.
What ammo are you using to get this?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What ammo are you using to get this?
SK Standard Plus and RWS Championship Edition. Rifles are a Cooper, and an Anschutz.