Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Banned

Default Terrible Incident in Costco Today

Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM

More like a week ago but very funny none-the-less!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:21 PM

Thought you were going to tell us a large woman in spandex ran over an old guy wearing bermuda shorts and black socks to his knees with her wagon of chocolate bars and doughnuts.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM

Or that they were out of Kirkland vodka
Old 03-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Banned

I offered to share a banana , with a woman pushing a Chimp in stroller once , long ago in a KMart store,

She became very aggressive and wouldn't accept my kind offer,,
Old 03-28-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebo View Post
Or that they were out of Kirkland vodka
Lol...
Old 03-28-2018, 04:36 PM

Hey I go to Costco, just for the samples. Was there a week or so ago, with my daughter in Law, who's East Indian. Got one Tide pod from the kind lady, wouldn't give me a second one , so the daughter in law asked for one. Sample lady asks, same family ? Was very tempted to say, do we look like the same family ?

Grizz
Old 03-28-2018, 04:51 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I offered to share a banana , with a woman pushing a Chimp in stroller once , long ago in a KMart store,

LOL funny stuff!!! Too good!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Last time I was there, an older (60 ish)man walked into the exit. I was in line to show my receipt with my 4 year old daughter. The young East Indian woman working politely asked him if he needed assistance and he screamed at her to “speak English!” The he confronted another asking if there was a problem.

I told him people where staring at him because of the way he treated the young lady. I told him we didn’t treat ladies like that where I was raised. He stared at me and walked off. Maybe he didn’t like my shaved head.

I called the manager to compliment the girl for how she handled the situation. Good lesson for my daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_mcrane View Post
Last time I was there, an older (60 ish)man walked into the exit. I was in line to show my receipt with my 4 year old daughter. The young East Indian woman working politely asked him if he needed assistance and he screamed at her to “speak English!” The he confronted another asking if there was a problem.

I told him people where staring at him because of the way he treated the young lady. I told him we didn’t treat ladies like that where I was raised. He stared at me and walked off. Maybe he didn’t like my shaved head.

I called the manager to compliment the girl for how she handled the situation. Good lesson for my daughter.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 PM

Just feel sorry for that guy. How would you like to be him; leaving a trail of people behind you shaking their heads and thinking 'What an azhole.'
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_mcrane View Post

Good work! Can’t stand ignorant people. Especially ignorant old people that have no clue how to behave in a polite society. Someone’s wife, someone’s daughter.. someone’s mom. Doesn’t matter what their skin color is or accent.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

that doesn't sound funny at all.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Just feel sorry for that guy. How would you like to be him; leaving a trail of people behind you shaking their heads and thinking 'What an azhole.'
I don't feel sorry for people who choose to live life like that.

It's their offspring I feel sorry for.

I used to play hockey with a kid who's dad would act a complete fool regularly at games often getting kicked out by the ref, the poor kid would sit on the bench with his head down feeling humiliated every time his dad acted up.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:55 AM

I took some stakes back to a big hardware store in Edmonton because I over estimated the number I needed.
The very young guy, who had given me a problem in the past, behind the counter ask why I was returning them. I told him the points were on the wrong end and I needed them on the other end.
The kid just stood there confused with a stupid look on his face while a few guys in line were laughing.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I don't feel sorry for people who choose to live life like that.

It's their offspring I feel sorry for.

I used to play hockey with a kid who's dad would act a complete fool regularly at games often getting kicked out by the ref, the poor kid would sit on the bench with his head down feeling humiliated every time his dad acted up.
Yep, the kids get embarrassed by their parents foolishness! And it's because when the parents were kids, they were not taught to treat others with respect
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM

Wow, looking at some of the responses on here I obviously should carry a pad of "Hurt Feelings Reports" wherever I go.

If myself or my wife for that matter had our kid on one of those leashes (which would never happen as the kid would've been in the seat of the cart or holding one of our hands), and someone said that to us, there is no way we could prevent ourselves from laughing. I think that people should be able to laugh at themselves and with others more often, even if it's at their own expense.

Laughing = good/healthy, whining/getting angry = unhealthy, whining on social media = pathetic. Feeling sorry for those who are posting their sadness due to others' lack of sensitivity on social media = the propagation of pathetic.

Maybe every city/town should have one or possibly many multiple wooden crosses erected. That way the people who feel like they are constantly being wronged can climb on up, give their speech on how they are constantly being wronged by society, let everyone know how they have become a martyr for the social justice movement.

Maybe some people simply have "Martyr complex" and simply need to read the following article, as there seems to be an epidemic these days.

HAVING A MARTYR COMPLEX IS LIKE HAVING A GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD.
It allows you to evade guilt and shame, bypass self-responsibility, and perhaps most importantly (and tragically), it allows you to dodge real life self-growth. Having a martyr complex essentially involves pointing the finger at other people or situations in your life and blaming them for your illnesses, disappointments, crushed dreams, and emotional turmoil.

So what is a Martyr? Do you have a Martyr in your life? And most importantly, do you tend to exhibit Martyrdom?

FIRSTLY, WHAT IS A MARTYR?
Traditionally a martyr is understood as a person who is willing to die for their country, religion or beliefs. These days, a martyr refers to a person who unnecessarily sacrifices themselves for others, while ignoring their own needs.

WHAT IS A MARTYR COMPLEX?
What is a martyr complex? A martyr complex is a destructive pattern of behavior in which a person habitually seeks suffering or persecution as a way to feel “good” about themselves. We all have the capacity to be martyrs, but martyr complex sufferers adopt this as a daily role, often to the detriment of their relationships.

Having a martyr complex is a way of life as it taints every interaction a person has towards others and their role in the world. I say this because I have not only personally wrestled with a martyr complex in the past, but in the present, I also frequently speak with and mentor self-imposed martyrs.

WHY DO PEOPLE DEVELOP MARTYR COMPLEXES?
The Martyr Complex Checklist:

Why do some people become self-imposed victims, and others become self-possessed champions? There are a number of potential reasons why, and all of them might help you to develop a more compassionate understanding of others and/or yourself:

Childhood experiences mold us significantly, and often martyr complexes develop out of adopting the twisted behavioral patterns and values of our parents. For example, if our mother/father were self-imposed victims who gave up all of their hopes and dreams for us, it is likely that we would adopt the values of being “selfless, sacrificial and kind.” As our parent’s and family members were like gods to us when we were little, we unconsciously adopt many of their traits.

Societal/cultural conditioning also contributes greatly to our tendency to develop certain complexes throughout life. For example, making a simple comparison of South American and North American tradition reveals a lot about differing cultural expectations. Latina women, for example, are traditionally expected to be motherly, nurturing, self-sacrificing homemakers. American women, on the other hand, are frequently encouraged to be active, successful, and even a little selfish, business women. Our cultural roots determine many of the thoughts and feelings we have about who we are, and who we “should” be.

Self-esteem and the subsequent development of our core beliefs is also a major contributor to developing a martyr complex. The worse we feel about ourselves, the more we tend to try covering this up by making believe that we are “kind, loving, compassionate and caring.” Being a self-imposed martyr also removes the need for us to take responsibility of our lives by scapegoating other people as the cause of our failures and disappointments.

THE MARTYR COMPLEX CHECKLIST
Here we’ll examine the martyr complex more in depth. All signs and examples will be phrased in the third person.

1. The person has a martyr as their hero, e.g. Joan of Arc, Francis of Assisi, Gandhi, Jesus, or perhaps a parent or grandparent who abandoned all of their hopes and dreams in “service” of the family.

The Martyr Complex2. They were born into a culture/country/family that has very strict gender roles, religious creeds, or expectations.

3. They display signs of low self-esteem, e.g. inability to receive love or affection, negative body image, excessive judgmentalism, moodiness, etc.

4. They were abused as a child emotionally, psychologically or physically (e.g. by a parent, sibling, family member, church member, teacher, etc.).

5. They have stayed in an abusive relationship or friendship, even despite their ailing health and well-being.

6. They refuse to accept responsibility for the decisions and choices that have caused them pain or suffering.

7. They portray themselves as righteous, self-sacrificing, the “nice guy/girl,” the saint, the caretaker, or the hero.

8. They blame the selfishness and inhumanity of other people for their repression and oppression.

9. They seek to reassure themselves of their innocence and greatness.

10. They exaggerate their level of suffering, hardship and mistreatment.

11. They have a cynical, paranoid or even suspicious perception of other people’s intentions.

12. They have an obsessive need to be right.

13. They have a hard time saying “no” and setting personal boundaries.

14. They assume that other people can read their mind.

15. They emotionally manipulate or coerce people into doing what they want by portraying themselves as the noble sufferer.

16. They don’t take initiative to solve their problems or try to actively remedy them.

17. When the Martyr’s problems are solved, they find more “problems” to complain about.

18. They actively seek appreciation, recognition, and attention for their efforts by creating drama.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned

Well, that was a waste of a perfectly good joke.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM

Just one of those people who tries to make themselves feel big by making others feel small.

I can think of lots of good reasons why the lady would have her kid on a leash. Destry should just mind his own business.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Not at all, it made me laugh
Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I thought it was funny.
Some may need the attached document though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hurtfeelingsform.pdf (32.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM

I always thought those kids on leashes were for playing tether ball.

Note: this is intended to be funny and I am not promoting violence against children
Old 03-29-2018, 04:54 PM

OK, I'll admit it. Happened many years ago. Was standing in line at Home Depot, behind some woman, whose kid was throwing a tantrum and screaming at the top of his voice, without her doing any thing . finally, I said to her, You know, if you hold them under water for a while, they stop doing that.

Grizz
Old 03-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Hilarious!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
OK, I'll admit it. Happened many years ago. Was standing in line at Home Depot, behind some woman, whose kid was throwing a tantrum and screaming at the top of his voice, without her doing any thing . finally, I said to her, You know, if you hold them under water for a while, they stop doing that.

Grizz
I was at a wedding about 30 years ago and one of the little kids there was freaking out and throwing a tantrum on the floor during the reception. My then girlfriend's father leans over to me and says "Now you know why sometimes tigers eat their young." I spit my beer all over the place.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I took some stakes back to a big hardware store in Edmonton because I over estimated the number I needed.
The very young guy, who had given me a problem in the past, behind the counter ask why I was returning them. I told him the points were on the wrong end and I needed them on the other end.
The kid just stood there confused with a stupid look on his face while a few guys in line were laughing.
Lol funny
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Wow hva7mm! I really hope you were joking about mentoring people with a martyr complex! Is that really a thing??? How do you mentor someone like that? They will just do the right thing and allow you to help them... if it makes you feel better!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Wow hva7mm! I really hope you were joking about mentoring people with a martyr complex! Is that really a thing??? How do you mentor someone like that? They will just do the right thing and allow you to help them... if it makes you feel better!

No joke, it's not about me mentoring anyone, just something I read a while ago. Pretty disturbing, but not all that surprising.