Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Convince you? Shouldn't have to. People, no matter how well trained, and machines, screw up all the time.

"Well dang, Jim was a well trained pilot. Couldn't have been him that caused that mid air collision."

You want an example for real? I was found not guilty due to police error many years ago. Supposed to go straight to the station with a suspected impaired driver (me) for testing. Pulling over someone else on the way there and tossing them in the back seat long with me = Not guilty. Thank you officer.

There are many,many cases of human and machine error on the records. In fact if I am not mistaken Alberta, or maybe it was BC, just recently had to reverse a bunch of impaired charges due to the machines not being calibrated properly.

Innocent until "PROVEN" guilty.
So were you drunk? Was the other guy? If so do you think that minor detail makes you driving drunk ok or innocent?
Old 03-28-2018, 02:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Yep... This was posted above...

Change driving to firearms, they are a privilege as well, see the stink that happens.
Everything is a privilege, living in this great country is a privilege.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-28-2018, 02:48 PM

Well Larry... what ya figger?
Book em Danno!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
People are most definitely scheduled for 1st appearance within 45 of being charged; 30 days is the current rule of thumb. The old rule was 21 days, so that they would get in front of Judge before the license suspension was expired.

That is provincial funding and lawyers, not the fault of the Police.

Not saying it's the police at fault. It's the court system.

Within 45 does not happen if you are pleading not guilty. Defense lawyers will not even have the crowns evidence in front of them at that point.

9-12 months to plead not guilty and prepare a case. Suspended the entire time. Found guilty? Wait another 6 months minimum to get the blowbox. If you're deemed eligible.

And we're talking city court timing. Live in the rurals and you were waiting a helluva lot longer.

Older rules had a mandatory 90 day suspension before getting your license back...no blowbox, then drive to court to find out your fate.

So lets use your "Trial is anywhere from 3 months to 3 years based on location, court case load, lawyers, and the assigned Judge" scenario. I think I'm innocent or even have a 50/50 chance of getting off. 3 years is an acceptable driving suspension if I'm found innocent? Sorry but I don't agree and as it turns out, neither did the province.

Last edited by 270person; 03-28-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
So were you drunk? Was the other guy? If so do you think that minor detail makes you driving drunk ok or innocent?

Point is the cop made a mistake, and the charge of impaired driving was withdrawn.

Cops do make mistakes. They're human and we're all entitled to a fair trial rena

Driving impaired is never ok and it isn't always booze or drugs that cause a person to be that way.

I will throw this out there though. I love how some people wave their fingers at others about drunk driving and I'll throw this out there. The percentage of people who a) possess a drivers license b) drink c) say they have never driven impaired.... is minute. D) are liars. Just because a person was never caught doesn't make them any less guilty.

Here's another question for you and the answer to this one is based on statistical evidence. On average how many times would you say a person has driven impaired before their first impaired charge?

Last edited by 270person; 03-28-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Time to equip ALL our officers with body cameras
Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
You bet, dash cam got my boy off his charges when it became obvious the Officer (RCMP) was a lying POS. Long story but pretty much a totally trumped up charge, someone was having a bad day.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yep... This was posted above...

Change driving to firearms, they are a privilege as well, see the stink that happens.
I was thinking this as well. Take away my car, I lose my livelihood. Take away my guns, life goes on. It would suck, but life would go on.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=58thecat; Driving is regarded a right by many but it is a privilege.[/QUOTE]
this is the whole problem in one sentence . my dad drilled it into us kids when we learned to drive and made it clear that the privilege could be revoked . turns out dad was wrong . even the courts have treated driving as a right .
Old 03-28-2018, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Everything is a privilege, living in this great country is a privilege.
That's a mouthful. We don't have rights anymore. Care to tell me why? Liberals, Cons, NDP, all the same. More than willing to take more away.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:23 AM

Does anyone else find it just bizarre that the law makers want to crucify impaired drivers yet a distracted driver despite being more likely to kill someone gets a $287 fine and gets to drive away?

https://globalnews.ca/news/2926240/d...riving-deaths/

And you can kill someone with your vehicle and often just get a small fine, like careless driving or distracted driving and keep your driving privileges. As long as you are sober

But if your BAC is over that threshold your hooped. (Because of the POSSIBILITY of hurting or killing someone)

So in the eyes of the law, killing someone with your vehicle, as long as your sober, is somewhat acceptable?

The punishments of each respective crime sure insinuate that
Old 03-29-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
Ya and then you will see exactly all the crap they put up with on a daily basis, especially when the sun goes down....they won't show that because it's all in a days/shifts work but dam if I had a few beers over supper rolled through a stop sign and got pulled over they are bullying me, oh woe is me, so hard done by...should travel a bit and see how other police forces handle citizens....gather around beat ya, and throw you in cells with another 50 animals...wait your turn to get your say if you live that long.....ohhhhh poor us

Old 03-29-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
That's a mouthful. We don't have rights anymore. Care to tell me why? Liberals, Cons, NDP, all the same. More than willing to take more away.

Well,you got a choice there....spit or swallow....either way you choose to live here, no ones keeping you anchored to your misery.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
this is the whole problem in one sentence . my dad drilled it into us kids when we learned to drive and made it clear that the privilege could be revoked . turns out dad was wrong . even the courts have treated driving as a right .
I was also told to respect the law, don't put yourself into a situation that made the cop or law do thier job, stay off that radar and you'll be ok....far from perfect but when caught crossing the line never made excuses just manned up did the time, paid the fine etc. If the cops could free up time from being busy policing the normal day to day easy to follow laws etc they could put more effort into the drug dealers, rural theft etc but hey we want to act like idiots behind the wheel so they gotta deal with the simpletons of society. If you don't believe me take a look around when your driving today, sit at the lights, watch what takes place....yup simpletons everywhere....