Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 PM

Default Kitchenaid appliance help/rant

What the heck is the deal now a days. These appliances are way over priced but they have nothing but problems and do not outlast the older models.

I bought a new SS kitchenaid set for my kitchen but have had issues over the past two years with my fridge and range.

My fridge keeps having massive ice build up on the vent just behind the drawers, it extends across the whole width of bottom and roughly 4-6" high. I've had three different techs come up and replace the defrost component, move/replace the sensor that detects frost + kick on defrost. Every visit corrected the problem for about 4-5 weeks and all of sudden the ice is back.
(The fridge is not overfilled if you may think that's issue)

My range gives me a f6e0 lost communication error which made the techs replace 3 of the boards about 6 months ago but the same error is back.

This is becoming a nuisance and pain in the arse as I need to take all of our food out and unplug the fridge when they visit but thankfully I bought 3 years extended warranty.

I am getting fed up with this lemons and either I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to them or use as target practice.

Has anyone has these issues? I'd appreciate any help.

Kitchenaid fridge model #KRFF507ESS01
Kitchenaid stove model #YKFES530ESS0

Old 03-26-2018, 12:46 AM

Sorry I can't help you, I have a fancy KitchenAid Oven with a million features that I don't know how to use that I bought second hand from Kijiji 5 years ago and it was a couple years old when I got it and it has been flawless. Never replaced a part on the thing.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 AM

Sorry not much help, just wanna say i feel your pain. My beer fridge in garage is an old kenmore 1981. so just shy of 40 years old. Still works great ive had a samsung and ge stainless fancy fridge... both crapped out in 3-4 years. Last one i got the salesmen said i should get a good 7-8 years. What? For $3000? Just the way it is. They make them disposable now, best way to keep profits up. Its rediculous, i know.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:42 AM

Ya sometimes the older ones are the best, but not too efficient.
My old 25 cube Sears coldspot freezer was a beast, we retired it but not because it died, when the comp kicked it, the streetlights would dim, ha.

TBark
Old 03-26-2018, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All whirlpool appliances, 11 years so far, only had the fridge mechanism that sets temps crap out, replaced 180 bucks....180 typical would have been better.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
What the heck is the deal now a days. These appliances are way over priced but they have nothing but problems and do not outlast the older models.

I bought a new SS kitchenaid set for my kitchen but have had issues over the past two years with my fridge and range.

My fridge keeps having massive ice build up on the vent just behind the drawers, it extends across the whole width of bottom and roughly 4-6" high. I've had three different techs come up and replace the defrost component, move/replace the sensor that detects frost + kick on defrost. Every visit corrected the problem for about 4-5 weeks and all of sudden the ice is back.
(The fridge is not overfilled if you may think that's issue)

My range gives me a f6e0 lost communication error which made the techs replace 3 of the boards about 6 months ago but the same error is back.

This is becoming a nuisance and pain in the arse as I need to take all of our food out and unplug the fridge when they visit but thankfully I bought 3 years extended warranty.

I am getting fed up with this lemons and either I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to them or use as target practice.

Has anyone has these issues? I'd appreciate any help.

Kitchenaid fridge model #KRFF507ESS01
Kitchenaid stove model #YKFES530ESS0

Looks like a product flaw...never going to be fixed.
https://www.justanswer.com/appliance...ess-frost.html

The do it yourself fix is on the attached.

found this also.

model has had a service bulletin for more than two years for a fault that causes ice build up and the fans in both fridge and freezer to sound like a small motorcycle. KitchenAid has a repair kit for this issue, which wasn't disclosed to us when we purchased the unit
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All whirlpool appliances, 11 years so far, only had the fridge mechanism that sets temps crap out, replaced 180 bucks....180 typical would have been better.
Whirlpool and Kitchenaid are the same company. Products sold are very similar but with a few minor changes.

Large appliance competition is little to none these days.

From Wiki.
The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul. Whirlpool Corporation is the world's largest home appliance maker.[5] Their website also mentions Hotpoint, Diqua, Affresh, Acros, and Yummly brands.[6]
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM

Appreciate the help Sundance!

I am going to call Whirlpool Canada and voice my extreme disappointment.
Hopefully they can do something for us.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM

We had the same problem with the ice buildup behind the crisper drawers.
A local repair man repaired it with a larger drain hose. He said it is a common problem and said he never had a call back after making the repair.
It has been over 2 years for ours and all is good.
Hope this helps Phil.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Banned

You may be able to put your fridge into a forced defrost mode through the electronic controls. Google it for your model or check the back of the fridge where the compressor is there may be a service and wiring diagram sheet that may explain how to do it. I have to do this to my fridge at least once a month, it's a Maytag, same crap different pile.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Whirlpool and Kitchenaid are the same company. Products sold are very similar but with a few minor changes.

From Wiki.
The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul. Whirlpool Corporation is the world's largest home appliance maker.[5] Their website also mentions Hotpoint, Diqua, Affresh, Acros, and Yummly brands.[6]
If I get another 11 years out of them I will be happy, old Viking fridge in the Inlaws basement made in the 60's still going strong....probably eats 100 bucks to run a month....beer is still cold though

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM

UPDATE********

Had a senior technician come by to diagnose for 4th time.

Apparently Kitchen aid has released a fix that adds a complete new defrost unit so hopefully this does the trick. The installer said he has done 50 other fridges like this and is a factory defect.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM

If that won’t solve the issue - demand the replacement. They do have a lemon policy but you have to do the same thing as I pmed you again...
Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 AM

Out kitchen aid appliances have been great. Very happy.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 AM

I've had similar issues with my Kitchenaid range. Circuit board has been replaced (with supposedly updated version) 3 times now over the past 2 years. Previous to that, we had a higher end Kitchenaid range that did the exact same thing, although it was a completely different model (induction).

FTR It's good you bought the warranty, but Kitchenaid has parts warranty for 5 years after purchase. The only reason I know that is they completely replaced all the electronics (including wiring/sensors) at the last visit.. fingers crossed it works for a while.. only cost me $100/labour.

FYI, Rona or home depot (can't remember which one), has a 3 strikes and it's replaced warranty on it's appliances. And it doesn't have to be the same issue either. this is the route I'm going next time.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:54 AM

HAD a kitchen aid frig. Same problems......no modification would stop the problem.....except one......the trip to the dump.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Appliances now manufactured in Asia, or many of the components, at one time Kitchen-Aid stood for quality, not anymore!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:41 AM

Not my department, I would ask the foreman of that department but why poke the bear? All's I'm concerned about is that the meals hit the neutral piece zone on prescribed times. Other than that I know it's shiny.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:07 PM

Here I am 3 years later with the same problem. Happens every 6 months or so, I might have a nice target to practice on.

Fridge emptied and letting it defrost, open to any hints or ideas that helped others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86210EC6-ED82-4B2B-91CA-87AEC7B1EB4E.jpg (14.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
"..open to any hints or ideas that helped others.
Have did the youtube thing, tons of vids on the issue.

Last edited by tri777; 08-02-2021 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Bad link
Old 08-02-2021, 09:13 AM

Had a kitchen aid do the exact same thing. This was what was wrong with mine. The fridge runs off of the freezer, there is a fan that pushes air from the freezer into the fridge, the airway between the two gets frost in it. There is a heat element that melts the frost and the water runs into a tray at the bottom of the fridge where it evaporates. This water runs out into the trap through a “duck bill” rubber end and because it’s moist all the time it gets built up with dust and coodies that are under a fridge and plugs off. The water backs up and leeks out into the freezer floor and makes a sheet of ice on the freezer floor and eventually leaks onto your floor. Simply pull off the fridge back and cut a 1/4 inch off of the duck bill so it won’t plug off. Unplug the fridge for a few day to melt it clean.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

From Wiki.
Yep even 40 years ago there were really only two main manufacturers in USA and Canada. The old man sold appliances at his store, he would order whatever freezers, fridges, washers, driers, etc, a little bag full of emblems would come with each unit so he could stick on the brand he was supposed to be selling.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:50 PM

I have a kitchenaid fridge with ice dispenser and stopped working when we had a power outage awhile back. Reset and tried everything but no go. Costco had an ice maker on sale for $100 and decided to make our own ice and fill the hopper. Since i seen this post, I thought I would see if anyone knows what I could try next to fix it. Fridge is 10 years old now.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Had a kitchen aid do the exact same thing. This was what was wrong with mine. The fridge runs off of the freezer, there is a fan that pushes air from the freezer into the fridge, the airway between the two gets frost in it. There is a heat element that melts the frost and the water runs into a tray at the bottom of the fridge where it evaporates. This water runs out into the trap through a “duck bill” rubber end and because it’s moist all the time it gets built up with dust and coodies that are under a fridge and plugs off. The water backs up and leeks out into the freezer floor and makes a sheet of ice on the freezer floor and eventually leaks onto your floor. Simply pull off the fridge back and cut a 1/4 inch off of the duck bill so it won’t plug off. Unplug the fridge for a few day to melt it clean.

I don't have an issue where the water leaks on floor. My issue is that the vent behind the crisper drawers has ice build up right across the vents and is sometimes 2-4 inches thick. I had the defrost fan replaced 3 times and still happens. The only way to remedy which is a temp fix is unplugging the fridge for 24-36 hours then plugging back in but problem does eventually come back.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:52 PM

Does anyone have any contact information for an experienced technician to correct this problem? I am thinking its the thermistor
Old 08-02-2021, 12:59 PM

Default fridge follies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Yup, this. It is that duckbill "valve" that was the problem with ours. Cleaned it and cut a triangular notch in it and it worked.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Duck bill

Is this the duck bill you are referring too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchenaid.jpg (39.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:17 PM

As Weedy said, unscrew and look behind the back panel for a sheet on how to enter self-diagnostic mode. It will test the thermistors among other things. Our Maytag uses the front panel buttons:
Old 08-02-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Is this the duck bill you are referring too?
@4min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DKNtgd5vI
Old 08-02-2021, 02:03 PM

Thanks, i took a look and mine does not have that style.