Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 11:58 PM
Banned

Okay, thanks for the advice. I don’t have a problem with traction, that’s good, but going through deeper snow causes the underbody to get hung up. I have to change the shocks anyway so what are your thoughts on those 0-2” lift Bilstein shocks that someone posted a link to? They aren’t cheap but considering what i’d Pay for cheap Monroe’s or similar shocks now would be the time to do it.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:16 AM

Absolutely go with those. They are the best option for getting a small lift out of that truck I mentioned them in the original post. As I mentioned - the parts getting hung up are likely the front end so until you get larger tires that will continue to happen.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 AM
Banned

Old 03-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

All that I'm looking for is a few inches of body lift (Without buying new tires) to give me a little more body clearance in snow (the height of the differential doesn't matter).

A couple inches of body lift wont help you at all in the situation in your picture.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the advice. I don’t have a problem with traction, that’s good, but going through deeper snow causes the underbody to get hung up. I have to change the shocks anyway so what are your thoughts on those 0-2” lift Bilstein shocks that someone posted a link to? They aren’t cheap but considering what i’d Pay for cheap Monroe’s or similar shocks now would be the time to do it.
Those 5100 series Bilsteins are all the Rave on the F150 forum. Guys putting them on New trucks.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:57 AM

If that is the type of running you want to do, you can buy a lot in a used Skidoo for $2000, especially this time of year. Carry it in back of truck. Five minutes to unload and away you go.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If that is the type of running you want to do, you can buy a lot in a used Skidoo for $2000, especially this time of year. Carry it in back of truck. Five minutes to unload and away you go.
X2
Happened to see a nice lifted Ford yesterday with his drive shaft laying on the shoulder.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yeah, right after getting stuck that time I started doing my checks on skidoo with a sled. Two hours of shoveling is no fun. I usually have 4 or 5 spots to check between 5 and 10 kms apart so it's either the truck or the skidoo because it's a PITA loading and unloading all of the time.

The shocks have to be replaced anyway so I'll be putting on those Bilstein ones. If it gives me a bit of clearance, great. If it doesn't help matters at least I have new fancy shocks.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, right after getting stuck that time I started doing my checks on skidoo with a sled. Two hours of shoveling is no fun. I usually have 4 or 5 spots to check between 5 and 10 kms apart so it's either the truck or the skidoo because it's a PITA loading and unloading all of the time.

The shocks have to be replaced anyway so I'll be putting on those Bilstein ones. If it gives me a bit of clearance, great. If it doesn't help matters at least I have new fancy shocks.
You will love the Bilsteins. I put them on my Dodge, it didn't affect ride height, they were just straight replacements. If I had known how much better the truck would ride with them I would have put them on when the truck was new, they are that much better on my 2500.

I have owned dozens of different 4x4s. They can be made to be much better off road, but it is expensive, and you do give up on road handling, ride and longevity of parts. When quads came out I quit fooling with upgrading the 4x4 and just used the quad when the going got too snotty. Way faster covering ground and way less repair expenses. Plus being so much smaller they will go where no 4x4 would ever fit.

Tough to beat a skidoo and sleigh for winter trapping, and the right sled will get you better mileage than your Ford pick up anyhow. Plus it will cover the country at least three times as fast.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Tastes may vary...

http://www.mattracks.co/tracks/trucks/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fo...rax-ken-block/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZLrrNmtwic

Last edited by Arty; 03-25-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:02 PM

The track setups are very cool but you aren't going to be driving them on regular roads very often. It is exactly what I said earlier, you can make a 4x4 more offroad capable but you have to give up something.

As far as the Argo, great year round rigs with the advantage they float on lakes and Beaver ponds, but they don't cover ground very fast and take quite a lot of maintenance compared to quads and skidoos. If you can do the work your self, no big deal, if you have to pay to have it done, REAL big deal.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
A couple inches of body lift wont help you at all in the situation in your picture.
I somewhat disagree. I'd rather plow snow with the diff than the body. A lot less surface area with the diff...
Old 03-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

3" of body lift gonna keep you from getting stuck? Seen lifted trucks and factory trucks stuck in the same places. I've never really understood the idea of a lift kit except for using bigger tires. Suppose it might help washing the mud out of the rims as well.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 PM
Banned

Arty, those tracks are probably worth more than my truck!
Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dave quite fartin' around and pin it....can't be gawking when hitting snow drifts

End of the day you gotta get the diffs up they act like a snow plow and build up crap in front unless you pin it and quite fartin' around.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 PM

Fill the back window with Metal Mullisha and Monster Energy stickers. Don't forget to amass a collection of American Fighter T-shirts, white frame sunglasses, and thick gauge silver chains. Don't forget the truck balls!!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

Thank you all for the advice and tips. It's a done deal.

I ordered four Series 5100 Bilstein shocks from these guys:

http://www.bilsteincanada.com/index....478_4487_12973

0-1" lift Rear and 0-2" lift front for $606.48 shipped. The shocks needed to be replaced anyway and when I need new tires I'll go with a larger size.

Now what should I do with my 2017 F150?
Old 03-26-2018, 04:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

0-1" lift Rear and 0-2" lift front for $606.48 shipped. The shocks needed to be replaced anyway and when I need new tires I'll go with a larger size.

Nice! I think you will be pleasantly surprised and happy with the results of such a set-up...

Fr the 2017 now... Slap some nice wheels and tires on that baby and roll on!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 PM

Cheapest way to get through snow is installing a differential carrier like a detroit true trac or a detroit locker.

600-1000$

You replace the carrier alone you can just pop the ring gear on with some new bearings and away you go(with correct backlash of course)

I have run two detroit lockers, spool/detroit, and just a single true trac or detroit locker in the rear.

One locking device or worm gear limited slip device in the rear with 33's or 35's will beat 38's and six inches of lift with open differentials.

If you rock some front and rear worm gear/locker carriers you pretty much turn your vehicle into a bulldozer. Waaaaay easier to shovel out when you got lockers too, you just need to make sure the snow is loose under the pumpkins and axles. When you are open you fight forever to shovel out.

Lockers etc is probably like adding roughly 5 inches of tire. Minus a locker costs 600-1000$ vs 2500$ for tires and 3000$ or more to get lifted.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Hunter Dave, I would call 4 wheel parts in Edmonton or Calgary, they list 5100 series for f150 in there catalog at 115.99 each. Then cancel your order from Bilstein Canada. For the price your paying it should include installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:

You can back out of that with a torsens/true trac or a locker... or maybe 20 mins of much easier shoveling tops.

Just an idea, i see how much people spend to lift on a regular basis yet no matter how high you jack something up unless you fix the factory carrier problem you will still have the two tires with the least amount of traction spinning with open diffs.

Also for deep snow if you can get both sides spinning evenly you can cut through more vs trying to cut with one tire at a time. The capability difference is revolutionairy.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 PM

I considered the Ready Lift kit. There is also the Rough Country kit as well.

I ended up going with the Zones 3” suspension kit for my 2017 HD . Very happy with it.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
Hunter Dave, I would call 4 wheel parts in Edmonton or Calgary, they list 5100 series for f150 in there catalog at 115.99 each. Then cancel your order from Bilstein Canada. For the price your paying it should include installation.
Thanks. I checked it out and they are $58 cheaper in total. There's a 7-10 day wait where I ordered from so I'll just cancel it and drive into the city one day. Owe you a beer!
Old 03-27-2018, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. I checked it out and they are $58 cheaper in total. There's a 7-10 day wait where I ordered from so I'll just cancel it and drive into the city one day. Owe you a beer!
Cheaper yet on a deal for 4 shocks. $513.60 vs $606.48.......Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:22 AM

Check Rock Auto. Last Bilsteins I bought were 110 CDN a shock so 440, plus $30 shipping and handling.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Rockauto

Quote:
Cheaper yet on a deal for 4 shocks. $513.60 vs $606.48.......Thanks again!
Hunter Dave, I just priced shocks from Rockauto, there price shipped to my door ( Parkland County ) 463.45 $

I have purchased lots of parts from them, with no issues.

I was surprised at all the different brands they carry.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

Thanks fellas. I checked out Rock Auto. They did have the best price for the shocks at CAD$543.48 IF I could pick them up. With shipping, GST and duty it put them over the top. I'd also be concerned with whether or not I was going to get hit with a ridiculous brokerage fee from the carrier.

I'm going to go with the $489.14 pick up in the store ones at 4 Wheel Parts. I doubt that I'll find them much cheaper and more convenient to buy than that. Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
Hunter Dave, I just priced shocks from Rockauto, there price shipped to my door ( Parkland County ) 463.45 $

I have purchased lots of parts from them, with no issues.

I was surprised at all the different brands they carry.
What shocks did you check? For BILSTEIN 33186009 and BILSTEIN 24239363 I'm getting CAD$543.48.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What shocks did you check? For BILSTEIN 33186009 and BILSTEIN 24239363 I'm getting CAD$543.48.
Hi Hunter Dave, I used a different shock number, my bad, you have struts in the front.

With the numbers you listed, it worked out to 519.16 delivered.

FYI, I have yet to pay duty on parts from Rock Auto, I do pay GST. they use USPS for delivery then, FED EX in Canada.

The price from 4 wheel parts is excellent, doubt you will find them cheaper.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Cheapest way to get through snow is installing a differential carrier like a detroit true trac or a detroit locker.

[...]
Cheapest way is with chains. The chains are for adding and equalizing driving friction to the ground across both wheels, and are far the best for heavy or very icy going.

Torsens, lockers, etc force both wheels to turn at similar speeds when one slips, so that the wheel with more traction will be better utilized. But the other wheel will still have little to no traction. Chains OTOH give each of both wheels good traction - usually each far better than the best single wheel without chains in a torsen setup.

Of course if you don't like chaining up, or if slippery or deep conditions are rare and short-lived, the torsens are much better than an open diff.