Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Banned

Default What do I need to know about truck lift kits?

I’d like to get a little ground clearance (Maybe 3”?) on my old trapping truck but I know absolutely nothing about lift kits. It’s only to raise the body a bit for driving in snow. The truck isn’t worth sinking a lot of money into so I’m wondering what my options are.

- Is there an alternative to buying a lift kit?
- Is installing it a job that a DIYer could handle?
- Approx cost installed?
- Brand to purchase or avoid?

I’d like to hear whatever you think would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Check out the "ready lift" site. They have a lot of inexpensive suspension lift kits for most vehicles and if you are mechanically inclined, you could do it yourself for under $500.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 PM

What kind of truck? It may be best to put larger diameter tires and trim the fenders to fit.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 PM

If your just wanting to gain body clearance you could look at a body lift with some taller tires.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 PM

80’s lift.......... hockey pucks...
Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Lots of things to consider when installing lift kits. What type and year of truck? What type of lift? Suspension lift? Body lift? Do you like your ride quality and want to keep it or don't mind a stiffer more jarring ride? Handling will be affected as well depending on what work you do, which components you use etc...

Once it is lifted do you plan on running a larger tire to fill the fender well as well as give more ground clearance? Just a loft without taller tires can look pretty silly, and depending on the truck you could maybe pick up and extra inch or two of clearance simply with a taller tire and no lift, or you could maybe combine a small simple levelling kit with a taller tire and get what you want without spending huge.

Many ways to go about it but it comes down to what your budget is against your expectation of results... Not all trucks are as cheap and easy to do as others.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Banned

It’s an ‘05 F150 work truck that I use off-road trapping in the winter and hauling lumber, firewood, etc in the summer. Most of the time i’m Driving gravel roads. The shocks need replacing so I figured that I’d look into a lift kit at the same time. I’m not concerned about the looks of the truck in the least as long as it is functional so 18” wheels looking funny aren’t a problem.

If hockey pucks will get me 3” more body clearance I’m all for it!

What is the difference between a body lift kit and a suspension lift kit?

Last edited by HunterDave; 03-23-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:01 PM

You'll want a suspension lift in order to gain clearance from frame to ground. Body lift won't do squat except make room for bigger tires
Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bee View Post
You'll want a suspension lift in order to gain clearance from frame to ground. Body lift won't do squat except make room for bigger tires
So a body lift kit lifts the body off the frame and a suspension lift kit raises the frame and all? Worth the extra money if that’s the case.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 PM

You have lots of options. Here's one place to start .....

http://www.roughcountry.com/suspensi...ehicle_year=70

Keep in mind, whatever form of lift you use - only a taller tire will give you increased clearance and it's generally 1/2 of the increase in lift compared to the difference in tire height.

You can run a 6" lift kit and keep your factory tires on it and you will gain exactly zero inches of clearance at the differential. So think about it as lift kit plus tires when considering costs.

One thing to consider is a relatively easy 2.5" levelling kit which will allow you to jump up 2" in tire size giving you roughly a 1" increase in clearance. Cheap and easy. IMO it's cheap but you gain very little.

A suspension lift kit will allow a much larger tire but, again, the lift kits (any decent ones for most occasional users like most of us) start at around $1500 and you need to be pretty mechanically inclined and patient (all day install) to do it yourself. There's also the consideration of the price of the new tires as well.

A 4" suspension lift will allow for 35" tires which should be a 4" increase from your 31" factory size tires giving you only 2" of actual clearance (measured to the bottom of the transfer case) but does allow for greater articulation of your suspension.

Anything greater than 4" generally requires other components to be added as your articulation angles change and parts wear out fast if you don't address these as well. I don't know how many guys run a bigger lift, don't address these and end up replacing front end parts.

"Performance" suspension lift kits (those designed to really be used hard) are far more expensive. 4"-6" lift kit with good shocks, springs and heavy components may cost you $4000 or more just for the parts.

It really boils down to how much you want to put into a 2005 and the shape of the truck. If she is still solid and you think she will keep on running strong for a few years - spending some money might be OK.

If she's rough it's almost not worth putting too much money into her - I'd just cut the fenders, replace the shocks and run taller rubber.

Last edited by EZM; 03-23-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:22 PM

Dave I've got a similar truck to yours. I installed a six inch lift and 35's. The difference in capability is huge but it's not cheap and you can expect to replace front end components regularly. The cost would exceed the value of that truck for sure.

My lift is a Fab-Tech and I've never been super happy with it.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 PM

check out 4 wheelparts for your lift. Their prices are pretty good.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/off-road...spensions.aspx

a little bit about lift kits

not bad price
https://www.lowriders.ca/i-18950942-...tegory:1059051

Last edited by ctd; 03-23-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 PM
Banned

Okay, great fellas! The truck isn’t worth buying new wheels for it. So to get 3” of clearance all that I need is one of these?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...to+4.99+Inches
Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Okay, great fellas! The truck isn’t worth buying new wheels for it.
So to get 3” of clearance all that I need is one of these?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensi...to+4.99+Inches
This place has it for $650 with FREE SHIPPING across Canada...

https://www.tdotperformance.ca/skyja...3-in-lift.html

Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I’m not concerned about the looks of the truck in the least as long as it is functional so 18” wheels looking funny aren’t a problem.
You can have 20" tires on 18" wheels or 40" tires on 18" wheels, the wheel size does not matter. Keep in mind your truck has rake in stock form, usually sits around 2.5" higher in the rear. Your best bang for the buck clearance wise is to level the truck so the front sits same height as the rear and then fit the biggest tire you can in there. It would probably be a 33" or possibly 35" with some fender trimming.
If you lift the truck and do not add bigger tires you will not gain any clearance on your diffs, making it pointless to lift the truck since that is your lowest point on the truck.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Sell you 05 Ford and Buy a 1996 to 2002, inclusive, Dodge 3/4 or one ton. You will get enough clearance to run 35" tires without having to do anything to the truck. There are lots of relatively low mileage ones for sale, and if you want a pretty one look in the South Western states where there is no rust.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 AM
AO Sponsor

I would have to agree with Kyle here... I can't tell you how many guys come in regretting going with the full sized lift kits. The expense plus the wear and tear on everything else over time, the ride and handling difference etc is not always what a lot of people expect and is not what they were going for. Don't get me wrong though... If you know what you are getting into and it is what you want then go for it, but for the average guy who just wants a bit more clearance, there are better ways to go that are more cost effective, functional and don't kill the other aspects of your usability you might appreciate.

The nice thing with F150's of that era is that the fit taller tires pretty easy, even at stock height. Put a simple level kit on and a taller tire (if you have 18's maybe look at going with something like a 285/70R18 or close to it) and you will keep costs more in check and your truck will still behave and not kill front end components constantly all while giving you better clearances like you are hoping for.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM

If you do end up going with a lift of any kind please make sure to adjust your headlights! This is one thing that sometimes gets forgotten, other motorists will thank you, good luck in your search!
Old 03-24-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I’d like to get a little ground clearance (Maybe 3”?) on my old trapping truck but I know absolutely nothing about lift kits. It’s only to raise the body a bit for driving in snow. The truck isn’t worth sinking a lot of money into so I’m wondering what my options are.

- Is there an alternative to buying a lift kit?
- Is installing it a job that a DIYer could handle?
- Approx cost installed?
- Brand to purchase or avoid?

I’d like to hear whatever you think would be helpful. Thanks.
"Slightly" more aggressive tires, no lift kit and a strong Warn winch would be a cheaper option. Plus you'd retain stock driving condition of the truck without the added expense of wearing out parts.

But that's just what I would do.....

And any additional money saved could go to a quad with tracks that will float you anywhere that ANY truck will not go (or shouldn't be)

Just other options, that's all.

J.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Bigger tires

Another thing to consider if you just want to change tire sizes, is your differential gearing. Changing a tire size up or down an inch or so doesn’t affect much, but going from a 31” tall tire to a 35” tall tire will. Now if it is just a bush truck I suppose you can just leave it in 4low all the time. But on a hiway or towing anything it will just be a dog. Powering out on hills, etc.
I had an 85 Chevy and I put a 4” suspension lift on it. When I went from 30.5” tall tires to 35” tires I had to go from the factory 3.07 gears to 3.73 gears to keep the engine rpm roughly the same at 100 kph. It had a 3 speed std with the granny low tranny in it though, so not a lot of gear choices. I also had to have a longer front driveshaft made, as the extra height pulled the splines out to near the end of them and they didn’t last very long.
And as was said earlier, bigger,heavier wheels and tires tear apart front ends. I was doing ball joints every summer.

Trevor.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I would have to agree with Kyle here... I can't tell you how many guys come in regretting going with the full sized lift kits. The expense plus the wear and tear on everything else over time, the ride and handling difference etc is not always what a lot of people expect and is not what they were going for. Don't get me wrong though... If you know what you are getting into and it is what you want then go for it, but for the average guy who just wants a bit more clearance, there are better ways to go that are more cost effective, functional and don't kill the other aspects of your usability you might appreciate.

The nice thing with F150's of that era is that the fit taller tires pretty easy, even at stock height. Put a simple level kit on and a taller tire (if you have 18's maybe look at going with something like a 285/70R18 or close to it) and you will keep costs more in check and your truck will still behave and not kill front end components constantly all while giving you better clearances like you are hoping for.
100% agreed here. I had a 5" suspension lift kit on 2015 GMC allowing me to comfortably run 33" tires (up from the factory 30" tires) giving me actual (or effective) clearance improvement to the tune of about another 1.5" which was great for a GMC. I did some hard miles with that truck and the front end started to get sloppy at about 80,000km.

On my 2017 Ford - it has a 3.25" front and 2" rear levelling kit and I currently run a 34" Tire which has given me, in fact, MORE effective clearance than that of the GMC for about $2500 less. I've run it just as hard so far and it's still rock solid tight (I have about 70,000 km already).

The rake on the truck is hardly noticeable now - it's not quite "levelled" but it's pretty darn close and definitely flatter compared to factory rake.

GMC's will generally need "more lift" to accomplish the same thing you can in in a Ford.

It just makes sense that your articulation angles change less, therefore your front ends "wear less" compared to a higher suspension lift. That is a huge consideration.

I really prefer the ride, interior comforts and aesthetics of the GMC but the Ford is a far cheaper to turn into a more capable vehicle with better clearances.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice, fellas. I have a better understanding of what I think I'll do. I should have mentioned that this is only for a bit of clearance when driving in snow covered fields and I won't be doing any serious mud bogging. The truck goes pretty much everywhere that I want it to go except in deeper snow in fields.

I'm thinking that a 3" suspension lift kit and buying bigger tires like tirebob suggested when the current 265 Duratracs wear out. That ought to be about all that I'm looking for. The price seems reasonable and it looks relatively easy to install.

Thanks FishOutOfWater. I'll likely buy this kit:

Old 03-24-2018, 12:58 PM

On a IFS f150 a 2” level will give an extra 2” clearance below the front diff crossmember. Add 3” larger tires and you have 3.5” more clearance in the front for a very minor cost. Past that point a full lift on an IFS truck is a PITA and doesn’t give any more clearance than what the tires you install can give.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Pretty much.

Just taking some rake out of the truck with Bilstein 1500 circlip adjustables will give you a little more chassis & bumper to ground clearance without killing the suspension or ride, and you can easily put taller tires on that truck to give it more differential clearance. The speedo will be affected a bit though. Lots of room (maybe too much) is built into the wheel wells with the stock 17's and HD suspension. Change out the fronts and rears at the same time.
http://www.bilsteincanada.com/bilstein-5100-shocks.php Been there, done that.

You might want to replace several of the other front end suspension components with oem type from ford or rockauto at this time too, to tighten up the front end. If you have to pop out the coil assemblies to change shocks anyway, take the opportunity to swap out stuff which might in questionable condition. Things do wear out without being immediately noticeable. Parts are relatively cheap and the work is straightforward.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:43 PM

Do some hard research. Those F150’s list a lot of 3” kits but the reality is most of them are for 2wd models. A 2.5” kit is all you can run reliably without eating up your CV joints. The F150 trucks were popular in the us as sand and desert trucks hence the variety of lifts for them. Do a cheap 2.5 inch spacer lift or run a fab tech lift like the other mentioned. No offence but you don’t sound like you really have much of an idea of what you want or need and research will be your friend before spending money. Regardless that lift is a waste when you can buy the rear block kit for 200 bucks from pro comp and Bilstein adjustable shock struts for $160 each. If you’d like PM me a phone number and we can chat - there is lots to go over and options for that truck. Talking from years spent in the sales and building of off road vehicles and a continual hobbyist.

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice, fellas. I have a better understanding of what I think I'll do. I should have mentioned that this is only for a bit of clearance when driving in snow covered fields and I won't be doing any serious mud bogging. The truck goes pretty much everywhere that I want it to go except in deeper snow in fields.

I'm thinking that a 3" suspension lift kit and buying bigger tires like tirebob suggested when the current 265 Duratracs wear out. That ought to be about all that I'm looking for. The price seems reasonable and it looks relatively easy to install.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:

My pleasure. Cheers !

Old 03-24-2018, 04:11 PM

As others have said, unless you go with a proper suspension lift, any spacer kit will make your ride quality a lot worse. I have one now (bought it used this way) and can't wait to swap it for a suspension kit. Will prob lower it from 3" (nominal) to 2 or 2.5" also, for the sake of the front-end components mainly.

Bilstein makes excellent relatively low cost shocks and coilovers.

Also remember regarding the bigger tires ideas, that while they do improve off-road capability, the size and weight reduce MPG and worsen handling. Just so you can consider the trade-off's. Lifting ain't all roses and there's a cost to going cheap.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan71 View Post
Do some hard research. Those F150’s list a lot of 3” kits but the reality is most of them are for 2wd models. A 2.5” kit is all you can run reliably without eating up your CV joints. The F150 trucks were popular in the us as sand and desert trucks hence the variety of lifts for them. Do a cheap 2.5 inch spacer lift or run a fab tech lift like the other mentioned. No offence but you don’t sound like you really have much of an idea of what you want or need and research will be your friend before spending money. Regardless that lift is a waste when you can buy the rear block kit for 200 bucks from pro comp and Bilstein adjustable shock struts for $160 each. If you’d like PM me a phone number and we can chat - there is lots to go over and options for that truck. Talking from years spent in the sales and building of off road vehicles and a continual hobbyist.
I may take you up on calling you to tap into your knowledge. You're right, I don't know a darned thing about any of it. I was hoping for a simple solution to lifting my truck a few inches but obviously, there are many alternatives......lift kits, leveling kits, spacers, shocks......

So, you're saying that a 2.5" is as high as I should go and a 3" suspension lift kit could potentially damage my front end?

My current tires are good so I won't go out and buy 4 new tires until these ones wear out.......New tires isn't going to happen. I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for a little clearance so the spacers that you mentioned might be a good option but.....I have to replace all four shocks anyway. Maybe just get the lift type shocks?

All that I'm looking for is a few inches of body lift (Without buying new tires) to give me a little more body clearance in snow (the height of the differential doesn't matter).

Old 03-24-2018, 11:37 PM

10-4. It’s not a potential it’s a garauntee. Any lift WILL damage your front end it’s just a matter of how quickly and will it be noticeable.

Spacer lifts, struts, levelling kits are all basically different ways of doing the same thing. It just depends on the type of suspension. That truck uses control arms with a strut where as Chevy used control arms with a torsion bar and key.

Back in 08 when I went to do this to my 06 the lead tech at the time said no way. Think of it this way - normal trucks front end articulates between position 1 and 10 with normal ride level being at 5. When you used a strut or spacer lift or keys you are basically sacrificing positions 1 and 2 and setting the normal ride position to 7. So now you can jounce between positions 3-7, but only rebound between positions 7-10. The problem arises when normal operation requires movement of a couple position, but operating in the 8 position which would normally not become a problem due to lack of use now becomes a common position to be driving in. Basically your Ball joints and CV joints are now routinely operating at angles that previously only would have happened in harsh conditions. I hope this makes sense I’m not very good at explaining via text.

Snow bashing or snow wheeling is one of the hardest types of off road conditions. Because snow does not evacuate from tread or chassis voids in the same way that mud or dirt would it’s increasingly difficult to get traction. Basically if you can’t ride above the snow - it piles up underneath until your wheels lose traction. Most dedicated snow rigs are using massive tires and huge amounts of lift with powerful motors. I fear that for the conditions you are looking to drive in the expense of a marginal lift kit will leave you dissatisfied. That truck will only be able to run 33.5 inch tires which are only 2” taller than what you have now. Split that difference and it’s only “lifting” you an inch. Spacer or level kits are great for improving the stance and creating better entry/departure angles but they do little for over all clear. Snow wheeling is all about clearance where as general off roading your entry and departure angles and “picking a line” are more importing. I know you said you’re only concerned about the body but it’s likely that when you get stuck it’s actuslly from pile or snow under your control arms and differential.

So long story short - cheap snow chains will serve you way better than a small lift and marginal tire change. Until you move up to 4”-6” with 35” tires you probably won’t notice much.

Last edited by Duncan71; 03-24-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:38 PM

Snow chains. Traction ramps. Tow points. Winch. Winch anchor will all serve you better I think.