Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 PM

Default E-Caller or Hand Call

Hey guys I am a total newbe at coyote hunting. I would like to purchase my first call and would like your opinion as to which direction I should go. I will be a very casual hunter as in a couple three times a season. Would you recommend an E-Caller or Hand caller? and which brand to start out with? I don't want to spend a lot of money, just want to experience the hunt.
Thanks for the input.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 PM

I favor hand calls, far more versatile as far as I am concerned. But there is a learning curve with them and lots of practice makes perfect. E callers are nice in that you can move them away from yourself and draw attention to a different direction than yourself. E callers have made it possible for people that suck at calling to get dogs.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM

if you are casual and only three times a year. I would recommend a hand call. I believe i have the primos rabbit distress hand calls. They work well. Easy to learn them. I also use a mouse squeaker. another good recommendation.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM

If you are only going to go out a few times a year just get yourself a couple hand calls.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking. If you could only have 2 calls which two would you pick?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Probably a predator quest ruffi dawg and primos mouse squeaker.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Probably a predator quest ruffi dawg and primos mouse squeaker.
Gonna head out tomorrow and see what I can find at the stores. Been watching a ton of videos on you tube and can't wait to give it a try.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Gonna head out tomorrow and see what I can find at the stores. Been watching a ton of videos on you tube and can't wait to give it a try.
Just remember to sit down wind from where you are expecting them to come from, wear camo that blends in and only move your eyes.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Just remember to sit down wind from where you are expecting them to come from, wear camo that blends in and only move your eyes.
Will do. I'm sure I will get busted and not even know it, but I just want to experience the rush of actually getting one in and being outside.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking. If you could only have 2 calls which two would you pick?
Primos Hot Dawg and Lil Dawg set will make every sound you would want. Rabbit, howls, barks, pup in distress, magpie, they cover it all.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 PM

I’m sure most calls out there will have about the same effect. Just practice with the ones you get. I like the duel howler, and a handmade call from RedFrog. One call I won’t leave home without, is the primos kiyi, good for rabbit distress and pup distress.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Default A little of both...

I am a beginner too and want to master hand calls but until then I went and bought an entry level ecaller for $100. It helps mix it up when calling alone. Icotec300. It called this one in on my first stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote.jpg (69.6 KB, 75 views)

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Primos Hot Dawg and Lil Dawg set will make every sound you would want. Rabbit, howls, barks, pup in distress, magpie, they cover it all.
I would agree with this. The primos howlers are great calls. Though I would say go with a hot dog and a closed reed rabbit call as they are simple for new hunters to run.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-20-2017, 05:38 AM

I also favour hand calls , but have an e caller that gets some use . You've had some great advice on this thread so far and we look forward to pics .
Old 12-20-2017, 06:58 AM

I like e-callers , if for nothing else than I can set them up away from me, so the coyotes are not looking directly at me.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:57 PM

I use both regularly. Got to keep a variety of sounds and tones!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:29 PM

The problem with some hand calls is they can freeze up in the cold weather.
Especially ones with a metal reed.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Sitting Bull, if you’re interested at all I’ll throw an offer to take you out if you like. I’m in the Edmonton area too and it’s been quite a long time since I took a newbie out. A shamefully long time actually. I’ve got all the gear(more than necessary) and enough for two people. Hand calls, e-caller, decoys, extra camo, you name it. I’ve got multiple varmint rifles if you wanted to run one of mine, the choice is yours. I’m no Les Johnson but I’ve got my poop in a group, a pile of access and a pretty tidy sum of verm under my belt year to year. Offer is there if you want.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Good luck, Sitting Bull!

I use the Primos Cottontail/Jackrabbit in Distress calls and a Mouse Squeaker. I have some howlers, but I rarely crack them out. Can't wait to crack them out next month!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:05 PM

A couple years back I used to spend every winter day hunting coyotes,mostly calling.My thoughts are e-callers will and do call coyotes,the battery's die when ya really need them and coyotes are getting e call shy.There is a pile of commercial calls readily available that work as well but you will move into a whole new category of success using custom calls.Forget the closed reed,they freeze and you are limited to the sounds you can make on them.Get a custom open reed and learn how to use it.Once mastered they can make any sound a coyote makes,howls ,whines ,yelps ,predator distress,wood pecker and more. A wooden call has a sound like any other,harder the wood,better the sound.How many plastic violins are made???Clarinets,oboe's? They all use wood.One of the best calls I have ever bought is made by Kerry Carver of carver calls.A great guy and his calls are as good as they get,surprisingly cheap shipped right to your door. Ask for the Rabid Rabbit tone board.
Remember no matter call is used,you can fool their eyes,you can fool their ears but you will never ever fool their nose.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
A couple years back I used to spend every winter day hunting coyotes,mostly calling.My thoughts are e-callers will and do call coyotes,the battery's die when ya really need them and coyotes are getting e call shy.There is a pile of commercial calls readily available that work as well but you will move into a whole new category of success using custom calls.Forget the closed reed,they freeze and you are limited to the sounds you can make on them.Get a custom open reed and learn how to use it.Once mastered they can make any sound a coyote makes,howls ,whines ,yelps ,predator distress,wood pecker and more. A wooden call has a sound like any other,harder the wood,better the sound.How many plastic violins are made???Clarinets,oboe's? They all use wood.One of the best calls I have ever bought is made by Kerry Carver of carver calls.A great guy and his calls are as good as they get,surprisingly cheap shipped right to your door. Ask for the Rabid Rabbit tone board.
Remember no matter call is used,you can fool their eyes,you can fool their ears but you will never ever fool their nose.
So very true.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Hey guys I am a total newbe at coyote hunting. I would like to purchase my first call and would like your opinion as to which direction I should go. I will be a very casual hunter as in a couple three times a season. Would you recommend an E-Caller or Hand caller? and which brand to start out with? I don't want to spend a lot of money, just want to experience the hunt.
Thanks for the input.
Try this one.. Its the Pirmos Alpha Dogg and its amazing!

http://amzn.to/2BRDlk2
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 PM

Default Predator Calls

I use hand calls and diaphragm calls. You will never go wrong with "rabbit in distress"
Hand calls always work
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Try this one.. Its the Pirmos Alpha Dogg and its amazing!

http://amzn.to/2BRDlk2
Not a big fan myself. No knock on my fabulous hunting partner but his sounds like the speakers may be blown and he hasn't had it long. He still calls them in so must not be too bad hahaha. I really like my foxpro inferno. Pretty basic but easy to carry, excellent sound quality and carries pretty well. Could use a little more volume but I've never been upset with it. They go on sale often enough at cableas as well. I also carry hand calls. They're cheap and easy to use. I like open reed calls. ALWAYS pack a hand call as you never know when the electronics will let you down. And extra batteries....