Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Default ARROWS should I switch ?

Thinking of trying a smaller diameter of arrow this year I shoot carbon express maxima hunter 350 and blue streak 350 now , thinking maybe Vaps or Fmj or maybe others ? What's your thoughts ?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM

I've shot the vaps both with the half outsert and with just target points glued in both are very fast. the problem I found with the outserts is that they can bend fairly easily and then the arrow is done.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 PM

I sure like ACC.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Banned

FMJ, ACC, both great shafts. I would go with the new small diameter shafts if I was just starting out, but if I have to switch all my gear over to the Deep Six it's going to cost me a fortune.

The only reason I shoot these shafts is because they are carbon/aluminum shafts and I'm scared of blowing a carbon shaft thru my hand by accident one day. Often times I'll have an arrow slap another arrow when I'm shooting, I might not always catch a cracked shaft. For the extra $2 or so an arrow I'd rather just have some aluminum in there. Plus, with the aluminum you usually get a couple extra gpi in there so I can keep my arrows around the 465gr mark.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 PM

Default Arrows

So will I also increase my speed along with penetration with the full metal jackets compared to my carbon express maxima hunter ?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
So will I also increase my speed along with penetration with the full metal jackets compared to my carbon express maxima hunter ?
Depends on what fmj weight you pick. You KE/penetration wouldnt change very much. The smaller diameter advantages are there but they are small. If you needed new arrows you could make the change, but its a costly change if you have arrows you like now and they kill just fine.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Banned

I doubt you'll pick up speed, but the FMJ's have tighter tolerances than the blues, chances are you'll pick up accuracy if you measure in millimeters or shoot long distances.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I doubt you'll pick up speed, but the FMJ's have tighter tolerances than the blues, chances are you'll pick up accuracy if you measure in millimeters or shoot long distances.
I weighed my Blues last year there was 1...thats one Grain differance in the whole dozen...Had I blown the spec of dust off that one rogue arrow it most likely weighed in the same...lol

With the Maxima Blue streaks...
•Matched Set – All Maxima Blue Streak® 6- and 12-pack sets are sorted and matched by weight and spine for best-in-class consistency. Spine selection sorting tolerance is +/- 0.0025". Weight sorting tolerance is +/-1.0 grains.
•Real Straightness – Every Maxima Blue Streak® arrow is laser checked for straightness to a remarkable 1/10,000 of an inch. Maxima Blue Streak® straightness of +/- 0.0025" is a maximum measurement, not an average.

The Easton FMJ
•Guaranteed Straightness: ± .002

So I wouldnt say FMJ has better tolerances than the Blue Streaks...

The FMJ can also bend and stay bent...

Personal experiance is if I can blow a Maxima Blue straight thru a tuff elk ten yards beyond into six inchs of earth...I gotta ask myself is the FMJ gonna go 12 yards beyond a pass thru and stick 7 inches into the dirt?...meanwhile the Elk dont care he is stone cold....lol

Both Awesome shafts... both have their advantages...is the FMJ safer...maybe ...but everyone should check their arrows often as part of their shooting routine...

JMHO
Neil
Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM

You can run deep six in VAPs, I run them personally and have found them to be a great arrow combination. Have ran A/C Injections and really like them as well.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Default Arrows

So I went and bought a couple 340 FMJ so I could compare them to my Cx blue streaks 350 and CX maxima hunter 350, at 20 yards they shoot the same for penetration tried over and over on a new target and there was no difference what so ever , waste of money , on the victory vap arrows my buddy shoots it a huge difference they penetrate a lot more then my CX, I am guessing because of diameter ?
Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
So I went and bought a couple 340 FMJ so I could compare them to my Cx blue streaks 350 and CX maxima hunter 350, at 20 yards they shoot the same for penetration tried over and over on a new target and there was no difference what so ever , waste of money , on the victory vap arrows my buddy shoots it a huge difference they penetrate a lot more then my CX, I am guessing because of diameter ?
The smaller dia..will penertrate better due to less fricton on targets...

Neil
Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 AM

I use Carbon express Piledriver Extreme Passthru. As you already like the Carbon express product, I would suggest giving them a try. Definitely hit hard with the extra 44 grains on the front end.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/a...s-thru-extreme
Old 05-05-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
I use Carbon express Piledriver Extreme Passthru. As you already like the Carbon express product, I would suggest giving them a try. Definitely hit hard with the extra 44 grains on the front end.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/a...s-thru-extreme
Makes for an easier tuning arrow broadhhead set up also!!!

Neil
Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Im spittin' the pile driver pass thru extreme's

seem to work very nice outta of the mamba.

muzzy trocar, and slicktricks all seem to follow the field points so far.