Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Banned

Default Do Beavers Sink or Float?

In the old days I used to shoot muskrats and they would float there till the dog retrieved it. Flash foreward 50 years and I have a beaver pond where I could shoot some beavers but don't have a dog to retrieve it. I can rig up a fishing rod with a large treble hook to retrieve a shot beaver, but not if it sinks to the bottom of pond. So, do they float or sink (head shot)?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 PM

Both. I try to get them next to shore if I can. Had some sink and had some float. Had some float then sink within 4 min as well. I don't like shooting them unless I know for sure I can hit them good and they are within a stick length from shore myself.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
In the old days I used to shoot muskrats and they would float there till the dog retrieved it. Flash foreward 50 years and I have a beaver pond where I could shoot some beavers but don't have a dog to retrieve it. I can rig up a fishing rod with a large treble hook to retrieve a shot beaver, but not if it sinks to the bottom of pond. So, do they float or sink (head shot)?
I agree , Both , but usually they float if head shot . I think the few that I lose I didn't make a good enough shot to kill immediately .
Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Gone Hunting

I've had some float and some sink as well. Depends on what you shoot them with and how big the hole is.

be careful shooting on a pond. Ricochet is a hazard.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM

If they do sink give it a couple of hours or check next morning. Unless just wounded they will build up with gas and float up later.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
If they do sink give it a couple of hours or check next morning. Unless just wounded they will build up with gas and float up later.
X2 I've had them sink in the afternoon and picked them up the next morning floating most times they will float within a couple hrs
Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Getting beavers to float

its all bullet placement you literally gotta destroy a dime size target, a good brain shot they will float but still be snappy on the retrieve , back of head where the motor control part of the brain swimming away from you i find the best shot or just in front of the ear on a sideways shot, on river hunts best be in a stable boat with two people and work downstream camo the front of the boat [weeds, branches etc] so you can kneel with a rest and shoot down and use an electric motor if you are quite you can sneak up to beavers pulled out on the bank at dusk easy pickings , when you smack em in the water and if he starts to kick you got seconds before his head sinks and is gone in the current but most times they just float and you can scoop them up in a net i custom built mine for the abuse , the cheaper 22 mag Winchester jacketed 40 gr. hollow points are what i used with the best results , but i like my square iron, way more beavers
Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 PM

Default Beavers float?

If brain shot they will float for a little bit until they start rolling. If lung shot, kiss them good bye. They dive and tangle, might float back up later, but fur will surely have slipped by then. Any 17 HMR is the ticket for beaver. never shoot in the back of the head, you will leave burn lines the length of the pelt. Always aim for the just below the ear, you can miss a bit up, down , right, or left this way. Far easier to trap then shoot though IMO.

Spruce
Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Default beaver

if you shoot them in the nose they cant go underwater, they will swim to the nearest bank, log etc and climb up, shoot them in the head and there they stay.