Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Default Seneker snare springs

Have any of you guys tried a different lock other than a cam lock with your seneker springs? I was thinking of puting a micro lock on some. Not sure if using that type of lock on them would defeat the purpose? Also not sure if they would fit right either. I had some major issues up north this year with my cam locks and don't want to use them on my registered line due to them freezing up on me. I think Micros would be a better choice
Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM

I know what your saying Nube , had lots of frozen locks this year , looking at some options also ! Very frustrating to repeatedly have to beat them open and reset , only to have it happen a week later !

Not sure if the fit would be correct, or if it would fall as quickly as a properly set normal lock
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM

If possible place a dry leaf over the lock. But that doesn't stop your snare loop icing up and slowing or binding any lock system up.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Banned

I think that I'm going to do a bit of experimentation in the freezer this summer. I meant to try glycerin on my cam locks this winter but I never got around to it. It won't help with frost on the cable but I've been told that it'll help to keep the locks unfrozen. A small bottle with an eye dropper sounds like an easy fix to me.

No matter the type or size of the cam lock, will they not freeze under the same conditions regardless? What is the advantage of going to a micro lock wrt freezing? Inquiring minds need to know.....lol.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that I'm going to do a bit of experimentation in the freezer this summer. I meant to try glycerin on my cam locks this winter but I never got around to it. It won't help with frost on the cable but I've been told that it'll help to keep the locks unfrozen. A small bottle with an eye dropper sounds like an easy fix to me.

No matter the type or size of the cam lock, will they not freeze under the same conditions regardless? What is the advantage of going to a micro lock wrt freezing? Inquiring minds need to know.....lol.
I think with cam locks it's your lock that freezes up (steel to steel) rather that your lock freezing to the cable. With a micro all it needs to is slide. I did spend some time with a trapper in southern alberta. He s not much of a snaremen but lethal with foot traps. He's theory was using a bigger lock with smaller cable and getting it to slide. But then you have water heads and live catches. Even if your cam lock slides it's acts like a relaxing lock because it's still froze up. Looking back I don't think a had too much of a problem. How often do you add glycerin
Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 AM
AO Sponsor

I think I have the answer, but it'll take time, I'll have to build it. It'll take $$$ too. Don't give up and switch to crappy locks yet.

(Boy, that was tough... How smart do we all think we are?)
Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM

The swing arm on the cam lock is what was freezing up Dave. I t wouldn't slide at all and I think because the arm can't move then it is hard for the cable to slide. I missed 7 lynx this year because of it. Had some freeze up here at home on my coyote snares as well but for some reason the 1/16 camlocks were the major issue. I'm going to try micros this year for my lynx