Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Caribou Hunts

I'm booked for August in Nunavut. Just wanting to hear some stories or anything about caribou to help prep for the trip.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Definitely bring a bug net or bug spray . good boots that are worn in are you bow hunting or rifle hunting or both. If you're fishing for char bring a fly rod easier to pack spinning rod pixee spoons

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 05:47 PM

I will be rifle hunting near Hudson's bay. Will be doing some fishing if we are able to tag out early. First guided trip for me, so it will be an adventure either way. I've spent the past year prepping and gathering gear. About 5 months to go now. Time to start training and shooting.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Are you going with Weber's

Old 04-04-2018, 10:14 AM

If your Guide does a good job and you're very happy with him don't forget to tip him.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Caribou

How have the numbers been since the crash? Plenty of guys are coming back from Manitoba without even seeing a bou. Caribou hunting provides incredible scenery, the North is a place of solitude. I hope you have a great hunt.
Are you hunting George river herd?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 PM

I think we are hunting the Wager Bay herd if I remember correctly. From what I have heard the numbers are good. I heard the stories about Manitoba, and that's why I looked further north. I'm really excited to see some country that I have never been exposed to before. Sounds like an amazing place to see.

I am not going with Webber.

Thanks for the info and feedback!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:41 PM

I went to Manitoba in 2013. It was a great year...all the outfitters were 100% if I remember right. The caribou didn't migrate down for some reason until after the season closed in 2014 and 2015. There are some resident caribou in Northern Manitoba and some of the hunters had some success, but many did not. Last year the caribou migrated down as they have in the past and hunters did very well and had another great year. Based on how unpredictable caribou can be, if I go back it will be to Nunavut where they can be hunted before they migrate.

I assume you will be hunting from a boat...most hunts up there are boat hunts. Be sure to have a good cushion or boat seat. You can take a pounding if the water is rough, which it is more often than not. When I went they had very nice boat seats with backs, but it was still tough after a day out. I did a boat hunt for moose the following year and just assumed they would have good seats...wrong! I sat on the metal boat seat, but couldn't take it for very long after the first day. I tried sitting on life vests, an extra coat I'd brought, etc., but it wasn't very comfortable. I couldn't wait for the stops when we'd get out and hike and call for moose.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 AM

After 25 years of guiding Caribou moose elk deer bear the most thing I found when Hunters would come into Camp was things they didn't know about the camp ask your Outfitter lots of questions he will answer them

Old 04-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
I went to Manitoba in 2013. It was a great year...all the outfitters were 100% if I remember right. The caribou didn't migrate down for some reason until after the season closed in 2014 and 2015. There are some resident caribou in Northern Manitoba and some of the hunters had some success, but many did not. Last year the caribou migrated down as they have in the past and hunters did very well and had another great year. Based on how unpredictable caribou can be, if I go back it will be to Nunavut where they can be hunted before they migrate.

I assume you will be hunting from a boat...most hunts up there are boat hunts. Be sure to have a good cushion or boat seat. You can take a pounding if the water is rough, which it is more often than not. When I went they had very nice boat seats with backs, but it was still tough after a day out. I did a boat hunt for moose the following year and just assumed they would have good seats...wrong! I sat on the metal boat seat, but couldn't take it for very long after the first day. I tried sitting on life vests, an extra coat I'd brought, etc., but it wasn't very comfortable. I couldn't wait for the stops when we'd get out and hike and call for moose.

I hunted Munroe in 2014, there were plenty of Caribou and I believe they were 100%. I do know from speaking with them that 2015 was not a very productive year.