Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Default where do people go to book hunts

hey everyone, I'm getting into outfitting, I have a decent client list, which are from previous guiding. however I am new to booking the hunts and finding hunters. any suggestions? if you are booking a hunt, other then just googling, where do you look?

berta
Old 04-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Many people use booking agents. The better ones only book with clients with outfitters that they know to be reputable. I have used a booking agent, and never a surprise.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Most of mine I have booked direct based on internet research, website and referral checks or through referrals from friends. I have twice used Shockey's Book Your Hunt Service for hunts in Texas. They were not a lot of help in booking, that is done direct with the outfitter, the big advantage is they pre-qualify the outfitter and guarantee they will cover you if you end up with problems. Never had any problems so don't know how good the guarantee is.

Issue with them is, they do not charge the hunter a fee, so the outfitter has to be the one paying the costs and I have heard that some of the booking fees can be as high as 30%. I have no idea what Jim Shockey charges the outfitter for hunts booked through his service.

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/outfitt...ing-adventures

One thing for sure, the better job you do of setting up and maintaining your website, the more likely you are to attract new clients. It is worth paying a professional to do this if you don't have really good web skills. As you already know, word of mouth is probably the cheapest and surest way to pick up new clients. Best of luck in your new venture.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM

I know a few guys that have booked with Bowhunting Safari Consultants and have had great results.

http://bowhuntingsafari.com/

It looks like they have quite a few reputable outfitters listed from all around the world.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:03 AM

A consultant will charge the outfitter a percentage, but they can also fill hunts that the outfitter hasn't sold, or when the hunter cancelled at the last minute. I used Jack Atcheson & Sons on a regular basis to hunt other provinces and the US, and I almost always purchased last minute cancellations, or hunts that didn't sell only a short time before the hunt. With cancelled hunts, the hunter had already paid 50% as a deposit, or in some cases 100%, so I was able to buy the hunts for 50% or even less, and the outfitter still made money that would have been lost if the hunts went unsold. I haven't used an outfitter in many years though, so I don't know who the best consultants are these days.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Default I have used this

Hi: I subscribed and used this http://www.huntingreport.com/. They have reviews on outfitters that MAY be useful. It is all past history though.
Timing your hunt is also an important consideration.

When we went to South Africa we timed our hunt to coincide with the Kudu rut. As a result, we saw 10 shooter bulls each day. The same rule applies to any hunt if you are there at the exact right time, success will help you deal with less than perfect outfitters.

We went with Lucca Safaris in South Africa and it was a great hunt, once in a lifetime experience in a game rich environment...made better because our focus animal (kudu) was very visible.

Hoopi
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM

You’re website first and foremost is by far the most important. It’s the number one place people go check you out even if they hear about you from a friend. Make sure you invest in a good website and a quality hosting company that knows the hunting industry. If you’re thinking about creating your own on ”Weebly”, don’t do it. They look like chit and first impressions are huge in this game. Pay the cash and get one done right. $5-7,000 Canadian for the site including a digital logo design is not unrealistic for what to expect. Remember that everybody that hears about you is going directly to your website to check you out, a cheap website with outdated pictures and very little info can lose potential clients.

#2 is SOCIAL MEDIA ! Facebook, Instagram, Twitter!
All annoying, all very important when building a fallowing. Not nearly as important for the age 50+ hunters you’re trying to attract, very important for the under 40 crowd that will be your future clientele. Even if the people on these platforms aren’t booking now, when they do you want them thinking of you ! Post pictures, pictures and more pictures! Everybody loves pictures. Also don’t ignore forums filled with your target clientele, this stuff can take years to build. It’s definitely about endurance, it’s not a sprint.

#3 TV shows ! Pick the right one and it’s great, pick the wrong one and it’s a complete waste of time and money. Don’t be afraid to change them up and work with who produces results for you. We just dumped a show we’ve worked with off and on for 14 years. The host is getting too comfortable because of his position and isn’t grinding to be the best anymore, so they’re gone. We’ll resume that medium when we find the right fit. Just a heads up but you’ll be contacted by plenty of bottom feeders looking for free shows, be very picky !!!

#4 magazine’s (print and online) These are very expensive places to draw in hunters, but if you pick the right magazine then you’re hitting your target audience hard. For example “Petersons hunting” for a 1/4 Page ad if you advertise in all 13 issues for the year will cost you about $40,000 Canadian. Unless you’re very confident it’s going to book you well over $300,000 in sales per year then it doesn’t make sense. Online ads are cheaper but still expensive for what you get. Take this page you’re reading right now. Without looking up could you name two of the banner sponsors on it ? In the right place it’s gold, in the wrong spot it’s just money wasted.

#5 Booking agents ! Some are great, some aren’t. Some of the best out there charge crazy commission rates in my opinion. I’ve been approached by guys wanting to charge up to 20% off the top. When you’re only making 40% profit at best on some hunts it’s really tough to give away half your margin. That being said if you can’t book the hunt, something is always better then nothing. I’ve watched far too many Outfitters not sell hunts out of pride because they were not going to do the hunt at a discounted rate under any circumstances. Well I’ll tell you one thing, some is always better then none !
Beware of the new/no name booking agent that wants to come experience what you have to offer. Many have been taken advantage of and got nothing in return.
10% commission is all I will pay and if a booking agent wants to check out my operation for the first time then they will pay just like anybody else to hunt. If they are serious and able to perform they will make that money back in no time !

#6 Outdoors Shows ! (Bah bah bahhhhh )
They are expensive, the best ones are hard to get into, and they are exhausting !!! But you will talk to a lot of hunters face to face in a short amount of time. If you’re planning on entering the bigger shows even if it’s down the road get applying now. DSC and SCI have waiting lists over 5 years now unless you offer something really different. If all you have is Whitetail and Black Bear you might not get in period, or it will cost you big money in donated hunts or buying your way in. The smaller shows can be good as well, but you have to move around and find the right ones. Forget any shows in Canada, they are a complete waste.

On top of these 6 which I listed in no particular order of importance except number 1 which is your website they are many other advertising mediums and methods as well.

One thing I will point out and please don’t take this the wrong way or as me trying to scare you off, but you better have something unique if you’re going to be successful in today’s Outfitting world.
Either you’re going to have incredibly high success rate on representative animals, you’re going to kill some absolutely incredible animals every year, or you’re going to be cheap and attractive to that crowd. If you don’t fall into one of these categories then I’d honestly think very hard about what you’re about to do.
Gone are the days of 20 year repeat deer clientele paying top dollar and killing 120-140 deer with a chance at a 150 deer every 5 years. They can hunt the Midwest US and kill 150” deer every year for half of what a deer hunt in Alberta goes for. That’s why Saskatchewan is cranking out $2500 deer hunts every fall. The same goes with almost any species these days. Be unique and offer something different and you’ll succeed, jump into the mix with the same as the next guy and you’ll likely sink !
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Tork is spot on, first I google say Wyoming antelope outfitters then I go threw their websites, from that I narrow it down by area, price, trophy quality etc etc. Then I google reviews on the outfitters. Try to gather as much Intel from past clients. Then contact the outfitters and some will leave a bad taste in your mouth or whatever.
Then book. Then tell the wife.....
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Booking hunts

When I first started hunting overseas I booked with Jack Atcheson Sr. and found him to be a man of honor. I then had a horrible experience with his two sons and have never and would never book with them again. And that was a very long time ago.

Outfitters do not normally have a big margin to go on and I would rather book directly with them. If possible. If they turn out to be crooks you might not have any redress, however, if you go it alone.

This year I have booked a safari in Zambia directly with the guide/outfitter and the same with an elk hunt for my lady in Old Montana. I know of these guys from a forum out of U.A.E. That service is free which is much different than S.C.I.

I love this site and follow it daily.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM

thanks guys, I will have a website and everything like that. established as well.

thank you for all the help and advice!

berta