Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 PM

Default Hwy 40 Advice Needed

I live in Jasper. Planning a 3 day backcountry ski trip on the Wapta Icefields this weekend. They are between Sask Crossing and Lake Louise on Hwy 93 (Bow Lake area). That’s where I have to get to.

Just got information that a dump of snow will close the Icefields Parkway for avalanche control tomorrow, which is when I hoped to travel south along it to our skiing location. Travel time would have been about 2.5hrs.

Now I have to look at alternate routes to get to Bow Lake. Options are either 753 thru Cynthia, 22 thru Drayton, and Hwy 40 thru Cadomin to Nordegg. All of these options would bring me thru Nordegg to Sask Crossing.

I know that the Hwy 40 option is a way shorter distance than the other options, but rougher road. For those that know this section, should I take it? How much time does it take to get from Cadomin to Nordegg? I drive an F150 and don’t haul drive crazy fast. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 02:03 PM

If the weather is coming in you would be better off 22 drayton valley way. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the Wapta
Old 03-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Highway 40 is a nice drive but I bet it can be rough. Should be nice and plowed out. Could be mucky with the warmer temps.

DV up to Rocky is a good option.

I would do highway 40 for the views but thats me.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:26 PM

Lots of big trucks running hwy 40, so it will be smooth going between Coalspur and Pembina Forks. Haven't been past that point in the winter.
Maybe call the RCMP detachment for an update before you go?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. Good point to call the Mounties and ask.
Keep the advice coming, especially if you’ve traveled that route lately.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:01 PM

This works also as a resource

http://511.alberta.ca/map.html#l=36&...&z=2&lb=1&rb=1
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-28-2018, 04:12 PM

If. It was me,22 through DV to 11 and west.

Have a safe trip either way.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Betting with all the snow, crevasses on the ice fields are going to be difficult to avoid.

Grizz
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM

I was in Edson a couple of days ago and thought about taking 40 so I chatted with a few guys that came from there and they said it wasn't a great drive. With the different dumps of snow and warm temperatures it had everything from washboards, slush, mud, ice and areas that were fine depending on the trees and bushes along the road.
Went via Cynthia and Brazeau Dam instead, farther but I'm sure the good road conditions made up for driving slower on 40. Also saw a lynx between 16 and Cynthia and plenty of eagles on road kills right next to the road which made it a really nice drive
Old 03-28-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
I was in Edson a couple of days ago and thought about taking 40 so I chatted with a few guys that came from there and they said it wasn't a great drive. With the different dumps of snow and warm temperatures it had everything from washboards, slush, mud, ice and areas that were fine depending on the trees and bushes along the road.
Went via Cynthia and Brazeau Dam instead, farther but I'm sure the good road conditions made up for driving slower on 40. Also saw a lynx between 16 and Cynthia and plenty of eagles on road kills right next to the road which made it a really nice drive
Yup, turn south off of HWY 16 on to 753 south to Cynthia, on to Lodgepole, turn right onto 620 you'll come out on HWY 11 about 40 KM west of Rocky Mtn House. Paved all the way.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-28-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Betting with all the snow, crevasses on the ice fields are going to be difficult to avoid.

Grizz
Nah, regular holes will be filled as per usual and big ones will still be open. Good time of year to be skinning across glaciers.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:17 PM

Dave,
Where are you heading?, just came out of the area on the Bow Yoho. Things look good out there as far as coverage go.
Keith
Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 AM

Pile of snow coming to foothills Thursday and Friday so bring chains and a good shovel.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
Dave,

Where are you heading?, just came out of the area on the Bow Yoho. Things look good out there as far as coverage go.

Keith

Unfortunately don’t have the extra day for the full Bow-Yoho traverse. Heading into Louise Guy hut for a couple nights. Might try for a couple peaks and some turns on Des Poilus.

Nice to hear that snow coverage is good. Can’t wait to get some mountain time!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz

Probably the best time of year for glacier travel. Small holes are bridged over by consolidated snow and big holes are visible.

For those that don’t know, a large portion of the glacier travel that we do is fully roped up. Although it is undeniable that risk exists of falling into a crevasse, we do make a big effort to minimize it.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 PM

Take your bear spary, Parks confirmed the first grizzly sighting.