Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 AM

And if you want to be creative with a chainsaw, here is another type of set.
Almost indestructable. Slide the top piece back to drop in bait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.jpg (150.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:08 AM

All my boxes are plywood but tapered so I can stack them. I never leave boxes in the bush so I am always hauling them around. I have used the plastic ones and they work but I found you had to mess around with them a lot. I hang my boxes vertical on the tree face down with one nail. I want to be fast to get things done.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Great ideas guys. Bullgetter do you find a vertical box like that takes more time because you have to hang the bait in it? I like mine horizontal mainly for that reason. I chuck a piece in and it is done. If I had to wire something inside it would be a pain it seems.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 AM

It takes a bit longer the first time to wire bait, but it is quicker mounting the box.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM

I make my boxes out of 1/2" plywood and just set them on the ground with the 160 cabled to a nearby tree. No wiring of bait and no nailing to trees! Each box has a hinged door compartment with a screen on each side to allow the animal to both see and smell the bait from both sides of the box. Out of the 60+ animals I caught this past season with my ground sets, only 1 had any mouse damage to the fur. And that was my fault as I didn't check my line for 2 weeks before I pulled the traps!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Banned

I am planning to build a bunch of box sets. One question I have is I have salvaged a large amount of 3/4" fir plywood that is in great shape but one side has been painted blue or green. Would it make any difference if the wood is not "raw" but painted? Not worried about the smell as paint is well cured, just the color. At the same time I see that the plastic ones at halfords are green.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 AM

Shouldn't be a problem. I also make mine out of plywood! 14 inches long. 8 inch at the front tapered to 4 at the back! Stack nice! But was considering plastic as they would be much lighter

I also just ground set! Over the last 4 years have lost one marten to a fox and lost one red squirrel to a fisher that was caught at the next trap

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-17-2015, 09:11 AM

Color is not issue. Actually guys have done some testing and it sounds like a little red actually seems a bit better they think. I wouldn't set on the ground just because I found that it snows a lot in my area and I am thinking the box would get covered up a lot that way. I also start trapping earlier than you Mark and If weather was warm I would hate to loose a bunch of marten to green belly. If it works for you then giver
Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Couple years ago when we were hanging boxes, one of the gas cans leaked gas on a box. We hung up it up any way, but thought the with gas smell it would be of little use. Susprise was we caught 5 marten one after another each check.
They either liked it or just a great spot.
Read of a report that wolverine liked aviation gas in an alaskan study.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 AM

Default marten

Guys, maybe during long winter marten get bored and want to experience a gasoline sniffing high. Just kidding!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Great ideas guys. Bullgetter do you find a vertical box like that takes more time because you have to hang the bait in it? I like mine horizontal mainly for that reason. I chuck a piece in and it is done. If I had to wire something inside it would be a pain it seems.
The top of my boxes have a hinged lid with a aluminum plate with holes drilled in it inside ( screen mesh would work) I just drop the bait in and drop the lid. Bait part of box is about 5 inch square and 3 in deep.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 PM

Thanks Bullgetter. I have seen Richard Melon's boxes on some of his pictures and it looks like his are a compartment style as well but not sure.

Just spent a couple hrs this AM with all the free wood I picked up and cut enough for 45 more boxes. I did 37 of them a couple weeks ago. We will see how long they last in the bush. I like the idea of those plastic ones. I got some pricing for the Plastic ones that are a bit bigger than Brag's so you don't have to cut the box and it looks like it will be about $8 by the time I get them home. I may go visit the family this summer and bring home a truckload. If I get any extra I will let you guys know if anyone wants any.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Default marten boxess

Nube, we just picked up additional 50 of the tube boxes, next size up. They are 7 inch at front so will handle larger traps without cutting. We averaged $8 Ca all costs in, partner picked up in US without high shipping cost to Canada as quite bulky.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Nube, we just picked up additional 50 of the tube boxes, next size up. They are 7 inch at front so will handle larger traps without cutting. We averaged $8 Ca all costs in, partner picked up in US without high shipping cost to Canada as quite bulky.
Thanks. It looks like I was about right on the cost. I just got a quote the other day and will be getting some for sure.